Today's Storm

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by MollyMay, Feb 9, 2020.

1. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Just hope everyone, here in the UK, is warm, safe, dry and out of the dreadful wind and rain that is battering us all at the moment.

wendymac, gillyflower, Sis and 9 others like this.
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

That is blowing a hooley out there but we are getting the odd lull. Took the precaution of packing away any loose items in the garden yesterday afternoon.

Some trees have come down in the roads around us - comes of living in the country - but so far so good..... ;)

wendymac, Sis, Libby and 5 others like this.
  3. Genie1

Genie1 Cornish to the Core

This morning I was told that the street where I live was partially closed because of a trampoline. I didn't know anything about it although I was in at the time. In the same street the fire brigade saw to a petrol station roof that was being wrecked by the wind as well.

wendymac, Sis, Libby and 6 others like this.
  4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I battened down the hatches yesterday - wheelie bins in the garage, cold-frame in the conservatory, as you do - and think we may have not been quite as battered as some, although some of the gusts were pretty scary :nailbiting: Certainly, we haven’t had as much rain as I was expecting, thank goodness. It will be interesting to see what’s happened around and about when I go out tomorrow.

Hope no-one has suffered any damage.

wendymac, Sis, Libby and 5 others like this.
  5. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

We were going away to North Yorks for a couple of nights from this morning. We didn't go. The place we were staying is flooded.

It was hard work on the farm this morning. The wind and rain was wild - the horse was standing soaked inside his stable, poor old thing The sea came over the prom at high tide here, and the brook burst its banks a little further up the road from us... luckily that didn't affect us. We've been lucky, the odd tree down.

My daughter's in-laws are near Whalley and having to pump water out of their house. A friend has been stranded on a train coming from London all day with two small (increasingly fractious) children. The wind is getting up again as I write...

wendymac, Sis, Libby and 6 others like this.
  6. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

been lucky here winds were high and very noisy rain was not as bad as expected so just stayed in and kept warm wrote up some family history,

wendymac, Sis, Libby and 4 others like this.
  7. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

Here, in the sticky out bit, it has been wet and windy but I think the worst of it just blows over the top of us so it can get to the rest of you more quickly!

wendymac, Sandiep, Sis and 6 others like this.
  8. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I hope you all were without damage when daylight arrives again- if it wasn't blown away.

Here we had beaut winds blowing, but in a more refined manner & the towels on the wash line had a lovely time as did other washed items.

wendymac, Sandiep, Sis and 5 others like this.
  9. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

{-(^^)-}
    Hugs to all the storm-ravaged. Please remember that many of the worst injuries come from accidents that happen during clean-up! Also, watch for downed power-lines and washed out roads.

wendymac, Bay Horse, Sandiep and 6 others like this.
  10. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Hope you're all OK and no one was flooded.

11. WelchRegLost

WelchRegLost Well-Known Member

No flooding here but I now have next doors greenhouse in my garden or i should say the remains of the greenhouse. Their kids trampoline is now three houses away leaving 4 very upset kids.

wendymac, Sandiep, Bay Horse and 4 others like this.
  12. Findem

Findem The Fearless One. Rest in Peace.

I've been lucky here, no flooding in all the torrential rain we've had, although there were sheets of water laying in the park behind my back garden, something I haven't seen in a while. I do have a branch from one of my Bottlebrush (Calistemon) trees down in the back garden, still attached to the tree, it appears to have developed a longitudinal split near the main trunk.

13. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Nice and respectable here. Gentle breeze, gentle rain but not today. The sheep look lots cleaner with a wash from the rain.:) And they are at last munching something akin to green.

wendymac, Sandiep, Bay Horse and 3 others like this.
  14. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

All ok here in the Peak District (well the part we are in anyway), winds still reasonably strong and bitterly cold (-4, I know our Canadian friends will laugh but for us softies in the UK thats cold), still made it out for the pub quiz last night:D

wendymac, Sandiep, Bay Horse and 5 others like this.
  15. Archie's Mum

I don’t think you are softies in the UK at least where the cold is but the heat? That’s another matter. Thank goodness our 45c+ days seem to be in the distant past (says she with her fingers crossed) but I am looking forward to a little snow this coming winter. The novelty hasn’t worn off yet. :rolleyes: It has been a horrid summer, Autumn just on the horizon. :)
    Cold or not, we have to get our priorities right when it comes to trivia at the pub.

16. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

We had only 10% of our average January rainfall and so far no rain in February. There seems to be no happy medium for weather here in Australia this Summer. It's so sad.:(

17. Findem

Some years ago whilst out your way for BHP I experienced snow, I was just about to climb into bed, looked out the motel window and it was snowing heavily. I put my clothes on (over my PJs) and went for a walk in the small park? near the motel, it was great, almost deafening silence :D. It was near the main crossroads in Orange, the one with a pub on opposite corners of the cross roads, the two pub's patrons were snow balling each other across the intersection.

18. Archie's Mum

There’s just about a pub on every corner. Most have been beautifully restored. One of the pubs you mentioned has been restored in Art Decor style and has won awards for the work. I think I know the motel. It’s about to be demolished. It’s opposite Robertson Park and Trinity Cathedral is a bit behind it.

Findem, wendymac and Ma-dotcom like this.
  19. Findem

That seems like the motel and park I had in mind, too long ago to remember the names though. :)

wendymac and Archie's Mum like this.
  20. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

The weather is certainly very bizarre. Going to be wet and windy again at the weekend too.:eek:

Ma-dotcom and wendymac like this.