1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The mysterious Annie Bowditch

Discussion in 'Dorset' started by mugwortismy cat, Sep 12, 2015.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

My cousin Simon Bowditch (1824 Beaminster) married his first wife Sarah BRYANT in Beaminster in 1849. They had one child before she died in 1856. He then married Sarah's sister Lucy in Bridport in 1856, with whom he had no children. Lucy died in 1878.

He then married a much younger woman called Matilda Martha (or Martha Matilda) PAFFORD in 1880 in Melplash, with whom he had at least one child. Matilda gave me the run around for a while but I have eventually tracked down all records for her prior to her marriage under the following surnames: PAVET, PAVITT, PAVORD.

Simon died in 1892, and Matilda then married Frank THOMAS in 1894, presumably the Frank Thomas who was lodging with her and Simon in 1891. After this I can't find her.

Matilda had an illegitimate son, John William PAFFORD (registered as PAVARD) born in Stoford, a hamlet in the parish of Barwick, near Yeovil, Somerset reg. Jun 1876. He appears in the census in 1881 and 1891 as a Bowditch, but marries as Pafford and can be found as Pafford in 1901 in North Stoneham.

In this 1901 census appears an Annie BOWDITCH born 1882 Beaminster, enumerated as Sister-in-law, which I take to mean step-sister (especially as his wife Emily is a WHITTLE).

I cannot find Annie in 1891; the closest birth reg I found is for Annie BOWDITCH in Beaminster RD reg. Dec 1883.

Questions:
    1. Can anyone find Annie in 1891? or did she just get left off the return?
    2. Am I safe to assume that Annie is the child of Simon and Matilda? even if we can't find the 1891 census?

Census refs:
    Simon Bowditch and family in 1891 - RG12: 1661: 27: 18
    John W Pafford and family in 1901 - RG13: 1071: 20: 32

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  2. mugwortismy cat

Also puzzled by 1911 census when John's wife is suddenly called Annie?! especially given

Marriages Dec 1896
    Manning
    George Southampton 2c 59
    PAFFORD John William Southampton 2c 59
    WHITE Annie Southampton 2c 59
    Whittle Emily Southampton 2c 59

3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

In a word, no :(

I'm sure you've found Annie Bowditch born and living in Chetnole in 1891, daughter of Nicodemus? (RG12/1657/26/9) That's about the nearest I can get :headbang:

Ann

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  4. mugwortismy cat

I'd love to have Nicodemus in my tree :D, but so far he isn't part of the Bowditch family I am connected to

Well, I have half-heartedly played around a little and come to the conclusion that John William Pafford married Annie White and not Emily Whittle, as I can find an Annie White born around the right time in the right place but not an Emily Whittle. Also I found a George and Emily Manning in 1901 living in Southampton St Mary.

Quite why John's wife would be called Emily in 1901 and Annie in 1911 I don't know. I wondered if perhaps Annie and Emily had swapped names and it should have been Annie Pafford and Emily Bowditch, but I found no birth of an Emily Bowditch to match.

Another thought is Simon fathered Annie with some woman other than Matilda :confused: -- or there is a completely different relationship between John and Annie than that stated ...

So do I add Annie Bowditch to the tree as Simon's daughter for now, and hope to come across an answer later?

AnnB and Ma-dotcom like this.
  5. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Why not add Annie as a "P" player with notes as to doubts etc? Easily removed later if she doesn't fit.

6. Sandiep

Sandiep Well-Known Member

funny thing earlier I thought I had cracked it wnen looking for a marriage o a Pafford to a Bowditch Simon & Matilda only one then re read and where was Annie in 1891
    had a look at http://www.census-helper.co.uk/census-confusions/ to see if it gave any other reasons for "sister in law" interesting site but not sure it helped.

if John wasn't Simons son but Annie was his that would be reason for putting sister in law(step sister)

7. Sandiep

There is an Annie Bowditch born 1884 niece born Bedminster living with a George and Elizabeth woods there is also a Christina Peach niece
    in South Stoneham Southampton
    RG12 piece 925 olio 124 page 31

meant to put they left T out Bowdich

AnnB and mugwortismy cat like this.
  8. mugwortismy cat

Thank you Wendy, yes I can add her now, remove her later if necessary -- just needed someone to back me up I guess, obviously I am not dealing well with uncertainty right now :rolleyes:

Sandie, that is an interesting 1891 find :), I didn't see that one myself -- so far no known links to Woods or Peach that I can think of, at least not on the Bowditch side -- I don't yet know much about Matilda's family

