Thomas and Margaret Smith

Discussion in 'Fife' started by Shellymac, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Shellymac

Shellymac Well-Known Member

I have now got Thomas's Army record fro FMP and it appears to be his Discharge Doc in 1855 when he was only 18 so my question is at what age would he have been when he joined, he must have been very young. He was in the 93rd Reg Of Highlanders.

2. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

If he is the same Thomas Smith as the 15 year old one found in the 1851 census in Fetteresso (and he may not be) then he could have been as young as 15. Quite possible - there are mentions of 14 year old drummer boys for example at that time.

He may have joined up to take part in the Crimean war. (The 93rds were there.)

There is a discrepancy about dates however as this Thomas Smith's discharge date of 1855 is a couple years before the relief of Lucknow. Maybe he re-enlisted. (The 93rds were there too.) Or we may have more than one Thomas Smith. Was there anything else mentioned in the discharge papers which confirms him as your Thomas Smith?

3. Shellymac

Thanks Grizel for your help. His place of birth (Dores) and year(1837) are correct for our Thomas, it states, age at Attestation as 18, Attestation Day as 2 and Attestation Month 6 and year of bith 1837, so I take it he was born 2 June 1837 is this correct?
    How would I find when he enlisted?

4. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Mm - without checking this - I thought that date of attestation was date of enlistment rather than discharge.... (Someone will no doubt put me straight)

Will do a bit of googling!

And while I remember - I think I found his baptism on Scotlands People - will check that too.

5. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Date of attestation = date of enlistment.

Grizel likes this.
  6. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

The possible baptism was in Dores 28 July 1834, father William. This is from the free index only, I haven't seen the actual record. If he is yours this would give an earlier date of birth (unless this William died as a baby and was replaced with another William with a later birth date). He was shown as age 6 in 1841(which may or may not be accurate)

He may have been unsure of his birth year when he enlisted.

7. Shellymac

Under Document Type is Discharge Year 1855. I am sure that you meant Thomas in the above post. I have just had another look at his death cert and he is listed as 74 in 1908 which makes his birth 1834. But he has constantly given us a differant year of birth on all Doc from his marriage to the birth of a daughter born out here in 1882, from the last he would have been born in 1842, on his marriage he lowered his age and she raised hers. I am sure the same happen on the shipping list as well but I don't have the shipping info in frount of me.
    I will go and have a look at the baptism.

8. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Yes, sorry I did mean Thomas.
    If the army believed he was born 1837 and age 18 on enlistment then I think that would have him enlisting in 1855. If he was also discharged in 1855 then he didn't stay in the army very long! If he went out to India for Lucknow then I guess he must have joined up again.

9. Shellymac

I have the Bapt now and it has two dates on it so I am thinking that he was born on the 27th of July 1834 and Bapt on the next day the 28th. I noted that on this page there was a Mary Smith born to Fergus Smith and Mary Wilson and both Fergus and William give their residence as Bona, so maybe I have found a brother to our William.
    I just got a Transcript of his Army record, do you think I would be better to get a photo of the original?

10. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't know if the image will give you any further information, though old documents can be very interesting to look at.
    Perhaps someone with more experience of FMP's military records will be able to advise.

Re the baptism - I think Thomas's sisters' baptisms are on SP too.

11. Shellymac

Where would we find Thomas Smith's Army servive records? Other than the one we have.
    My friend has also sent for his wife's death cert.

12. Shellymac

In post 29 I said that I had only got a transcript form FMP, so just now I went back and looked at the photos of the oringinal and there were 7 pages to look at. I now know that he joined 2 June 1855 and was dischared Nov 1861 as Medical unfit. It also list that he has the Indian Mutiny Medal with clasps for Relief of Lucknow and Lucknow, he served Abroad for 3 years and 10 months. So now I have answered my own question.

Daft Bat likes this.