Thomas Pellow Brook 1839-1872

Discussion in 'Devonshire' started by Brentor boy, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Brentor boy

Brentor boy Member

TPB was born in Lewtrenchard, Devon, in May 1839.

He died in Plymouth on 10 October, 1872. He was a Metropolitan police officer and almost certainly worked at Devonport dockyard. His place of death was 25 Clarence Street, Plymouth, an address shared with the informant, John Smith. I do not think they were related and suspect the accommodation was some type of lodging house. TPB had been suffering from a heart complaint for at least 12 months.

I would like help to trace him in 1871. In particular I would like to know if he was married.

2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

He is in H M Dockyard (Police Section House) Stoke Damerel, Devonport.

RG10/2134/87/27 - he is age 29 (b1842) and unmarried

Ma-dotcom, Brentor boy and Chimp like this.
  3. Brentor boy

Brentor boy Member

Thanks for that, Molly May. It was the date of birth /age that threw me. Strangely they had the age correct (33), when they registered his death a year later. His family moved from Lewtrenchard to Bridestowe between 1844/7 so that is where he grew up. All the other indicators I have come across point to him being married. I'm going to have to double check.

MollyMay likes this.
  4. MollyMay

If the marriage you are looking at is Sept qtr 1869 Stoke Damerel 5b 575
    Thomas Brook and Susanna Millman

The image is on FMP and this is not Thomas the PC but a farmer age 37 s/o John Brook - also a farmer

Flook and Ma-dotcom like this.
  5. Brentor boy

Brentor boy Member

"Proof" of TPB's marriage or two Thomas Brooks?

TPB born May 1839 Lewtrenchard. Parents Thomas (labourer) and Mary (Pellow).
    Siblings include John, born June quarter, 1844, Tavistock (Lewtrenchard) mmn Sellow, and James, bornMarch quarter 1847, Okehampton (Bridestowe) mmn Pellow.

Thomas Brook married Charlotte Veale 15 Sept 1865 at Tavistock. Groom labourer, Plymouth. Groom's father Thomas, general labourer. Witnesses John Truscott, T H Cranch.

In 1861 Charlotte in household including John Brook, b c 1844, Lewtrenchard, and James Brook, b c 1847, Bridestowe. (TPB's brothers?).

In 1871 Charlotte living as married servant in household of Roger Jackman, Bratton Clovelly. Her daughter, Louisa, living with Charlotte's mother, Rebecca, in Lewdown. (Possible break down of marriage?)

1872 Death of TPB in Plymouth. See original post. In 1864 Metropolitan Police formed marine section to police naval dockyard. TPB recruited locally?

1874 Charlotte (Veal) Brook married John Medland. June quarter, Okehampton.

Is this evidence or coincidence?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  6. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Coming in late to this but it may help.

The only John Brook c.1884 I could find is below, maybe mmn Sellow should be Pellow.

BROOK, JOHN SELLOW
    GRO Reference: 1844 J Quarter in TAVISTOCK UNION Volume 09 Page 481

BROOK,
    JAMES mmn PELLOW
    GRO Reference: 1847 M Quarter in OKEHAMPTON Volume 10 Page 195

Brentor boy likes this.
  7. MollyMay

Perhaps the birth reg of Louisa helps

Louisa Brook 1865 Dec qtr Plymouth 5b 234 mmn Veal:)

8. Brentor boy

Brentor boy Member

Louisa Brook, born 20 October 1865. Parents Thomas (General labourer) and Charlotte (Veal). Living 11 John Street, Plymouth.

I have found record of birth of John Truscott, June quarter, 1839, Tavistock (mmn Powell). Could be witness to parent's marriage.

9. Brentor boy

Brentor boy Member

Correction. John Truscott mmn Pellow

10. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

John MEDLAND married Charlotte BROOK on 9 April 1874 at Bratton Clovelly. She was described as a widow, father George VEAL, and one of the witnesses was a Louisa VEAL.

Baptism of daughter Louisa at Lewtrenchard in 1866 is available to view on FMP so cannot give you full details. The baptisms of the children of Thomas BROOK & Mary PELLOW are also available to view on FMP, the first being that of a daughter Harriet in 1832 followed by Mary Anne in 1835, Fanny in 1836, all at Bridestowe, Thomas Pellow in 1839, William in 1842, both shown as BROOKS at Lewtrenchard, James in 1847 and Elizabeth in 1852, both at Bridestowe. Can't find a baptism for John at the moment though. Ah, this could be why. John BROOK was baptised at Lewtrenchard in 1844 but is not shown as the son of Thomas & Mary. Wonder if they entered the incorrect father's name as I cannot find an appropriate marriage with mother's maiden name of PELLOW as per the birth registration!

Janet

Brentor boy likes this.