Ma-dotcom and Sandiep like this.
  9. mugwortismy cat

No wonder I didn't find it, Ancestry transcription is BENDICK :eek: while I can see that the name could end in -dick or -dich, I have no idea how Bow- became Ben- ... it looks perfectly clear to me :rolleyes:

Looks like the link is pretty firmly via Matilda, George Woods is born in Berwick, the same area of Somerset that Matilda is from. Probably something as simple as her mother's maiden name --- still have to check all that out

Now feel happy that the mysterious Annie is a child of Simon and Matilda

Sandiep, AnnB and Ma-dotcom like this.
  10. Ma-dotcom

Missed all the fun of the search, had to leave home with my Mannie just as I got started.:(
    All okay now, will wait for the next mystery.:reading:

Sandiep, Sis and mugwortismy cat like this.
  11. mugwortismy cat

Well, I now know that the Woods are Matilda's paternal aunt and her husband. So everything is clear. In fact I had previously found Matilda with them in 1861 :rolleyes: so the link was there already but I'd forgotten :oops:

Ma-dotcom, Sandiep, Sis and 1 other person like this.
  12. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who does that sort of thing :rolleyes:
    Glad that's another of your mysteries solved ;)

Ann

Ma-dotcom and mugwortismy cat like this.
  13. Sandiep

I have done this so many times .....hubbie has changed computer a couple of times or remade and although I save the files to a USB (I have loads!!) I still haven't sorted them properly hence like you I often spend ages looking or something I already have......good job I am retired:confused: :rolleyes:

14. Ma-dotcom

I spent almost a full day recently re-searching & probing & delving to prove the pairing of a couple. Already had them in legacy as married but only RGO index with no 2nd names, only initials. Happily 1901/1911 census & 15 years of following electorals with family at same address & female spouse with both Christian names cemented it for me. [Had notes of this in Legacy]

I then took the giant step of messaging a Lady (who had this lass as married to some-one else) & told her what I had found. Only 2 such names in births,one in Aston,Warwickshire & 1 in Bermondsey. 20 yrs apart. The Lady with the tree relied on an initial 'M' for 2nd name. Lots of them about. :)
    With marriages I asked for full name & it only came up with initial but attached to my 2nd cousin..so began the search to prove. No certificate or t'shirt but I'm convinced.
    Just hope I haven't upset the Lady with the tree, thee is another tree with corrrect pairing of first Lasses couple, so if she checks that all may be well.

15. FarFromMelbury

FarFromMelbury Member

I'm from the States (Minnesota), am new to this forum, and came upon it while researching my 2nd great grandfather William Henry Childs (or Chiles) of Melbury Osmond and vicinity, who on the occasion of his 1834 second marriage suddenly appears as William Childs Pavitt -- a member of a household also recorded as Pavord. So I was very interested to see that Pafford (a surname to which I have a Y-DNA connection) has been found to be a variant not only of Pavord, but also of Pavitt/Pavet.

It turns out that 2nd GG William was apparently born to an unwed Ann Chiles (later, Childs), which is how my family acquired the surname. But in 1825, when William was 13, Ann married John Pavitt/Pavord... and in 1833, after William's first wife died just three years into their marriage, John & Ann evidently took in William's infant son John Childs. It's a year later that William remarries and -- intermittently -- starts using the Pavitt name. Whether John (or other male Pavitt/Pavord) was William's actual father, we don't know, and it may take advanced DNA testing to figure out the actual paternal line. But I'm very interested in hearing from anyone familiar with the Childses/Chileses and/or the Pavitts/Pavords/Paffords from that part of the world.

mugwortismy cat, Ma-dotcom and Doug like this.
  16. FarFromMelbury

FarFromMelbury Member

BTW I meant to add that on my maternal side, we are also Bowditches, tho' any connection to Annie Bowditch would lie far back in the mists of history; our first Bowditch ancestor came across the Pond to Salem, Massachusetts, in I think 1639.

17. FarFromMelbury

FarFromMelbury Member

And now, the latest chapter in the Pavitt/Pavord/Pavard/PaverdPavoord/Pafford drama: found a tree in which "Pavard" is also shown in the variant "Pavert"... which, as a soundalike, is about as close to "Pavitt" as one can get. And, in the search for the English ancestors of my Newfoundland Pafford Y-DNA kin -- known variant, Pavoord -- we found (in England) two brothers, Samuel and Thomas, in the right time period to _just possibly_ be the Samuel and Thomas who were the first of the Paffords to emigrate. Except that there's a family legend of the brothers' simultaneous demise, at sea, that doesn't seem to fit with the newfound (pun entirely intended) brothers. Stay tuned for further developments...

Findem, Nightryder, MollyMay and 4 others like this.