The Huron Herald

Discussion in 'Newspapers & Other Publications' started by Amle, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

Can anyone help me dust my cobwebs?
    Sometime time ago I found a newspaper article for a relative of mine Ann Davey. She died on 11th May 1894 in Everett, Woodson, Kansas, USA. There was a lovely obituary in the Huron Herald. I managed to copy it but I am now no longer able to open the file. I copied it on to a word document and it was alright.
    Can anyone tell me where I found that obituary?
    This reads a daft request but it makes sense to me!
    With thanks
    Elizabeth

2. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

I can't find the obituary. All I was able to find was

Atchison Daily Globe 11 May 1894
    upload_2016-8-31_15-54-32.png

I will keep looking.

Amle likes this.
  3. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

Well I haven't seen that one so thank you Chimp.

4. Chimp

I found this copy on someone's genealogy page. I have copied it.

The Huron Herald (Atchison Co. KS) 17 May 1894,
    Obituary of Ann Davey

"On the fifth day of May 1811, Ann Godfrey was born in England
    where she spent the years of her early life. May 5, 1842 she was married to Charles Davey and they came to America in 1844 and to Kansas at an early date. Her husband died in April, 1884 and she has since made her home with her children She was the mother of seven children, six of whom are still living and leaves thirty five grandchildren. She was a member of the Church of England with which she united when a child until about three years ago when she identified herself with the Christian Church of this place.
    Her death occurred May 11th, caused by heart disease from which she had suffered for a long time. The funeral services were conducted by Elder Bayless, pastor of the Horton Baptist Church from the Christian Church at one o'clock, P.M. Saturday and interment was at Miller Cemetery. A large concourse of friends followed the remains to the last resting place, where dust to dust returneth; while the soul finds its biding place beyond the River of Death.
    The services were beautifully appropriate both at the church and
    cemetery. The pall bearers were Wm. Sayre, L. B. Langstong, James Billingslea, Wm. Snaveley, G. V. Garretson and James Morgan.
    The life of grandma Davey was a beautiful one and marked with good work and actions that will keep her name a pleasant recollection in the memory of many. She was always ready to lend a helping hand in the time of distress and many of her neighbors have been comforted and nursed to health by her presence and help.
    The living children are George and Thomas Davey and Mrs E. Perdue of Huron, Mrs Abe Maxwell and Mrs Whittington of Horton and James Davey of Axtell, KS.

Ma-dotcom and Amle like this.
  5. Chimp

I take it you know about this
    Code:
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=54176876

Amle likes this.
  6. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

Thanks again Chimp that is the obituary I was trying to find and couldn't. Maybe I had originally seen it on someone's page but it was hiding this time. I could find the grave reference though.
    Now I just have to sort out Word on my computer or I might have a bigger problem. I have an apple mac and I am not very clever. I think they are a family historians nightmare.
    I am glad you found that obituary for me thanks very much.
    Elizabeth

Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  7. MarkJ

MarkJ Well-Known Member

Are you unable to open it because of a change in your version of your operating system or word processor?
    If so, I may be able to open it and convert it to a readable form for you. I don't use Windows but have a fair number of different ways to open old files etc - I have helped others on the forum here in the past with old files.
    If you want me to have a go, drop me a message via the messagey thingy here and I will see what I can do

Findem, Ma-dotcom, AnnB and 1 other person like this.
  8. Chimp

My Word has played up since I got windows 7. If I try to open a file from the the library or a downloaded file on my computer it comes up with a fault and wont open. The only way I can open it is to open word first, then open the file from there. Bit awkward but it works.

Also have problems when closing Word too. It comes up with a fault and asks if it should search the net for answers. I just click cancel and it closes anyway.

Amle likes this.
  9. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

That is very kind Mark
    It's not strictly true that I cant open the file, the files open but then freezes (or keeps churning) and I cant do anything with it, so I stopped trying, if that makes sense. I haven't changed anything and have used Word on my computer for a couple of years. I bet there is a simple answer but not for me. Thanks again Mark
    Elizabeth