The Richard Fowlers

Discussion in 'Herefordshire' started by Tony Fowler, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Tony Fowler

Tony Fowler New Member

I have two ancestors called Richard. One born 1796 in Canon Pyon, Herefordshire, the son of Thomas Fowler and Ann Cox.The other born in Weobley, Herefordshire in 1797, the son of William Fowler and Hester Munn (my direct line). I can find no trace of the former in either death or census records. The latter I have traced via 1841-1871 census' through Hereford and Radnorshire. Both births are recorded in Parish records.

Even further back their direct ancestor Edward(born Birley, Herefords.1672) married Maria Unknown. His father was Robert Fowler born circa 1638 with a very tenuous connection to Stretton under Fosse, Gloucs. His siblings Robert and William were born in Hope under Dinmore and Thornbury, Herefords respectively. I always thought that Fowler being of Norman origin would be traceable further back, but who knows?

Any advice or information most welcome

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hi Tony,

I can find no trace of the burial for the first Richard either. :( However, I have seen the other information (baptism, marriage of Thomas and Ann etc) on Family Search. Unfortunately, the parish does not seem to have been covered by FreeReg. :(

Have you checked the actual parish registers to see if the first Richard died at a young age? If you are not able to get to the Hereford RO, perhaps the Herefordshire FHS might be able to help. They do have a burial index CD from 1813 to 1839, but then that might be too late if he died as a baby. :(

Tony Fowler likes this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Have you considered transportation?
    Always the next step for me, just in case, knowing my love of convict history.
    There are two Richard Fowlers listed. One to Tasmania in 1831. He was married with two children but was convicted at Stafford which is a bit of a hike from Hertfordshire. Still you never know.
    Another was sent to NSW in 1833. I have not looked for his details yet.
    Worth a try!

Tony Fowler likes this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Might he have moved into Gloucestershire?
    Richard Fowler married Sarah Moss, 31 May 1819 at Winterbourne, Gloucestershire, England. oh-oh he appears on 1841 census with family & said to be born Gloucestershire :(
    There is tho' another Richard b.Herefordshire a farmer with a wife Sarah & children
    HO107; Piece: 430; Book: 14; Civil Parish: Leominster; County: Herefordshire; Enumeration District: 4a; Folio: 3; Page: 9;
    1851 census says he was b. Weobley about 5 miles from Canon Pyon.

Also a Richard b.1796 b.? - Ind. at Stapleton :
    : HO107; Piece: 378; Book: 13; Civil Parish: Stapleton; County: Gloucestershire; Enumeration District: 1; Page: 3; Line: 5

Tony Fowler likes this.
  5. Tony Fowler

Tony Fowler New Member

Thankyou to all of you for your interest.
    JAN Have found a Richard buried in Mansell Gamage,Herefords. 1815 050 MAG 051. A possibility.
    Archies Mum Have thought about transportation. I know of Fowlers in OZ but have made no connections. Funny thing my great grandfather Thomas moved to Staffordshire about the middle 1800s!
    Wendy He may well have moved into Gloucestershire. There is a tenuous connection with a Robert Fowler in Stretton on Fosse in the 1600s.
    Your 1st Richard I will look into.
    Your 2nd Richard is my great great grandfather. Father of Thomas above.
    Your 3rd Richard I have come across before but not pursued it but will do now.
    Tony

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.