Thomas Travers

Discussion in 'Dorset' started by Natasha traverse, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Natasha traverse

Natasha traverse New Member

can anyone find more info on Thomas Travers' parents.. and his grandparents.

Things get wishy washy when it comes to people reading records and throwing them in under names.. ice read some documents and their names have been spelled wrong. Even seen Travers spelled Gravers because of the writing back in the day.. but with reading further more into the records, I figured out the T and G were almost alike.. some records were very difficult to read also, because of the calligraphy.

I attached a record that shows baptism of Richard, son of Thomas and Mary in 1770
    And another Richard of John and Mary.

Attached Files:

GrannyBarb likes this.
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I see that the above baptisms took place in Netherbury. :)

There is a Thomas TRAVERS who married a Mary ELMES on 11th February 1768, which would fit nicely with a son being born/baptised in 1770.

The marriage took place in Bradpole, which is only about 7 miles from Netherbury. The clincher is that the record states that the Groom's parish was Netherbury. ;) (Source: Phillimore Marriage Index)

It was quite usual for the marriage to take place in the Bride's parish and then for her to be whisked off back to the Groom's to live.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

There is a baptism at Netherbury on 25 November 1744 for a Thomas son of Richard & Edith TREVERS, which given that your Thomas named a son Richard could be relevant to you - pr image available to view on Ancestry.

Janet

4. Natasha traverse

I was talking to the lady that did up a booklet for our community, she did alot of research on finding the connecrions to the people there... and to the TRAVERSE'S in my hometown and where they originated.. but she is unknown to who Robert Travers'( 1795-1841) father is.. she couldn't find any records. But they only assumed he came from the netherbury area. And possibly Thomas and Elizabeth crabb are his parents( which is what i found on ancestry site)..I dont trust the site 100%.. and to find records is difficult to where I am.. theres records in st johns, nfld and well in England, but the chances of me getting to the UK won't be any time soon. Lol

It gets confusing also with all the johns
    . James... thomas' handed down the line. They didn't branch out much from their names

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  5. Natasha traverse

I do have a Edith( no last name) in my tree( if she belongs there..lol).. stating shes my 7th great grandmother (1701-1785).spouse Richard Travers. (1702-1780)With 3 sons.. john (1734-1805)richard(1738)and thomas(1773)

6. Andromeda

Andromeda New Member

I'm confused as to who you are trying to confirm. You mention Robert 1795-1841, and refer to the Robert baptised 15 Jan 1795 Netherbury to Thomas & Elizabeth, but I'm not sure where he fits into your tree, or where the 1841 death comes from.

In the 1841 and 1851 census at Allington, Bridport, Dorset there is a Robert Travers/e with wife Sarah & children. The 1851 census shows him born c1796, Netherbury.

Robert Travers m Sarah Phillips 3 Aug 1814 Allington. Witnesses were Thomas & Mary Travers, along with Joseph Powell, who appears to be a church official.

In 1861 they are still in Allington but have been transcribed (on FMP) as Robert & Tamer Francis, with Robert's PoB again confirmed as Netherbury - RG09, Piece 1367, Folio 38, page 13.

He was buried at Allington on 21 Sep 1870, aged 75.

If you have a Robert Travers/e in Newfoundland, then I don't think its the one from Netherbury.

7. Natasha traverse

In my book. She states. Robert settled in nfld. But was from the netherbury area. They weren't 100% sure on who his parents were, but in some records it said it was thomas and Elizabeth ( no name) but when i searched on ancestry, I found a Elizabeth crabb with a thomas travers...

I want to find out the connections with Robert.

I'll post a screen shot of my tree info of them

8. Natasha traverse

So this is Thomas. Wife Elizabeth. Father of Robert( that settled in nfld) if its accurate.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  9. Natasha traverse

Then I found this in my hints. To Thomas's parents. JOHN and MARY HUSSEY

Still not 100% if its accurate because I shared it with the lady who made the book I have, and she said they couldn't find anything farther back from Robert.

Attached Files:

10. Natasha traverse

And this is the last I found. "John's" parents. No maiden name for Edith..

And again, not 100% if these 2 sets of parents are truly connected to Robert.

Because she couldn't find any wills.. or transcripts that connected to Robert.

I'll get my book and take a picture of the information she wrote in the book.. ahe was getting help from a William AKA Bill Travers in America.

