The Lady Vanishes

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by MollyMay, Jul 4, 2020.

1. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Can anyone find anything to help my cousin, we have both searched but can find nothing on this lady.

Caoline Evans was the 6th and youngest child of Charles and Hannah (Meredith) - the rest of the family are all sorted.
    From Caroline's birth certificate....
    Registration district Marylebone. Birth in the sub-district of All Souls in the County of Middlesex. 18th December 1846 at 2 Castle Court, Caroline Evans, girl, father Charles Evans, mother Hannah Evans formerly Meredith, father's occupation porter. The X mark of Hannah Evans, mother, 2 Castle Court. Registered 28 Jan 1847.
    Here's the family in 1851
    1851 census HO107; Piece: 1486; Folio: 732; Page: 82; 3 Booth Place, Marylebone, Charles Evans age 46, porter born Middlesex, Hannah Evans age 40 born Middlesex, Charles Evans age 13, John Evans age 11, Edward Evans age 9, Martha Evans age 19, dressmaker, Hannah Evans age 14, Caroline Evans age 4 all born Middlesex.
    Caroline then vanishes, she is not with the family in 1861, and finally re-emerges in 1882 as Caroline Jones
    Registration District Lambeth 1882 Death in the Sub-District of Lambeth Church 2nd in the County of Surrey. Twenty first February 1882 at 11 Richmond St, Lambeth, Hannah Evans, female, age 75 years, widow of John Evans, auctioneer's porter, cause chronic bronchitis. Certified by W, Arthur, MRCS, Informant, X the mark of Caroline Jones, daughter, in attendance, 70 Judd Street King's Cross. Registered 22 Feb 1882.
    We know that Hannah's husband's name is wrong on her d/c. but it is definitely the right Hannah as she is living at the address given on the 1881 census.
    Where was Caroline between 1851 and 1882?
    Then there is an entry in the London workhouse admissions/discharges register on Ancestry for a Caroline Evans age 23, being in the Marylebone workhouse/infirmary with a child John Evans, which suggests he is a newborn and son of Caroline. Admitted 6 July 1868 and discharged 21 July 1868. Shown as having no address. The child John died (we found birth and death reg's both the same qtr). This may or may not be our Caroline
    She is not the Caroline Evans niece to George Mitchell on the 1861 census RG09/36/104/13
    She is not the Caroline Jones with husband William in Camberwell in 1871 RG10/724/71/11
    We did find a Caroline Jones on the 1881 census living at 63 Judd Street - RG11/191/34/8 Her yob is now 1850 and she has 5 children, none of which we can find as being registered with mmn Evans, nor can we find a marriage to a Mr Jones. We cannot find this family before or after 1881

If you managed to stay with this all the way through, then any help, as ever, will be gratefully recieved.

2. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

Have you considered this family?

1871 RG10/373/16/25 - 11a Mount Pleasant, Finsbury

John JONES 25 b. Lancashire
    Caroline JONES 24 b. Pancras
    Elizabeth JONES 3 b. Pancras
    John JONES 1 b. Pancras

John George JONES and Caroline EVANS are two of the four listed on the Marriage index - Sep Q. 1867 St. Giles. I can't find an original certificate.

GRO Birth index for John born Dec Q 1869 Pancras - mmn EVANS

GRO Birth index for Elizabeth Hannah born Jun Q 1868 Pancras - mmn EVANS

Struggling to find them on later census, but will keep looking.

3. MollyMay

Oooh that looks good @Jellylegs.
    I do not think we had found that one, there are quite a few Caroline Evans about (more than I thought there would be). I will pass that on:)

Thank you {-(^^)-}

Jellylegs likes this.
  4. Jellylegs

If it is the correct family, the two children's baptisms were in St. Luke, Westminster (found on FMP) - 1868 and 1869

MollyMay likes this.
  5. MollyMay

I am not usre if things are getting clearer or the waters are even more muddied.
    Following on to the marriage Jellylegs found I looked for the family in 1881.
    I am sure I have John Jones listed as son-in-law to one Charles Curling, wife Elizabeth and children. Checking on the children's birth reg their mmn was Jones, even though John says born Liverpool and Elizabeth Wales. So perhaps brother in law was the relationship. RG11/191/8/10 - 32 Judd Street.
    The Caroline we found in 1881 was living at 63 Judd Street, and at 70 Judd Street when she witnessed her mother's death.
    It just has to be the right family - doesn't it?

I just wish I could find birth regs for the children with Caroline (no Elizabth Hannah 1868 or John1869)

6. Jellylegs

I've found Frank and John - and a Jane, rather than Jenny in 1880. Off for dinner now, but will be back.
    upload_2020-7-4_20-11-10.png

7. MollyMay

Thanks again for you help.

Ada, I think is Annie 1872 , John is ? Herbert Richard1878 , Charles is Charles 1873. All registered Pancras or Holborn
    The ages fit with the children with Caroline in 1881.
    I am now working on the deaths of these children, Elizabeth Hannah and John died, at 4 and 5. Frank at 14 Charles at 17 if John is Herbert Richard he dies as John age 6 again all registered Holborn or Pancras.
    Jenny is the odd one out - there is a death reg for a Jenny Jones but in Islington age 2 in 1882 nothing in Pancras or Holborn that fits for her.
    it looks like Caroline lost most of her children before adulthood:(

Jellylegs likes this.
  8. Jellylegs

I did find the Charles, registered in Holborn, but not the other two. It makes it difficult when they use different names on the census to what they are baptised or registered with.

I was off looking for baptisms ;)

MollyMay likes this.
  9. MollyMay

I discovered that you can put just the surname and the mmn on FMP - civil births set, and enter a place (London for these children) and it gives all the results - much easier than working through the GRO index 2 years at a time.

It looks like only Annie/Ada survived.
    I think I have Caroline as a widowed inmate in the workhouse in 1911, so just the 1891 and 1901 census to find her on.

Jellylegs likes this.
  10. Jellylegs

If the Caroline you found in the 1911 is yours, then she could be here in previous census (always a shirt maker).

1891 RG12/122/43/10
    1901 RG13/141/43/77

MollyMay likes this.
  11. Jellylegs

And then a death for her in the St. Pancras South Infirmary on 21 Nov 1915. It looks as though there is a page to the right giving other info, but it doesn't look as though they have been filmed :(

MollyMay likes this.
  12. MollyMay

Those 2 certainly fit with the workhouse record for 1911.

My cousin will have a lot to sort through and make some decisions, come the morning

Typical:headbang: