Thomas Parker b 1904

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by MollyMay, Jun 22, 2020.

1. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Who was Thomas's mother.

Albert George Parker married Isabel Townsend March qtr 1911 (I do not have the m/c)
    1911 census - Pages Cottages, Ruislip Common
    Albert George Parker age 29 born Chiswick
    Isabel Parker age 23 born Northwood Middlesex
    Thomas Parker age 7 born Dover - son
    plus his mother Jane Parker b1840
    Sister Louisa Abrahart and children
    Mary Parker age 5 niece

Albert George was born 8/5/1882 in Chiswick
    June qtr Brentford 3a 119 mmn Ashley

1891 census - Bond Terrace, Chiswick RG12/1034/46/9
    Parents Cornelius and Jane (they actually married in 1884)
    siblings Louisa and Thomas
    Curiously Albert is aged 5 (b1886)

1901 census RG13/1198/144/36
    Jane is enumerated as a widow, I cannot find Cornelius but in 1911 she is married and Cornelius is in The Brentford Union Workhouse and dies in 1917.
    Son Thomas age 23 is with her, plus 2 grandsons
    I cannot find Albert George.

There are 2 births for a Thomas Parker in the Dover reg. district 1904 +/- 1 year
    1904 Thomas Arthur mmn Pay
    1903 Thomas Thornus mmn Richards - this one I can eliminate

I cannot find a Parker/Pay marriage.

So can anyone find Albert in 1901, or any marriage to Miss ? Pay?

Thank you

2. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

Two baptisms in Dover for Thomas Parker - the one you can eliminate and one one 17 March 1904 to a Frederick Edward and Elizabeth Ann (in Charlton-near-Dover). Doesn't help much :(

MollyMay likes this.
  3. Jellylegs

Frederick Edward PARKER and Elizabeth Ann PAY married in Dover in 1895 - so they look like the parents of Thomas bap 17 March 1904. Off to look for them in the census now, to see if Thomas is with them.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    MollyMay likes this.
  4. Jellylegs

There are a couple of Albert PARKER's in Barracks in Folkestone in 1901 - not too far from Dover (both aged 19 - one born London, the other born St. Giles, London). Wa your Albert George in the Army that you know of?

Oooh, an Albert George PARKER was with the Royal West Kent Regiment. Born 1882 in Chiswick - off to look at more details.

MollyMay likes this.
  5. Jellylegs

Def your Albert. Joined at Maidstone in 1900. Father Cornelius + his address, some brothers and sister listed - also mother Jane and an address, which is then crossed out and another address for sisters and brothers given.

Married Isabel Townsend (Spinster) at the Uxbridge Register Office on 9 Jan 1911. Witnesses were James and Catherine Parker.

He served in Malta, Ceylon, China, Singapore, then was at home from 30 Jan 1908 to 02 May 1912 (presumably in the Reserves towards the end), so could be the father of Thomas, but what was his birth registered under?

Ma-dotcom and MollyMay like this.
  6. Jellylegs

Oh, no, Thomas was born 1904, so he couldn't be the father - unless he was on leave :(

7. MollyMay

Thank you for your help @Jellylegs.

The military info is great, I did find he enlisted in 1915 and was discharged as unfit in 1916, but never looked for previous service, ooh, just found it on FMP;)

Although the Parkers are not my line (Townsend is). I may have to put a tree together to see if perhaps Thomas was really a nephew, but the Dover p.o.b, now that the 2 registrations can be ruled, out remains a bit of a mystery.

8. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Couple of bits from the papers

Acton Gazette 26th July 1901
    Albert George Parker (19), of 65, Windmill-road, Chiswick, was charged at the West London Police-court on Wednesday with being an absentee from the 1st Royal West Kent Regiment since July 9th. In reply to Mr Plowden, prisoner said he was not an absentee. There had been a mistake. His time was not up till the previous night. The constable added that the prisoner had no pass, and that he said he had lost it. Remanded for inquiries.

Kensington Post 13th September 1941
    The funeral took place on Wednesday in Chiswick Cemetery of Mr Albert George Parker, aged fifty-nine years of 4, Waldeck-road, Strand-on-the-Green. Mr Parker died in the West Middlesex Hospital on the previous Wednesday. F. Sergeant Ltd., were responsible for the funeral arrangements.

I can't find any follow up for the court case :(

9. MollyMay

Thank you Ann, that offence does not show on his army records, so I guess he got away with it. He got 14 days for the same offence in January 1902!

Thanks for the death date, I had him in 1939 and the death reg only.

AnnB likes this.
  10. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Is it positive that Thomas was born in Dover? Other than the 1911 census saying so? If Albert g. was born in M'sex & later married in UXbridge, as a gen. Labourer he may have travelled all over. Trying to find a former wife via deaths in Dover wasn't a success, I wondered if the child was Isabel's?

..edit. once again I didn't hit 'post reply', probably didn't matter as all has been resolving around me.

MollyMay likes this.