Thomas Spunner Short

Discussion in 'British Army' started by Susan McCall, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Susan McCall

Susan McCall New Member

I have been researching my ancestor Thomas Spunner Short from North Tipperary Ireland. He was born about 1788 and died at the Storming of San Sebastian on 31st August, 1813. Just over 200 years ago!! I found a few pieces of information regarding him. From 25th foot to 47th foot in 1808. 1810 promoted to Lieutenant. 1813 – “on the march out of Portugal Lieutenant Thomas Shortt, slightly wounded, 18 more are killed and 89 wounded from the rest”. Killed in the storming of San Sebastian Captain William Hodges, Lieutenants Shortt and George Norris are killed as are Ensign Thomas Bennett and John Campbell whilst the one armed Captain Oglander, Lieutenants Thomas Power, John Nason, William Kendall, Robert Cochrane, Ensigns Edward Agar.
    The question I have is regarding an allowance his father Charles Short received: Allowance for death of son -1818
    Estimates and Accounts P. 66
    Father of the late Lieutenant Thomas Spunner Shortt, of the 47th foot, killed at the storming of San Sebastian, being left with large family in confined circumstances.

I am a bit baffled by the “large family in confined circumstances” as I haven’t been able to find any family of Thomas Spunner Short …….. and other children of Charles Short would have been in their 20s.

Anyone got any other suggestions? I’d love to get to the bottom of this mystery!

arryboy likes this.
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hello Susan,

Although Thomas came from North Tipperary, was that where Charles was living at the time of his son's death? Have you been able to narrow it down further to a townland? Perhaps Thomas married at an early age and subsequently fathered several children.

Just some random thoughts...

arryboy likes this.
  3. Susan McCall

Susan McCall New Member

I haven't been able to ascertain where Charles was at this point in time. In 1777 he was described as Charles Shortt of Birr, and as Charles Short of Shinrone esq in 1841. He was the youngest son so I guess he didn't receive any great inheritance.