Thomas QUIN, born Armagh city, ~1760

Discussion in 'County Armagh' started by Jane Elderfield, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Jane Elderfield

Jane Elderfield Member

Thomas QUIN, aged 18, born Armagh parish, Armagh city, Armagh county, joined the Royal Artillery on 02 August 1778. he was "inlisted" by Corporal Purcell, along with several other young men, into the "Detachment of 5 Company". The record gives a physical description of Thomas, and the fact that he could read and write.

Thomas was posted to Plymouth Dock, Devon, England, where he married Charlotte MASON in 1781. The couple apparently had at least two children, John Thomas QUIN, born Plymouth ~1782, and William QUIN, born Woolwich, Kent (home base for the Royal Artillery) in 1787.

At the age of eleven, John Thomas joined his father's regiment as a drummer and trumpeter, but (presumably because of his youth) was left in England when the regiment was shipped to Nova Scotia. Thomas QUIN died there, in Halifax in 1792.

I do not know what became of his wife Charlotte nor of their son William. Their son John Thomas QUIN is my ancestor and I know the outline of his history, also of some of his descendants (some of whom also joined the Royal Artillery).

The parentage and earlier history of Thomas QUIN of Armagh is so far unknown to me. I notice that in Bradshaw's Directory for 1819, there are some QUINs in English Street, Armagh, including a John and a Thomas, but I have no clue to whether they are related to my Thomas.

Does anyone have a QUIN family in Armagh 1700s with a son Thomas born approximately 1760?

Jane Elderfield

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Was he Catholic or Church of Ireland? It might be worth contacting the relevant Church Office in Armagh Parish. Have a read of this Article for some pointers. :)

she04 likes this.
  3. Jane Elderfield

Jane Elderfield Member

Thanks, Jan DB, for the advice. As Thomas (who was literate) and his descendants spelled their name QUIN with one N, it is more likely that the family was C of I.
    Jane

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. she04

she04 Active Member

A lot of C of I records before 1845 are scarce. They were damaged in fires in Dublin. Very little did survive n what survives before this date is held at GRO Dublin and PRONI.

5. she04

she04 Active Member

1760 no records exist. But have been informed just incase any do, that one has to get in touch with the church itself, incase they kept copies (if the church still exists). I'm sorry I couldn't help you any further. Irish records on a whole are dreadful x x