To anyone using the Essex PR Index on Ancestry

Discussion in 'Essex' started by Findem, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

If you can't find someone try using your imagination to the extreme!

I've given the database a real hammering over the last two weeks and to find ancestors I know of I've really had to stretch my imagination to find them, the latest example follows.

I had the marriage of a Francis Belsham to Sarah Pettet 15 Oct 1692 at Gt Chesterford, Essex, I wanted to recheck the marriage in case I entered it incorrectly, searched the Index on variations of the groom and bride's names absolutely nothing doing. So as a last resort I tried a search on the groom's first name (no surname) and with the date and Great Chesterford and up it came.

Francis Reltham married Sarah Pettel 25 Oct 1692 at Great Chesterford, Essex. I will of course have to check it on the ERO's Essex Ancestors, based on the numerous errors I've encountered on the Index I'm inclined to think it's more likely the 15th is correct rather that the Index's 25th.

I've only found one child for this family, my ancestor Sarah Belcham baptised 9 April 1695 at Saffron Walden, having found a likely burial for Francis at Saffron Walden 28 Nov 1730 and Sarah Belsham nee Pettet at Stebbing 16 Jul 1732, I feel there should be other children somewhere. I'm just about to look for others using Reltham and variants and to see if I can find Sarah Pettet using Pettel. :sceptical: :rolleyes: :D

2. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Just seen Jan's post on naming patterns, a timely reminder for me, could be a clue for the first name of Sarah Pettet's mother, assuming Sarah is the first born daughter if not the only one. :D

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I have a pile of BELSHAMs in my family who come from Castle Camps, just 5 miles from Saffron Walden. Not as far back as yours (earliest is mid 1700s) and just to complicate matters, Castle Camps is in Cambridgeshire, but it might be worth slipping across the county lines to have a peek some time.

Findem and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Thanks for that heads up Jan, it's well worth a try.

I had started to wonder if some of my lot came from other counties, several lines seem to just disappear into thin air, especially up the northern parts of Essex, my thinking is surely they are all not a case of just not picked up by the Index mechanism. I do know there are quite a number of records I got during visits to the ERO that are either so badly interpreted that they are seemingly impossible to bring up, or they have been missed, if that's possible.

Cambridgeshire hear I come , via computer of course. :D

5. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Well I've looked for Francis in Cambridgeshire on the Essex PR Index, Free Reg and Family search, no luck.

In Cambridgeshire on Ancestry I did find a couple of records interesting.

John Belsham baptised 24 Apr 1674 at Shudy Camps, Cambridgeshire, parents John & Susan.
    Francis Belchampe bap 21 Apr 1678 at Saffron Walden, Essex, parents John & Susan.

So it looks as though at least one couple moved across the border from Cambridgeshire into Essex

Strikes me that it might pay to see what the actual Saffron Walden PR entry on Essex Ancestors states about Francis in the perhaps vain hope he was born several years prior to his baptism. If that Francis was born in 1678 that would see him aged only 14ish in 1692 when Francis Belsham married Sarah Pettet.

I have had the Saffron Walden Francis Belchampe baptism for some while now but was hoping to find one with a feasible birth/baptism date.

Just in case anyone else comes along with Belsham line, on the Essex PR Index I found two more children of John and Susan baptised at Saffron Walden,
    Joseph Bellcham 20 Feb 1675 and Mary Belsham 27 Aug 1681.

Also found were two children of a Jonathon and Susan Belsham, one baptised 1687 at Lexden, Essex and the other 1692 at Wakes Colne, both places near Colchester Essex but I would be hesitant at linking those two, without research, to the children of John and Susan at Saffron Walden.

Daft Bat likes this.
  6. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Went on Family search today and found the birth of Sarah Pettet, 15 Dec 1661 in Thaxted Non Conformist records so no doubt another Quaker in my line. The record noted her parent's residence was Saffron Walden, the parents were Michael and Susanna, Sarah Pettet and her husband William Adams named their second daughter Susanna, so now I now who that Susanna Adams was named after.
    Also picked up some people who might be her ancestors etc at Ashdon and Wimbish, they don't appear to be Quakers. I must have neglected to look in Family Search for her, no sign of her husband Francis Belsham though. :(

Sis likes this.