The Wheel, Droxford, Hants

Discussion in 'Hampshire' started by annabel, Sep 21, 2015.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

In 1861 Charles Watson and his family live at The Wheel.
    Class: RG 9; Piece: 698; Folio: 101; Page: 11.

I am not sure if it is a pub, as there are lots of families, or a road. But in 1851 he lives in Droxford Road, next to an uninhabited alehouse.

Can anyone see what The Wheel was.

2. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Hi annabel, I've looked at the 1861 census and a family headed by George Wheeler are living at The Wheel, George is described as a beer retailer.

annabel and Half Hour like this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Looking at the 1861 census, it seems that The Wheel might well have been an alehouse of some description but the only people living there were George Wheeler (Bar Retailer) and his family. Those names listed after the lodger are in separate buildings from what I can make out. This would then be reflected in the 1851 census of the Watsons living next to an uninhabited alehouse.

Idle thought: I wonder if 'The Wheel' was so named as it was run by George Wheeler...

From having a rummage, all I can find in the way of old pubs for Droxford are The Baker's Arms and The White Horse Inn. :( But that does not mean that The Wheel cannot be found... :sceptical:

annabel likes this.
  4. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

From what I can make out, The Wheel was in Firth Road, Droxford.

I think that although you say Charles Watson was at The Wheel, it is just a case of him living in Firth Road. Looks like he was a Hoop Maker.

annabel and Daft Bat like this.
  5. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

Thank you everyone, that makes more sense.

Why I was wondering if The Wheel was a pub, is that I am trying to see if there was a link with Charles' father in law Joseph Lutman who was a grocer, or more particularly Joseph's father James Lutman. He is reputed to be a beer retailer or brewer. (Droxford was a small place, largely inhabited by my ancesters' extended families). I can't find any mention of it though