The Pineapple Inn (Pub), Leicester

Discussion in 'Brewers & Licensed Victuallers' started by TheBestOfTimes, Jan 8, 2017.

1. TheBestOfTimes

TheBestOfTimes Member

My Great Grandfather, Thomas Warner was the landlord of the Pineapple Inn on what is now St Margaret's Way in Leicester. Previously he lived at the Newfoundpool Working Men's Club approximately 2 miles away which was also in Leicester (57 Beatrice Road) I would love to see any pictures from the Pineapple Inn from those years which would be approximately 1911 through to 1923. The Pineapple was within yard's of a massive factory in Leicester called Corah's, I would imagine that the workforce may have used this pub regularly! pineapple.jpg
    Not sure of the year here approximately 1950's?

Half Hour likes this.
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

From the photograph above, I see that it was a managed house from Courage Breweries. Perhaps contacting the brewery archives could shed some light?

Their webpage is at
    Code:
    http://takecourage.info/
    and they have a 'contact us' page.

Good luck! :D

3. TheBestOfTimes

TheBestOfTimes Member

excellent idea!

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

According to Street View on Google Maps it is now the Kashmiri Cuisine. Apart from single pane replacement windows the facade appears to be untouched.

TheBestOfTimes likes this.
  5. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Another image can be seen here
    Code:
    http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/leicestershire/leicester_pineapple.html
    and here
    Code:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisdpyrah/6925416487

6. mikejee

mikejee Well-Known Member

The link given above seems to be a page devoted to the history of Courage, but not a link to their archives. the 2010 report at https://content.historicengland.org...tions/brewing-archive/bhs-archive-report.pdf/ says this about Courage records:
    5 Courage Archive The Courage Archive was formerly kept on the Courage site in Bristol (previously Bristol Brewery Georges), but brewing ceased there in 1999 and the area is currently being redeveloped. The archive is now based at Avonmouth, where there is no direct public access, although research can be undertaken by the archivist, Dr Ken Thomas (email capelnewydd(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk). The postal address is: Courage Archive, c/o Harrow Green, Portview Road, Avonmouth, Bristol BS11 9JG. See Richmond and Turton pp116-9 for details of the holdings. In addition, the London Metropolitan Archives has a large holding of Courage & Co material (ACC/2305).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2017
  7. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

There's a Facebook page called "The Story of Leicester" and there are quite a few old photos featured, some from the Leicester City Council. I didn't spend a lot of time "trawling" but it could be worth your while taking a look. I think there's a facility for leaving messages too so maybe you could post a question?

Another option could be making contact with the council itself - they must have an archive (so hopefully an archivist) otherwise the photos wouldn't be available.

Good luck.