Thornilow/Thorninglow, Burton Upon Trent

Discussion in 'Staffordshire' started by Bonzo Dog, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

The registers for St Modwen record a marriage between Jacob Thornilow and Elizabeth Wood in 1697, plus the baptism of their daughters Elizabeth and Jana (Jane?) in 1698 and 1705 - the later entry is under the name Thorninglow.

My main person of interest is Katherine Thorninglow who married John Hardy at St Modwen in 1743. According to the Marriage Bond she was a 32 years old spinster at the time of her marriage. She subsequently moved to live with a daughter at Draycott In The Clay, where she died in 1798. Where did she come from, and who were her parents?

The St Modwen registers have a few Thorninglow baptisms in the 1740's, but no entries 1710-1720's for any of the named fathers. Jacob also vanishes after 1705.

Edited to add that a search on an Isaac born anywhere in Britain produced zero matches.

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

There is a burial of Jacobus Thorninglow 27 Feb 1733 St Modwen on FS
    Two baptisms father Jacobus/Jacobi mother Elizabetha Thorninglow, Saria 1705 and Maria 1700
    Who is Isaac?

Bonzo Dog likes this.
  3. Bonzo Dog

Sorry AM, Isaac is possibly Katherine's brother. Take your point about Saria (Sarah?). I went directly to the register image and the handwriting is pretty appalling. Have also managed to track down the burial record image, thanks for the info.

When I came across the surname, BTW Katherine is my 6X great grandmother, it looked like an easy name to follow up as it may have been place name derived (Horninglow is nowadays a suburb of Burton), but no such luck. :(

4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Did you notice another marriage licence allegation dated 4 June 1745 for a John THORNINGLOW aged 21 to be married at Burton? Could he and Catharine be related in some way? Not that I can find any trace of baptisms for either of them at the moment. There is a Laurence THORNINGLOW married to an Elizabeth in Burton at least in 1743 as a son is buried there in that year. Ah yes, Laurence looks to have married in 1733.

James also had a daughter Maria baptised in October 1700 according to the parish registers - can't give you full details because it is FMP.

It is interesting looking at the parish baptismal register for Burton in that there only appear to be the 3 baptisms of children to James & Elizabeth between 1698 and 1705, then they seem to disappear, but by 1722 there is a John THORNILOW having a daughter baptised there and in 1724 a Thomas THORNILOW has a son baptised there followed by Laurence marrying in 1733, Catharine marrying in 1743 and a John in 1745. THORNI(NG)LOW isn't a particularly common name, so where were they all baptised. Perhaps the John who married in 1745 is the one who is baptised at Burton in 1725 son of John. In which case we are probably looking for baptisms between 1700 and 1715 for a John, Thomas, Laurence & Catharine. There is a John THORNELOW having children in Lichfield at around the correct time, but I cannot find a Catharine or Laurence although I haven't searched in any great depth.

Janet

Bonzo Dog likes this.
  5. Bonzo Dog

Thank you for taking an interest Janet. I'm currently resting my brain following a lengthy session grubbing through the records that hasn't borne much fruit. One thing I did note is that in the 1720's the appellation "de Horninglow" starts to appear in the baptismal entries, and 2 entries are for the children of a John and Anna Thorninglow, yet another mystery man!!

Rather like the sound of John Thornelow, reckon he's worth harassing. :)

Chimp likes this.
  6. Bonzo Dog

Well, this little project has raised far more questions (dozens) than answers (one) but at least I've learned the reason for the town's reputation for brewing the best beer in the country prior to the Coors takeover of Bass.

The town's first church and one of the first in the newly Christianised kingdom of Mercia, dedicated to St Andrew, was established on a large island in the River Trent by Modwen. The church grounds enclosed a holy well, the water from which was used for . . . . . :D

7. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Yes, brother in law and family lived near Burton many moons ago, and the first thing that always struck me when we visited was the smell of brewing which assaulted my nostrils as we drew near. As you can probably guess, I am not a great beer drinker!

Janet

Bonzo Dog likes this.
  8. Bonzo Dog

Are you sure you don't mean the obscene stench from the Marmite factory? :rolleyes:

My daughter was born in the Andressey (named after Modwen's island) Maternity hospital and needed several years of orthopaedic surgery and physiotherapy. Despite loathing the taste of beer I loved it when an appointment fell on a Tuesday as that was malting day. The air was not just breathed in and out, pieces were bitten off and chewed. :)

janetbooth, Chimp and arthurk like this.