There is not a Humphrey about

Discussion in 'Cambridgeshire' started by ColinA, Oct 22, 2018.

1. ColinA

ColinA Member

I have had no luck finding the death of Humphrey Ashworth born probably in 1763 [+/- 5 years] who was last known to be alive in 1812 when he married Elizabeth Thompson in Whittlesey. (Previous to that he had married Alice Hall who died 1799).

I have tried surname variations such as Ashford, Ashforth and also Humphry, Humfrey. A researcher has visited the Cambridgeshire Archives for me, so we are stumped. I suppose he could have moved out of Cambridgeshire.

Any ideas?

2. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Perhaps he migrated to March, Cambridgeshire? Cambridgeshire FHS Baptismal Index shows baptisms of the following children at March:

1815 Elisabeth daughter of Humphrey & Elisabeth ASHWORTH
    1817 Eliza daughter of Humphrey & Elisabeth ASHWORTH
    1820 Joshua son of Humphrey & Elisabeth ASHWORTH
    1824 James son of Humphrey & Elisabeth ASHWORTH

These baptisms are corroborated by transcriptions, with full dates, on FindmyPast and Ancestry which show Elizabeth's maiden name as THOMPSON on the first 3 baptisms and TOWSON or JEWSON on the baptism of son James, so I would think the latter is probably a mistranscription.

Not having an awful lot of luck finding the family after this, so far though.

Janet

Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Possible burial for son James ASHWORTH - transcribed as ASHFORTH - at March on 11 January 1828, aged 3. Also a burial for son Joshua on 30 December 1827 at March, aged 9. That explains why I could not find James & Joshua in census records but where did Humphrey & Elisabeth go to after 1828.

I don't know if this is relevant to your family of ASHWORTHs, but there is a newspaper article in the Cambridge Chronicle & Journal dated 21 July 1826, wherein Martha JOHNSON & Elizabeth ASHWORTH, both of March, were indicted for stealing 3 lbs of wool of a dead sheep lying dead on the farm of Isaac KIRBY of March. Both found guilty and sentenced to 21 days, the last seven days being in solitary confinement.

Janet

Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  4. ColinA

ColinA Member

Hi Janet
    I have only recently seen the Ashforth issue in the CFHS records. You've gone above and beyond here - I have the details you have kindly found. Humphrey must have kicked the bucket somewhere!

Ma-dotcom likes this.