The Tower of London Remembers

Discussion in 'WWI (1914 - 1918)' started by dizzyme, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I can handle that,-couldn't quite fit in the tree- graceful as is a willow.

Daft Bat and Blackmogs like this.
  2. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

:rolleyes: even she who must be obeyed can have the odd typo :) Not often but now and again is fine :D

AnnB, Daft Bat and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Aha! So you spotted my deliberate mistake! ;)

(Sorry folks - yes, it should be window :oops: )

AnnB, Findem, Blackmogs and 1 other person like this.
  4. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

Thank you Findem and Wendy.

My rather old-fashioned concern, Blackmogs, is about the concept of having photographs taken of yourself, whether by smart phone or by asking others to use your cameras in that particular place. The display of poppies at The Tower is all about the sacrifice of others, so self-obsession should have no place there. I know that I am being a bit pompous and I obviously don't have a problem with photography as such - I also took pictures of the poppies (trying hard not to get in the way for too long).

My main points are firstly the inappropriateness of placing yourself in the memorial rather than simply taking in its symbolism and meaning and our modern obsession with self, which the selfie is simply one expression of.

The best analogy is to imagine going to the Cenotaph in Whitehall and standing in front of the poppy wreaths now placed there to have your picture taken. No doubt there are some who would regard that as acceptable as well!

5. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I'm with you in part Tony, sadness is some people just have to have 'proof' that they were at some special place or event.
    Those groups who band together & block pathways or vision of others seem to train for it in supermarkets & local footpaths. May be a 'gene' thing, sigh, missed that one too.

6. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Could be compared to those who take photos and videos at funerals. Bad taste?
    You betcha!

7. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Just re-opening this thread with the latest video on the packing up and posting of the poppies. http://www.
    bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30272811

Ann

8. Lone Pine

Lone Pine Her Grandad would be so proud of her

I received my Poppy on Christmas Eve from the Tower of London

Chimp likes this.
  9. Nightryder

Nightryder Well-Known Member

Archies mum, as bad as the selfies taken at the recent Sydney seige, I cant imagine why anyone would want to take snaps of themselves out side the cafe.
    As for taking photos at a funeral i must admit i wanted to, my best friend died in 2010 just 4 months after her husband, they lived in Eden on the Sapphire coast, the cemetery was just so beautifully kept with a white picket fence & a stunning view over the ocean,but as it would have been in very poor taste i didnt .

10. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

Why is it in bad taste? It's a memento and we take photos of gravestones for our research!

Yesterday, was my cousin's funeral and his hearse was a motorbike sidecar and his wife (77 years young) rode as pillion passenger. A lot of his biking friends rode their bikes in the cortege and we were bring up the rear in a car and we noticed several people taking video/photos on their phones as we passed by. None of us thought it was bad taste.
    Filming of the 'great and good' funerals aren't seen as bad taste.

Sis, Blackmogs and Old Stoneface like this.
  11. Daft Bat

My great uncle died in a motorbike accident in 1931 at the age of 22. I have two photographs: the first is of all of the floral tributes laid upon his grave and the second is of his gravestone. This latter helped me to identify his grave in the cemetery, by which time his parents' names had also been added.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  12. Old Stoneface

Old Stoneface Well-Known Member

I read, or saw on the box, somewhere, some time ago, about an wedding photographer who also photographs funerals. Their argument was that baptisms (and, more and more, births, but that's a bit too intimate for me) are being photographed or filmed, then growing up, birthday parties, the wedding, and so on to record a person's life, and so it is logical to photograph or film their funeral as well, in order to close the book of their life.

dizzyme, Sis and Blackmogs like this.
  13. Old Stoneface

For some reason, there was a reference to the poppies and the Turner Prize in the paper recently, and it repeated a comment, made in late October, by an ex-Turner Prize judge about the poppies which he considered nationalistic and fake, " a deeply aestheticised, prettified and toothless war memorial. It is all dignity and grace."

He would have preferred " A meaningful mass memorial to this horror (WWI) would not be dignified or pretty. It would be gory, vile and terrible to see. The moat of the Tower should be filled with barbed wire and bones."

Would you have gone to see his version? I wouldn't!

Sis, Ma-dotcom and Philippa like this.
  14. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

Another 'art critic' who's view equates to the Emperor's Suit of Clothes school of thought. I much prefer dignity and grace to anything else. Presumably this would be one of the idiot judges who gave us that wretched shark (Damien Hirst) or unmade bed (Emmin). I know that 'art' is subjective but please.

dizzyme and Sis like this.
  15. Old Stoneface

So true, so true!

He even compared Tracey unmade bed Emin to Michaelangelo :eek: I dream of being able to buy that bed ... and burning it :p :D

Chimp, Lone Pine, Sis and 1 other person like this.
  16. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I wouldn't for one.

I don't have much time for art critics, every time I see one on TV raving about a canvas covered with seemingly random splodges of paint I do wonder about their vision. I accept that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but.......

Chimp, Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  17. Lone Pine

Lone Pine Her Grandad would be so proud of her

What I read about the Poppies was that he wanted them there in the moat on display and then for them to disappear as a memorial to the soldiers that gave their lives so at one point they were there and next they were gone. No explaining this very well too early but I know what I mean lol

I don't like some of the so called "art" around today, some pictures I look at and think umm a 4 year old could do that!

dizzyme and Sis like this.
  18. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Well I got my notification of delivery this morning, when I entered the tracking number it came up as unknown!
    Shortly after a package arrived and when I opened it the poppy was broken:(.

I have now emailed and are waiting to find out how to return it :(:(.

19. Daft Bat

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear that! :(

dizzyme and MollyMay like this.
  20. Old Stoneface

I once visited the Guggenheim in Bilbao with my parents. My Dad was happy as there was an exhibition of motorbikes from the first ever made to the present day, so Mum and I left him to it and wandered around the museum. Some of the "art" had notices explaining the motivation behind it and the why, wherefore and because of making/painting it which surely takes away the whole point? A lot of the paintings, although admittedly bigger, reminded me of the pictures my kids used to bring home from nursery school :D

Then we came across a huge canvas called EspaƱa or Iberia ... painted black :eek: all over except for one small corner which had been left white, but with a dribble of black paint down it. I told Mum the story about the picture which had been hung upside down at MoMA :oops: - I think the white square with the dribble was in a top corner, so it seemed odd that the black paint could have dribbled. We then grew extremely flippant about all the art and enjoyed ourselves much more :D

Ma-dotcom, Philippa and Findem like this.