Those Balmforths.

Discussion in 'Fantastic Finds' started by Bay Horse, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

I've been searching for the final resting place of my third great grandparents, John and Martha, for many years. I had cast aside a number of useless death certificates along the way, and had searched the records of every churchyard and municipal cemetery in the area. Every so often, about once every twelve months, I'd take my search off the back burner and get myself into a complete knot again. Ag-lab John was supposedly still around in 1855, when my 2nd g-grandparents married at the big parish church - unless it was a clerical error and he was already deceased, but there was no sign of him around in the census ...unless his recorded age was out by miles. Balmforth is a fairly common surname up in Yorkshire; there were a lot of Johns.

Unless they had left the area after 1841 - which was a possibility, particularly with a JB from the town and of the correct age langishing in York gaol for his part in stealing sacks of grain, there was only one more place they 'could' be hiding - in the graveyard of the local independent chapel. I'd already explored the headstones on foot one Sunday afternoon without any luck. To view the burial registers, I'd have to go back up to the archives on a week-day, and so Martha and John were put back on the back-burner again for over a year. However, MollyMay's forum post alerted me to an FMP email last Friday (I never read these emails in my 'promotions inbox; I wait for someone else to tell me about them) and, good heavens, they'd released the transcriptions of a later batch of chapel burials! My fingers could barely hit the right keys as I accessed the records, thinking, Please be there... And there they were - the burials, more than twenty years apart, but almost definitely my John and Martha. The death certificates were duly applied for.

Yesterday morning I came home, soaked to the skin in the pouring rain, and booted up the laptop while my clothes tumble-dried. I was not in a very good mood. Suddenly - the PDFs I'd applied for at the weekend were showing as available a day early than estimated. And... it was them.

Martha died when she was only forty-two. Her two daughters (she had recently lost two other infants) were living with extended family in the census after that. So where was John until his death in old age, many years later? The ag-lab in my notes, popping up here and there, could now be confirmed as my much older 3rd great grandfather. I expect he'd had to compete with younger men to gain employment and adjusted his age accordingly.

So... a brick wall of some years standing, down in a heap of dust and rubble. :cool:

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Yay! Yippee! Fandabidozi! (+)(^^)(+)

Bay Horse likes this.
  3. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Woo hoo! 8(:-)8(:-)

Bay Horse likes this.
  4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

It just goes to show that 'everything comes to he/she who waits', 'patience is a virtue' and that we family history nuts always (well, nearly always) get our man/woman :rolleyes:

Well done you :D

5. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Thrilled for you 8(:-)

Bay Horse likes this.
  6. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Fantastic (+)(^^)(+)

Bay Horse likes this.
  7. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Brilliant!!

Janet

Bay Horse likes this.
  8. Bay Horse

Still grinning like an idiot. :D

Sis, Chimp, GrannyBarb and 2 others like this.
  9. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Great job Bay Horse.

Bay Horse likes this.
  10. Bay Horse

If only I could spell 'languishing'. :D

Sis likes this.