Thomas and Margaret Smith

Discussion in 'Fife' started by Shellymac, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Shellymac

Shellymac Well-Known Member

I am trying to help a friend find her family. So I am looking for info on the above couple, Thomas Smith and his family came to Australia in 1879, on the shipping list it states that Thomas was born Inverness and was 39, Mary was 33 and she and the children were all born Fife. The children were William 9, Margery 7, Margaret 5 and Ann 1.

2. Shellymac

My friend has just told me that Margaret's maiden name was also Smith and that they married 1864 Fife. With a name like Smith she has been unable to find their death dates in Australia. They seemed to have stayed in Sydney.
    Am I right in telling her the only way of finding out their parents names is to get their marriage cert from Scotlands people. Would it only have their fathers names or would they list the mother as well?

3. Doug

Doug Administrator. The Main Man. Staff Member

Hi Shellymac. It should include the maiden name of the mother for both parties. See here.

4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Lovely Doug,
    agree Shellymac, I aquired recent downloads but forget the year, 'twas on another forum. mothers name was included.
    via Scotlands people you can search & then buy enough credits to see the image.

5. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Hi Shellymac

Doug is right , it's the only way. Credits aren't too dear on SP and you can download the certificates right away.

I had a look on freecen - There seems to be only one option for Thomas in 1841/51in Invernessshire - son of John and Euphemia. :) But there are a load of Margarets in Fife :(. So the wedding cert is the way to go!

6. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

I have found what may be the birth for William - 30th June 1868. At Auchterpool. Fife Parents Thomas and Margaret Smith - Scotland Births and Baptisms 1564-1950. Likewise Margery 13th March 1871.
    Margaret 29th June 1873. I cannot find a birth for Ann though this may be there wedding though 9th November 1864 Denfermline, Fife Thomas Smith/Margaret Smith. - Scotlands Marriages 1561-1910

7. Shellymac

Thank you for this advise, I shall get in touch with my friend and tell her that this is the way to go.

8. Shellymac

I now have the marriage cert. and Thomas was 27 bachelor Margaret 20 spinster, Thomas's residence was Crossgates Dunfermline and his parents were William and May McGillimay or something like that both dec, Margaret's residence was Fordel Dalgetty and her parents were Thomas Smith and Mary it looks like Ridd (I am not sure of the first letter) dec. I now need to find them on a census.

9. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Here is another possibility for Thomas in 1851.
    PieceSCT1851/258 Folio 196 p 20 Place Fetteresso Kincardineshire

Mary McGilvary W b Invernesshire
    Thomas Smith son age 15 b Invernesshire

I think Mary may still be in Fetteresso in 1861(from indexes only) but I can't spot Thomas - he could possibly have moved on further south to Fife...

10. Shellymac

Thank you for that info I will take a look at that in the morning.

11. Shellymac

I now know that Margaret Smith's mothers name was Kidd as I found the marriage of Thomas Smith to Mary Kidd she was the daughter of James Kidd they married 3 May 1836. I also found a marriage of William Smith to Mary McGilvary 17 Dec 1848 at Glasgow, not sure if this is them but it was the only one that I could find. I also got a copy of the 1861 census for Mary McGilvary and Thomas Smith so thank you Grizel for that.

12. Shellymac

I can't seem to find anything else on this family. On the marriage cert for Thomas Smith and Margaret Smith it lists the parents of Thomas as William (Dec) and Mary McGillvary also (dec), so as I have found Mary on the 1861 census she has died between 1861 and Nov 1864 but I can't find her death. Another question is why is she listed as Mary McGillvary on the 1851 and 1861 census when she was married to William Smith,(maybe they didn't marry) son Thomas born c1837 in Inveness and I can't find a birth for him either.
    Could somebody with sharper eyes than mind help me.

13. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

There is a possible Smith family in 1841 in Dores, Invernesshire
    William 35, May 40, Ann 12, Elisabth 9, Thomas 6. (SCT1841/96 f3 p9 crown copyright)

A possible marriage in 1828 of a William Smith and a Margaret MccGillivray Daviot and Dunlichty, Inverness

If the Thomas and Mary in Fetteresso in 1851 are yours then it seems likely that William died between 1841 and 1851 as Mary was a widow. Deaths are often unrecorded at that time however.

I can't find Mary Smith/McGillivrays death yet either. In Scotland widows often reverted to their maiden name - and some wives used their maiden name too.
    Did you check the Mary Smith in Fetteresso in 1861 to be sure that she is yours?
    I'll have another look....

14. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

There is a death in Fetteresso in 1864 of a 73 yr old Margaret Smith - age a bit out but may be worth checking.

15. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Now you have parents' names perhaps it will be easier to find death dates on the NSW BDM registry. Do you have any further details of where the family lived?

16. Shellymac

Thank you Grizel for your help. We have sent for a death cert for Thomas Smith in 1908 (it was only ordered last Monday) and last night I found this on Trove. Thomas Smith 10 March 1908 at St Peters (right place) aged 74 (this looks good for the 1841 census) his wife was Margaret (also right) and he was a vetern of Indian Mutiny of the Relief of Lucknow, I just did a search and for that this Siege was in 1857 so before his marriage. But on his marriage cert it lists his profession as Labourer. This looks like our man and I am fairly sure that this will be the right cert so we will have to wait and see, if it is the right one how would I find out more about his time in India?
    Thanks
    Michelle

17. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle

If he was in the army then his records are possibly on FMP. In their British Army Service Records there is a Thomas Smith b 1837 Inverness - might be worth checking that one. You would have to subscribe or buy a few credits to view.

18. Shellymac

Thank you once again, I will buy some credits and take a look. On second thouhgts I will wait until the cert arrives.

19. Shellymac

The death cert has arrive and as I thought the Trove entry was correct, so now I need to get some more credits for Scotlands people and view the 1841 census that Grizel found in post 13 as on the death cert it has his place of birth as Dores, Inverness Sct. Also I need credits to FMP to view the Army records for Thomas. We have also found his wife's death on Trove in 1932 so we will order that cert as well.

20. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle

You can view a transcription of the 1841 census for free on FreeCEN.:)

Daft Bat likes this.