Thimbleby Moor Tower Allotment

Discussion in 'Lincolnshire' started by Half Hour, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where the Moor Tower or Tower Moor allotment was located near Thinbleby? A member of another forum has said he will take some pictures for me if only we can figure out just where he should go ( He's returning a photo favour for me :) ) i've googled and come up with a bit of information, but can't find an old map to help him on his way.

Thanks.

Sue

2. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

Hello Half Hour

Is it this? I think it's near Woodhall Spa. This web page has a map of the location>

http://www.
    britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-195247-the-tower-on-the-moor-woodhall-spa-linco/map

Half Hour likes this.
  3. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Hello Sue

Here's a rough location, from p.369 of White's 1872 directory of Lincolnshire (on the Historical Directories website):

'THIMBLEBY, is a long scattered village, on a declivity of the Wolds, overlooking the valley of the Bain, 1 mile W. of Horncastle, and has in its parish 454 inhabitants and 1770 acres of land, inlcuding an allotment of Tower Moor, distant 5 miles S. by W., and about 338(?) acres of Wildmore Fen, distant about 12 miles south of the village . . . . The Tower Moor part of the parish is annexed to the church district of Langton St. Andrew, as previously noted.'​

It might be worth you trying to track down a copy of a book called 'Old and new landscapes in the Horncastle area: the enclosures of 23 parishes with maps' by Rex C. Russell (published by Lincolnshire Recreational Services, 1985). I can't see a list of the parishes covered, but it is coming up in the library catalogue on 'Lincs to the Past' when I search for Thimbleby + map.

Half Hour likes this.
  4. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

P.S. The reason I thought that the book with enclosure maps might be useful is that the term 'allotment' is often used in connection with enclosure awards.

Half Hour likes this.
  5. Half Hour

Thank you both...
    Flook... Funny I couldn't get the link to work on my computer at home, but it worked fine once I checked it on Firefox at the office! Thank you.
    Huncamunca... (whew!) Your information I also found on an Amazon Book List for an old Gazetteer of Lincolnshire Thank you for looking. I will forward your information about the library to my photographer.
    My gr.gr. grandparents and gr.gr.gr. grandparents address on the 1841 census was Thimbleby Tower Moor Allotment, Horncastle, hence my curiosity about it.

Sue

6. Flook

Half Hour - could you send a census ref for your folks in the 1841 census (or a later one if relevant)?

7. Half Hour

Thomas Elley, age 46 his wife, Maria age 40
    piece 646
    Book 9
    folio 11
    page 10

Thomas' parents, Thomas and Mary are on the bottom of the same page....

Sue

8. Flook

Thanks Sue. I'll have a scout around and see what I can do (which may not be much, or even anything!).

9. Half Hour

I should mention that by 1851 Thomas and Maria and some of their children were in Canada.... I'm at work and boss( hubby) is here so I can't go playing on my tree to get more information for you. :oops:

Sue

10. Flook

Sue

I've had a look at the original census image and I can see they lived on Thimbleby Moor but I can't see that they lived on Thimbleby Tower Moor Allotment, Horncastle. Is that information from another source or am I missing something?

11. Half Hour

:oops:Good point....I should know better than to take the transcribers word. I always double check names, ages etc on the original, but not the location.
    I think I have a good general location now and if our friend searches a bit I think he will be okay with it.o_O ( I hope!)
    Thank you Malcolm!

12. Flook

I think you might be able to pin it down a bit more closely with a bit of work as on the census there is a miller very close by and at least 3 brickmakers not far away. I'll have a look for the miller.

13. Flook

I think I'm getting very close to finding it (i.e. I think I may have found it). If you can wait a day or so I'll double-check my findings and get back to you.

Half Hour likes this.
  14. Half Hour

Thank you so much! I'm patient and the photographer can only go on a nice day as he is biking....

15. Flook

Sue

I don't know if you've come across this but this is almost certainly a settlement examination for your Thomas Elley> http://www.
    lincstothepast.com/Settlement-Examination/508789.record?pt=T

16. Half Hour

Good afternoon..

No, I have never seen that and I still cannot :( It says it can't find it and I have both copy and pasted and also typed the link in the search box. I know nothing about Settlement Examinations so must do some googling. Any further suggestions as to what I am missing on the url?
    Thank you.

17. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Open a new window. Copy/paste everything from http through to and including pt=T and post it into your browser bar. Click go and it should take you there. It does for me.

18. Half Hour

This is what I get....
    Your search for http://wwwdot lincstothepastdotcom/Settlement-Examination/508789.record?pt=T did not match with any Web results.
    Search Suggestions:
    • Make sure all words are spelled correctly
    • Try different keywords
    • Try more general keywords
    • Try fewer keywords

19. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Conversation started with you. (aka PM sent)

20. Flook

Ha-ha - I've just sent Sue a PM as well ( I wanted to try the system out anyway).