The Wards of Ireland by Robert G Adams

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by annabel, Aug 16, 2018.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

I'm putting this in America as I think this book probably comes from there. I've seen this referenced a lot in my search for my mysterious Stephen Ward in America I think it could potentially really help me.
    Unfortunately I can't find any reference to a place I could look at it or even buy it. I think it's very old. Has anyone got any ideas where I might find it?

2. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

The Wards of Ireland by Robert G. Adams, Covenant College, Lookout Mountain, Tennessee. That's all I've found so far.

3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

It looks, to me, as if this is a privately published booklet
    Code:
    http://www.worldcat.org/title/wards-of-ireland/oclc/9819577
    I’ll keep looking, but I don’t think you are going to have much luck

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  4. CaroleF

CaroleF Well-Known Member

Is there a US second hand book site? In the UK there is AbeBooks but I've looked without success on there.

Might it be worth contacting Covenant College's librarian or archivist to see if they have a copy?

5. annabel

I've sent an email to Covenant library. I hope they reply

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  6. GrannyBarb

If you look at the listing from the link provided by AnnB, there is a copy at the Nova Southeastern University in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (just north of Miami). They might be willing to do a look-up for you, if the Covenant library query doesn't pan out.

7. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

There is another 'Nancy Ward, beautiful woman of two worlds' by Robert G Adams. Unknown binding 1979. Amazon
    'Beautiful Woman of Two Worlds'. The prophetess and beloved woman of the Cherokee Indians, played a significant role in the history and development of Tennessee. She was a true friend of the pioneer and by her participation and voting on all councils of the Cherokee nation, her power of life and death was responsible for saving the lives of many settlers. Except for Nancy Ward, the process of settling Tennessee country would certainly be delayed by the constant friction between Indians and the Whites'
    Would make wonderful reading but looks to be extremely expensive.
    Publisher, Hampton House Studios. 1979.
    Perhaps contacting Hampton House (are they still around?) might lead you in the right direction.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  8. Archie's Mum

I'm not sure where your Stephen fits or even years to look at but Nancy Ward was born in 1728 Nanye'hi on a Tennessee settlement. She was married for a short time to Bryant Ward born 1730 in Antrim Ireland, son of Benjamin Ward and ? Atkins. Bryant's wife in Ireland had died and his son John Ward followed him out to America. More on Findagrave.
    I think these might be the Wards that Robert G Adams is writing about.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  9. GrannyBarb

One of the descriptions of these Wards also mention South Carolina. I have limited computer access today, so can't follow up.

10. annabel

Thanks, I think that Bryant Ward was probably the son of the uncle of the kind I'm looking at. I have him as the son of someone else, but all these genealogies are so mixed up, largely because people want to be descended from native Americans. I now think my Stephen left Ireland for Bermondsey, and all the others went to America. All this through DNA, but I still haven't found mention of my man and where he fits in!

11. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Bermondsey is a good place to sort out your families. :D

12. annabel

I wish! So far so vague!

13. annabel

Well, a very nice lady in a library somewhere in America scanned it for me and sent it by email. It's actually very short. It is also very vague about the Irish bit :headbang:

I'm not sure how accurate it is, so I thought I would look something that would help me identify the family, if correct

Lucy Ward, born about 1714 somewhere in Ireland, was a lady in waiting to George II. She fell in love with a visiting Cherokee, Oconostota. They married in Westminster Abbey around 1730 before going to America

I thought there might be a record of one of these things, but I can't find any, only here say on family trees. Can anyone find anything to support this and see who her dad was?

Sis, Ma-dotcom, Daft Bat and 2 others like this.
  14. GrannyBarb

Don't know if it's any help, but from an unsourced wiki tree:
    Code:

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Cherokee-61

Later on this page is a mention of Nancy Ward.

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  15. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Why not contact Westminster Abbey, they might be able to help

Daft Bat likes this.
  16. Archie's Mum

There are lots of variations on the history/story on line. Have a google of Lucy Moytoy......:rolleyes:
    One or more trees say she is completely fictional, born the daughter of Sir Edmund Bryan Ward and became lady in waiting to the queen.

17. annabel

Well it does seem there might have been a sister of Francis Ward who was with Oconostota, whether she was Lucy is another thing. I looked at Westminster Abbey and you have to be royal, a member of the order of the bath or their children, or living very close to the Abbey. No Wards have been in the order, buck house is too far.
    It seems that the English bit might be wrong?
    Francis, brother Edmond (father of Bryant) and this sister allegedly came from Ireland. Father possibly either sir Edmond or sir Francis according to what you read. I'm guessing Dublin. Somewhere around this bit of family my Stephen Ward must fit!
    I'm seeing Wards before my eyes!

18. Archie's Mum

Looking at werelate.org Lucy Ward is the wife of Chief Oconostota Moytoy son of White Owl Raven and Nancy Moytoy. Lucy is the daughter of Edmund Bryan Ward and Abigail Ferrell and also the sister of Bryan Ward who married Nancy Ward (Nanye'hi).
    Got me. This is sooo interesting...:D
    Edmund Bryan Ward was born 1675 Dublin and Abigail born 1675 in County Cork. Findagrave, Abigail 155308837 and Edmund 155308632. Not cemetery burials so heaven knows where their graves are or where they died.
    Findagrave also mentions a daughter Francis with a Cherokee? name

19. Archie's Mum

From aaanativearts.com
    3rd WIFE: Lucy Ward, a former lady-in-waiting to the Queen of England whom he had met in 1730. They married about 1737. She was adopted by the Cherokee. She died in 1758, shortly after childbirth.
    CHILDREN WITH WIFE #3:
    • Lucy Ward II
    • Ollie
    • Jennie

20. Archie's Mum

On an old Ancestry message board dated 2002 "Mystery of John Carrolls wife" there is mention of a Stephen Carroll whose wifes name was Nancy Ward but accordingly the Cherokee used either name or mates surnames. so could this Stephen Carroll be your Stephen Ward?