Attached Files:

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  11. Natasha traverse

Here's the page in my book

Attached Files:

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  12. Natasha traverse

These are ones that were settled in harbour grace, nfld. Before traveling to my hometown.

Attached Files:

13. Natasha traverse

There were 5 brothers that settled in my hometown and the other community next to mine. Coachmans cove and fleur de lys, nfld

14. Andromeda

Andromeda New Member

As far as I can tell from the book, there is no source for the 'fact' that Robert was from Netherbury - that just seems to be the only baptism anyone could find.

As a Robert Travers/e born c1795 Netherbury is clearly in the UK census for 1841, 1851 & 1861, and died in 1870, then either there were two people with the same name born in the same town at the same time - only one of which was baptised - OR the Robert in Newfoundland was born somewhere else entirely.

So unless there are documents in Newfoundland confirming exactly where he came from, then you have a major problem. Also, unless I've missed something, there's no record of his age at death or marriage either, so not only could his place of birth be wrong, so could his year of birth.

I'm not doubting that the Robert who married Mary King is your ancestor, but I'm not at all convinced that he's the one baptised 1795 at Netherbury - if he is, then how do you account for the man in the UK Census?

Natasha traverse likes this.
  15. Natasha traverse

Ya. See , that too is another reason. They weren't 100% sure on location. But from the traverse's goin down the line from me, it goes to England somewhere.. qhen they were researching, they couldn't get much info on roberts parents. Unless there's a will or death/marriage documents. Ill have to talk to her again. Or have her send me stuff..

I also have another source, that I will find and post. He done up himself from. Research also.

16. Natasha traverse

There's this. Hopefully it uploaded right

Attached Files:

17. Natasha traverse

Also Have this. There's a man from another area, but not far from upper small point, nfld. Where he grew up. The names are very different from John's Thomas's ..Robert's and so on. More religious ones. Mary, Joseph etc.. my mothers cousin is married to him, and when she met him for the first time , she told him that he looked like "our" traverse line.. facial features.. so we started to research. Haven't fully found a solid connection. But he sent me this also.

Attached Files:

18. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

According to Ancestry's Canadian records, Robert TRAVERS married Mary KING at Blackhead on 3 March 1825, both being resident at Small Point and, at first glance, the witnesses do not seem to be related to either of them. I have found two baptisms for children of Robert & Mary TRAVERS at Harbour Grace, William on 23 November 1833 (born 27 July) and Thomas on 26 June 1836 (born 2 November 1835). There may well be others as they married in 1825. So Robert is still alive c1836. There is also a John TRAVERS married to a Hannah having children at Harbour Grace at around the same time, so Robert & John could perhaps be related. It would seem likely that John TRAVERS is the son of John TRAVERS & Mary WILICUM baptised at Harbour Grace on 20 February 1805 given that John & Hannah TRAVERS had a son named Widicum in 1833. Ah, is John perhaps the William John TRAVERS who married Hannah Garland St JOHN at Harbour Grace on 26 March 1830?

However, prior to his marriage in 1825 and after the baptism of son Thomas in 1836, I can find no records relating to Robert, either on Ancestry or FMP, so as Andromeda has said, we have no idea when or where he was born/baptised, or where he died.

Janet

Ma-dotcom and GrannyBarb like this.
  19. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Dorset OPC has a list of marriages in Newfoundland of men who could be identified as being from Dorset. Unfortunately, many records were lost, and often the groom's parish of origin was not recorded, I've checked and your ancestor's marriage is not there.
    A glance through shows that men from all over Dorset went to Newfoundland, but the main port associated with Newfoundland trade was Poole, so there are a lot from that area and the neighbouring Purbeck area. So Poole might be the place to start looking for your ancestor's origins?

You mention 5 brothers, are these siblings or sons of Robert? Names could be useful in establishing links, especially if they are unusual

janetbooth, Ma-dotcom and GrannyBarb like this.
  20. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

TNA's free downloads still worked as of last night. :) The 1854 will of Thomas Travers of Netherbury includes a son Robert along with other children. He is bequeathed the same cash amount as the other sons, and likewise an equal share of his clothing. It's that script which hurts my eyes to read, but I didn't see anything that suggested any of these sons or daughters lived far away. :oops:

Ma-dotcom likes this.