The punishment of Birching

Discussion in 'Isle of Man' started by Findem, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Just wondering if any Manx person can tell me if Birching is still on the statute books?

A couple of low life thieves a few days ago ripped off (literally) some bronze vases at a local Crematorium and then tried to sell them for scrap metal, they have been arrested by the way.

Discussing it with my son I mentioned it's a shame people like that aren't Birched on top of any other sentence they will get. I then related about some youths from mainland England, London I think, who got up to mischief on the Isle of Man and were Birched on their backsides, this would be pre 1974. I remember that when they arrived back in England during a news interview they made it clear they wouldn't want that experience ever again. I've often thought it would be a good punishment for a lot of the senseless acts of violence we are seeing these days.

Malcolm Webb, Ma-dotcom and Half Hour like this.
  2. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

I believe it came off the statute books, Findem. Seem to remember something on the local tv news about it, years back.

3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Last birching took place in 1976, with the birching law finally repealed in 1993 .

For a history of birching from 1945 to 1976 on the Isle of Man, have a look here:
    corpun.com/manx.htm

(PS Just moved this to a thread of its own... ;) )

4. Jack Richards

Jack Richards Guest

Slightly adrift of the question but a snippet of info.

In 1962 and for several years thereafter, I can remember a piece of equipment (hope this is the correct word) that was on display upstairs in a room at a police station that was located about 3 miles from Manchester City centre. It was “birching equipment” and was on four legs, shaped body similar to a horse, leather upholstered and had equipment attached to secure a person to the “horse”. It was not on display to the general public.

There was other “bits and pieces” that belonged to the equipment. Maybe later this may have been put in the Manchester Police museum, but this is a guess.

Daft Bat likes this.
  5. Daft Bat

Police Museums are fascinating, Jack. I once had the opportunity to visit the one in Wapping, London. Lots of rather macabre bits and pieces on show!

6. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Himself tells me that a clip under the ear & a kick up the backside was normal sport/punishment meted out by the constabulary in his day which seemed to work wonders in keeping young louts/Lads in check.

Half Hour likes this.
  7. Malcolm Webb

Malcolm Webb Well-Known Member

I remember once getting a clip round the back of the head with a policeman's cape. I daren't go home and tell my dad or I would have got another.

All the best,
    Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

Bay Horse likes this.
  8. Bookworm

Bookworm Now in the arms of the Angels

Scrap metal thieves are rife in our area at the moment - stealing lead from Church roofs, removing man-hole covers from streets etc but one of the worst I came across was when we drove past the local cemetery and I noticed the rifle had disappeared from the statue commemorating those who had died in the Boer War. Yes, some morons had climbed up the Memorial and stolen the rifle - so they reported in the local newspaper, they haven't been caught yet. Why do they do it?

9. Daft Bat

Greed.

10. Jack Richards

Jack Richards Guest

Sheila asked “Why do they do it?”

Several reasons can offered probably the main one being that at present weighing in scrap metal at local scrap metal dealers pays good money and they don't care at all where they “nick” it from. In my experience of such matters, often it was mostly itinerant (mobile) travellers / persons who were one step up from the old “rag and bone man” who pulled and pushed his hand cart. Prior to the 1964 Scrap Metal Dealers Act (1.4.1965), I think it wan an old 1861 Act that applied.

Again in my experience of the years 1962 to 1989, scrap metal dealers kept “records” that complied with the law, especially in a city such as Manchester, where detective officers paid regular, often weekly, visits to the metal dealers business premises. Such officers would have signed the dealers received books to say they had visited and were satisfied. Often uniformed officers may have visited. Nevertheless, stolen scrap metal was taken in by some registered scarp metal dealers. I had better say no more! I was tempted to give you two true examples.

As to the thieves, mostly they do not care where they acquire their “loot” - they have no conscience. I had better get off my “soapbox” now before the Boss “Daft Bat” smacks my little fat legs.

Bookworm and Ma-dotcom like this.
  11. Daft Bat

More likely to ask you to move over, Jack! ;)

12. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Shame, maybe it's time to put it back on all the statute books.

I should mention that the reason the police caught those two low life cretins was because of a tip-off from a Scrap Metal Dealer, top marks to whoever the informant was.

By the way to make the crime even more heinous some of the vases had been taken from the section containing the war dead.

13. Jack Richards

Jack Richards Guest

Birching – a few years ago, I was discussing some old photos with an elderly couple who had been born and lived all their lives in a nearby north east Derbyshire village to that of my home village of Palterton. Upon identifying an individual on one photo, they identified a man, now deceased, who years ago had been given the “birch rod” (their words). Apparently he had “indecently assaulted” (my words) a young woman in the village, whilst he too was a young man. The story goes he had been given “six strokes”. The man was a coal miner at a nearby pit and at the end of each “shift” - (the local name for a days work in the pit), the man / men bathed in the pit head baths – long rows of showers, no privacy, you all stood naked in a line showering. Each working day throughout his working life, the scarring on his back was clearly visible for all to see and he had to live with that. They said “he took his scarring and shame to his grave”. Sadly, maybe the woman victim may have taken her hurt to her grave. I believe this to be a true story.

Findem likes this.