The Read women ...

Discussion in 'Hampshire' started by mugwortismy cat, Mar 8, 2022.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Elizabeth Emma ANDREWS married Henry READ Dec 1884 Beaminster RD, Dorset (Elizabeth didn't use her middle name much, not even when she married but it is recorded at some of the baptisms of her children)

They had 9 children, 4 of which were girls, the first girl (and first child) was Alice Beatrice born in 1885 and I need no help with her, nor do I need any help with the 5 boys. The other girls are :

Mary Jane born Mar 1891 Halstock, Dorset
    Louisa born Jun 1895 Charlton Horethorne, Somerset
    Gladys Lily born Dec 1899 West Dean, Wiltshire

in 1901 and 1911 the family are living at Lower Farm Cottage, Owslebury, Winchester. In 1911 Alice Beatrice has married and is in London, Louisa is in service in Winchester, all the other 7 children are at home. Of those who interest us Mary is also a domestic servant, Gladys has no occupation (presumably still at school as she is 11).

This is the last time I can find Mary Jane, Louisa, and Gladys Lily. Just wondering if anyone can find anything before I give up and move on

2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

There is a Gladys Lily Read born 1899 on the 1921 census for St Pancras and there is a Louisa Read born 1895 on the 1921 census for Fulham. There are a lot of Mary Jane Reads :rolleyes: As their sister, Alice, is known to have moved to London, maybe they went too?

3. mugwortismy cat

ooh maybe, in 1911 Alice is in St Pancras, and 1919 in Kensington, I'll have a look

I know, how many Mary Janes can there be? :rolleyes: and since her parents gave Alice Beatrice quite a distinctive name why couldn't they manage the same with the other girls?

AnnB likes this.
  4. mugwortismy cat

I am pretty sure that is Gladys, not so certain of Louisa

Thanks

I think I have Gladys Lily's marriage now :)
    Though she'd be Gladys Lilian when she died, though that's happened before Lilys turning into Lilians

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
    AnnB likes this.
  5. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I wasn’t sure about Louisa, but Gladys Lily was a fairly safe bet :) As you say, it would have been so much easier if their parents had given them all distinctive Christian names :D

mugwortismy cat likes this.