'The Other Man'

Discussion in 'Divorce' started by dizzyme, Jan 17, 2014.

1. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

Hi,

Can anyone spot a gentleman with a intriguing name of Montague Tempest Varie, in any records?

He was citied as the 'other man' in a divorce petition in 1924 that are held at The National Archives. The lady in question married my gt grandfather several years later! :rolleyes::D

His name makes me want to know more about him ;) and I can't see him!!

Karen

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  2. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

What an interesting name, Karen. I don't have access to any records so I tried the web. Google isn't my friend in this case - I put in his whole name and came up with all sorts of things, but mainly Shakespeare. Will be interesting to see if you can dig up any information about him. With a name like that, surely he can't turn out to be just plain mediocre!!!

Good luck!!!

dizzyme likes this.
  3. dizzyme

I haven't been able to come up with anything either - frustrating!!!

Would be a shame if he is as you say he turns out to be mediocre :( Wonder if it's a 'stage name'. :confused: The cost of the divorce papers is £22.00! Not a great deal but the lady was a second marriage into my family. Would be nice to visit the National Archives and have a look - one day maybe....

Karen

4. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Karen,

Can you share any more info? In which area of UK did this divorce take place? Any idea when approx he was born?

5. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Karen have you tried Hugh Wallis' middle names? (maybe too early tho') in which area was he last seen?

6. dizzyme

I have no info on him at all except his name on the divorce papers. She would have been about 38 years and it was in Lancashire in 1924. :D

Karen

7. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

That's some help, Karen, but I'm struggling to find the guy.

dizzyme likes this.
  8. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Well, I've tried all possible permutations of the name - Montague Tempest Varie.
    Tried: Montague Tempest, Montague V*rie/Var*/V*ry, V*re, even tried Tempest Montague thinking it possible Montague was his surname, but have I found anything no! Sorry, I've failed Karen.

Experience tells me: if anyone can dig him out it will be Huncamunca [apologies to anyone else if you do manage to find him] but Huncamunca has 'sniffing out' qualities I don't possess. Maybe others have too.

Eve, Bay Horse, dizzyme and 3 others like this.
  9. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

This man interests me greatly - just LOVE his name.

Tried "Bing" when Google didn't come up with the goods and found the entry below. Doesn't tell you much but does involve two of the surnames. In the same document (something to do with the peerage, but of course I neglected to take notes) are several surnames which are variations of "Varie" - might be of interest?

Colonel Rt. Hon. Oliver Frederick George Stanley was born on 4 May 1896.1 He was the son of Edward George Villiers Stanley, 17th Earl of Derby and Lady Alice Maude Olivia Montagu.1 He married Lady Maureen Helen Vane-Tempest-Stewart, daughter of Charles Stewart Henry Vane-Tempest-Stewart, 7th Marquess of Londonderry and Hon. Edith Helen Chaplin, on 4 November 1920.1 He died on 10 December 1950 at age 54.1

dizzyme and Mealymoo like this.
  10. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

That's all interesting, Philippa. You've certainly found more than I did.

As an aside, Philippa is more often than not shortened to Pip in the UK, is it so in Aus?

Not that I'm suggesting you should be happy to be known as Pip, oh no........my full name is Susan Elizabeth, and if anyone called me Sue my mum would be very cross, I, when a toddler pronounced my name 'too too Libby' and Libby has always stuck within the family.

11. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Yes, Pip is not unknown here, MM. Also "Flip" and "Pippa". Possibly not so common because the name itself doesn't seem to appear a lot. Until I came to Canberra, just before I became a grandmother, I'd only met another 2 and they were both during my school years (and their name too, was used in full).

My parents and most of my family never called me anything but Philippa. Although I had a couple of short versions inflicted on me when I was growing up, they have thankfully disappeared, mainly because of my other half. When we met he wouldn't call me anything at all until he discovered my "real" name. Because of him the others have eventually fallen into those dark mists of time!!!!

12. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Too true, Mealymoo. Huncamunca seems to be one of a kind.

Now, anyone seen Huncamunca? :p

Huncamunca and Mealymoo like this.
  13. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

I can find a Montague Vera born c 1881, Paddington and living in Fulham in 1901. 1911 electoral roles have Montague Vere living at
    69 Kenyon street
    Fulham and the 1934 records have him on Coulston St., Hammersmith and Fulham..

Do you think this may be a possibility?

Should note there is also another one ...... 2nd name is Coulston

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  14. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Ooh yes, I like it! And think he's a 'possible'. Well done Sue.

dizzyme likes this.
  15. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Philippa is a lovely name, and I think warrants it's full title.

Philippa likes this.
  16. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I'd only come across the same as Sue with Coulson or Colison as 2nd name. Did wonder if he gave a your Lady a 'guess who I am' name . Tried the marriages to get a Tempest in, but no luck.

Even tried variations of Varie, got a lot of 'varied/ation' hits as a word-no name.

dizzyme likes this.
  17. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Anc. Have Montague C Vere from 1881 (1 month), 1891, 1901 & 1911 plus his marriage and his probate record 1957(he left everything to his widow Gertrude Lillian, the lady he married in 1908).

dizzyme likes this.
  18. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

The marriage on 15 August 1908 is on London England Marriages and Banns and the names of the witnesses may be of assistance.

dizzyme likes this.
  19. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

mmmm, no luck so far, I'm afraid, Mealymoo: he is still eluding me.

I am wondering if the 'Varie' is a transcription error by the indexers. It is tempting to think he may really have been a Vane, for the names Vane and Tempest in various permutations do go hand-in-hand, as Philippa found in post #9. No sign of any Montagues yet though. :(

I did spot a (Mr) M. Vane Tempest in cast lists of various theatre productions from the 1920s to the 1940s, touring all over the place. So far I haven't found any reference to what the M stood for.

Finally, I went up an interesting but blind alley after finding a Montague Vane alias Darling. Unfortunately he didn't survive the First World War so can't be the mystery 'other man'.

P.S. Next time I am at Kew I can take a look at those divorce papers to see if there are any more clues there.

20. dizzyme

Thank you all for looking!!! :) He is an elusive character.. The name conjures up an image of the typical 'leading man'! Wonder what reality is?

I did wonder if it was a stage name as I think she may have been a dance trouper but no confirmation of that (if it was a stage name, wouldn't his real name be used in legal matters?).

In 1911, she worked in a cotton mill. How likely is that kind of career change for someone in their mid twenties and married? Having said that, she must have as she met my gt grandfather about 1930ish and married him in 1933! He was on the 'stage'. She was the 'other woman' in his divorce!

Thank you very much Huncamunca for the offer of looking at the divorce papers next time you are at Kew ():-) We are a nosey lot ;):D

Karen

Ma-dotcom, Half Hour and Huncamunca like this.