The Tower of London Remembers

Discussion in 'WWI (1914 - 1918)' started by dizzyme, Aug 4, 2014.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

Thanks, Sandie, I already have the above - that is why I wanted to mention him.

Many folks don't go back as far as I did - he is a 4th cousin 2X removed. Seeing the other postings I wanted one of my own.

Chimp likes this.
  2. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

I thought you might have this but thought he was an interesting person
    there are photos as well if you don't already have them.

3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Beats 'wrongwayWendy' hands down. I think I was looking in the wrong War. Probably Boer War I needed. :(

4. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

Hi Findem,

You can have a look at the archive here http://rollofhonour.tumblr.com/

Also have a look on Youtube to see if anyone has recorded the particular date your ancestors name was read to see if anyone has uploaded it. Unfortunately, the date I'm interested in hasn't as yet but will keep checking... :)

Just checked Youtube and the 7th August is on there!!! So excited for you 8(:-)

Karen

Findem, mugwortismy cat and LianeH like this.
  5. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Karen

Thanks for that, its the first time I've seen the list. My great uncle is on tomorrow's list and is No. 24 to be read out - Boy 1st Class E S York - hubby has camera at the ready:)

Glad you got the info I sent you ok. Woo hoo to your son getting into his first choice uni and what brilliant grades - if you're ever visiting London then definitely make sure a trip to the Archives is included - I can always meet you there:)

dizzyme and Blackmogs like this.
  6. dizzyme

Liane,

Apparently, it's quite emotional (or rather, I would be...) Hope the weather is kind to you :)

Would be lovely to meet up - I have a couple of other ancestors that need searching on at the archives and it would be great to have someone show me 'the ropes' ;)

Just sinking in how well son number two did in his exams :rolleyes: and that all the hard work paid off for him :)

Karen

LianeH likes this.
  7. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Karen

You know how to get hold of me but be prepared the archives are addictive:D

Liane
    x

dizzyme likes this.
  8. looby

looby Well-Known Member

I've just submitted my great uncle, the one sitting on the right on my avatar. Youtube has 6th 7th 9th and 12th Aug from what I can see. I'm sure more will be uploaded.

dizzyme and mugwortismy cat like this.
  9. Findem

Findem The Fearless One. Rest in Peace.

Thanks dizzyme, found him. :cool: :D

dizzyme likes this.
  10. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

have just heard that they are reading out the name of my second nomination on 28th August. Interestingly they also say "We will be filming the ceremony and a link will be forwarded at a later date to provide you with the opportunity to watch the recording online."

I don't know if this is a one-off filming, or if they are now starting to film them all, or if they have decided to film the occasional ceremony ..!?

Blackmogs likes this.
  11. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

I made my nominations over several days and have now received confirmation that mine will be read out on August 28.

Like the above poster I also received an email to the effect of a film being made.

Just wish I could be there - but at the appropriate time - I'll raise a glass to them and all of the others named that day.

As for the others - already read and to be read between now and November 11, I will remember them on that day- with pride!!

12. mugwortismy cat

Colin, you say that as if you don't know me :(
    I hope to be able to go on the 28th and am happy to act as your ears and listen for your names (I assume the three you have mentioned on this thread?). I know it's not the same as being there yourself, and I know that they will be remembered by you anyway, and also by everyone who is able to be there and by everyone who reads the list on tumblr etc. But I think if I hadn't been able to be there for my gg grandfather's name that I would have been comforted by the fact that someone I knew was there paying special attention :)

Ma-dotcom and dizzyme like this.
  13. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

Well said mate.
    ():-)

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  14. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

I am so VERY VERY SORRY, Christel. - I had someone here in my home [that I didn't want] - and when I saw the email from the Tower and then your post - I was just beside myself.

Will you forgive me?

15. mugwortismy cat

Of course you are forgiven {-(^^)-}

(and I trust the unwelcome one is gone now ;))

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  16. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

Yes - along with a couple of cohorts. Mentally - but not physically - bruised.

Thank you.

My nominations are 'distant' - but I feel a kinship - and appreciate your listening for them - they are #25, 28 and 173 on the list.

The reading starts at 8.40pm which is - I think 3.40pm my time. Knowing that the reading is about 20-30 minutes, I will have a lump in my throat visualising what I would feel if I was there - waiting from #28 until #173.

I have a real low tolerance for keeping my emotions in check - I am happy my wife won't be home at that time - and I really appreciate you being my ears.

17. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

I am sitting here, with tears streaming down my face about how fortunate I am in having my nominations accepted - but also very unhappy that because my nominations were so distantly connected, I am probably depriving someone [more deserving than I] of having a 'loved one' nominated.

This is hardly a 'manly attitude' - however it [the nominations] will bring me a certain 'peace' when I attend the service in Oakville on November 11. And then on November 30 [my parents date of marriage], when I spend time with them, I'll have a couple of names for them that I have commemorated.

18. dizzyme

Colin,

You are not depriving anyone and you have every right to nominate and have your ancestors names read out no matter how distant!

I nominated someone who was no relation to me and was actually the 1st husband of my Gt Uncles mother, but felt that he had sacrificed his life for those of us who have come after and deserves to be remembered :)

Raise a glass and be emotional ;)

Karen

Ma-dotcom, Libby, AnnB and 3 others like this.
  19. Libby

Libby Well-Known Member

I have just heard my nomination will be read on 2nd September. My notification also says that they will be filming the ceremony.

An elderly cousin died last year. She was proud of her uncle who died in WWI. I have nominated him on her behalf, although he was not a blood relative of mine. I know she would have nominated him if she was still with us.

20. Findem

Findem The Fearless One. Rest in Peace.

A very nice thing to do Libby.