The workhouse

Discussion in 'Institutions' started by MissEllie, Aug 15, 2013.

1. MissEllie

MissEllie New Member

Hi,
    I'm not sure if this has already been posted,but this is a really interesting website about workhouses :-

http:/www.
    workhouses.org.uk/

(Link removed as sells books. Doug)

TonyV likes this.
  2. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

Hi Mrs Craig

It certainly is and in fact it is about much more than workhouses these days. If you are interested in industrial schools, reformatories etc it is a mine of information.

It is a pretty well known site for seasoned campaigners but a great idea to place it on a new site like Top Dog:)

cheers

3. MissEllie

MissEllie New Member

Hi Tony
    I use a few different sites so sometimes posts and information does get repeated. I like this site as it's an interesting read whether you're starting out or more experienced with geneology.
    I have a few 'brick walls' in my tree, so maybe at some point if anyone feels like a challenge - I'd be pleased with any help! :)

4. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

You didn't enlighten me about your pink avatar...... but you're not required to.....just me being silly really.

This site has lots of people who are just waiting to get their teeth into brickwalls (that particular mixed metaphor sounds painful doesn't it!). Have a look round the forum and post your question in an appropriate section e.g. a county thread.

Tony

5. MissEllie

MissEllie New Member

I did enlighten you actually, you'll find it in my other post :)
    Yes, it does sound painful- it made me wince!
    I may post the details of my elusive ancestor in due course, but I have posted him on other sites, and unfortunately come to a dead end every time... but we will see.