Thomas Sayell

Discussion in 'Buckinghamshire' started by Archie's Mum, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Thomas Sayell was born around 1803. He was transported on the Adrian in 1830 for a term of life. He was convicted at Buckinghamshire which makes me think that he was born there but maybe not. If anyone can have a look at his convict record to let me know what he was convicted of, if he was married and his parents names I would be ever so appreciative. Also his native place.
    I can only access Tasmania Records as I don’t have a sub.
    It has been a bit confusing tracking him down over here as well. He was known as Seal after his marriage to Sarah Parker. His children, at least those that I can find were known as Seal or Seale and he was married as Seel. He is buried as Seal in Cudal NSW.
    Thanks again

2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

From the papers
    Bucks Gazette 11th July 1829
    THOMAS SAYELL, aged 25, on the 11th of April, by William Selby Lowndes, Esq., was charged on the oath of William Boughton and others, with having feloniously stolen a sheep, at the parish Little Horwood, value two pounds, his property.

London Evening Standard 3rd August 1829
    Buckingham Aug. 1
    Thomas Sayell was indicted for stealing a sheep, value £2, at Little Horwood, the property of William Boughton. Guilty — Judgment of death recorded.

Bucks Gazette 12th September 1829
    Convicted at the Summer Assizes, 1829. To be Transported for Life. —Joseph Free, James Cason, Wm. Kingston, and James Simmons, for housebreaking, James West, for highway robbery; Thos. Griffin, George Harding, Thos. Sayell, and Robert Giles, for sheep-stealing; Thos. Dorrell, for stealing a calf; and Henry Lewis, for stealing in a dwellinghouse.

There is this baptism which may fit the bill on Ancestry's England select births and baptisms -
    Thomas Sayell baptised at Little Horwood, Bucks, 14th March 1804 son of Thomas Sayell
    On FMP (from the Bishop's Transcripts), the parents are named as Thomas Sayell senior and Anne Sargent

Ma-dotcom, Archie's Mum and Chimp like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Thank you so much Ann. This all helps to put some meat between the pages of our local publication. :)
    I may have to call on you again. I’m sure you won’t mind ;)

Ma-dotcom and AnnB like this.
  4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

You are more than welcome Sue - and you know where I am ;)

Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  5. Archie's Mum

OK. His page all ready for the manuscript. Cept our leader is flying out today for Christmas in your neck of the woods.:( Hope she has her Long Johns