Towersey, Buckinghamshire (Or is is Oxfordshire?)

Discussion in 'Church Records' started by juliespav, Dec 1, 2014.

1. juliespav

juliespav Member

Does anyone know if there is a CD available for Towersey, which might be either Buckinghamshire or Oxfordshire just to help matters!

My Jackman Ancestors are from there, specifically my 3xGG Aron (Aaron) Jackman b 1807.
    A late marriage (1859) shows Aron's fathers name as Francis Jackman. A cousin has traced Francis b 1769 wife Hannah King, Father Moses Jackman b 1732 and wife Mary Ludlow, Father another Moses Jackman b 1697 and wife Margaret Barnard, Father Nicholas Jackman b unknown wife Mary Barnard, but I have nothing to prove this for my own satisfaction.

I have found numerous Jackman's born Towersey who could be siblings to Aron, some even turn up in Haddenham where my 2 x GG Emily and her siblings were born.

To confuse the matter I have Aron and first wife Isabelle (Chapman) in 1841 in Haddenham HO107/41 Folio 6 Page 4, then I have another Aron HO107/42 Folio 7 Page 9 whom I traced whilst following Thomas Jackman to see if he is related to Aron.

They could be the same Aron, or maybe not!

I can't find any records on-line via subscription sites or Family Search, so I'm hoping for a CD transcription of Parish Registers if only one exists!

Your advice would be appreciated!

Julie

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

According to this GENUKI page, the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society (bucksgs.org.uk/index.htm) should be able to help.

Worth whizzing off an email to them?

juliespav likes this.
  3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Well I can give you confirmation of the marriage of Francis JACKMAN & Hannah KING. It took place on 2 May 1805 at Towersey (source Oxfordshire FHS Marriage Index). Other JACKMAN marriages at Towersey - in case they turn out to be useful - are:

17 January 1711 John JACKMAN & Sarah NORTH
    21 December 1762 Moses JACKMAN & Mary LUDLOW
    23 February 1767 Sarah JACKMAN & Robert BROWN of Ilmer, Bucks
    18 October 1775 James JACKMAN & Sarah WEST
    19 January 1780 Thomas JACKMAN & Elizabeth TURNHAM
    30 October 1787 Mary JACKMAN & Henry NORTH
    14 January 1788 Thomas JACKMAN & Mary WEST
    10 November 1791 Hannah JACKMAN & John GOMM
    28 April 1794 John JACKMAN & Mary TIPSON
    13 August 1794 Thomas JACKMAN & Elizabeth BIGG
    21 May 1801 William JACKMAN & Ann COLES
    21 December 1801 William JACKMAN & Elizabeth MONGER
    12 October 1804 Ann JACKMAN & Robert CHENEY of Kingsey
    12 June 1809 Jane JACKMAN & Thomas COOK
    17 December 1812 Joseph JACKMAN & Ann CHAPMAN
    5 September 1816 Enoch JACKMAN of Kingsey, Buckingham & Elizabeth LUDLOW
    11 October 1820 Hannah JACKMAN & George HOOK
    17 October 1827 James JACKMAN & Maria WILLIAMS
    6 April 1835 Ann JACKMAN & Thomas HIGGINS

Oxfordshire FHS website sells a CD of the parish register transcripts of Towersey. It is in Thame district and is classed as OXF-TH03. You can order and pay online. Good luck and I hope the above are of some use.

Janet

juliespav likes this.
  4. juliespav

juliespav Member

Thank you so much Janet, I'll contact Oxfordshire FHS.

There is rather a lot of Jackman's in Towersey, lots of sorting needed into who is my direct line!

Julie

5. juliespav

juliespav Member

Hi everyone,

I have purchased the Towersey CD and I am slowly but surely working through all the Jackmans - there's quite a few!

I'm going through the marriages, and one of the Jackmans - Moses to be precise - seems to be a witness at nearly every wedding from 1757 until 1791. He may be the Moses Jackman who was buried 1802 Feb 7 "poor".

I think he might have been able to write because lots of people are marked "X" but not Moses.

Does anyone know would Moses have had links to the Church to have been a witness so many times? Or why would he always be there, even when there are already 2 other witnesses?

Many thanks for your knowledge!

Julie

6. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

As he could read and write, maybe he was the Parish Clerk. :)

7. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Sometimes the Curate would be used to witness marriages

Ma-dotcom, juliespav and Daft Bat like this.
  8. Philip

Philip New Member

Hi Julie
    When I first noticed this Moses signing everything, about 30 years ago, I remember writing to my parents at that time and pointing out that he seemed to be a "professional witness"!!

My guess is that he may have been a churchwarden or similar, and I suspect that because he was able to write his name, he did it everywhere just to make that point to everyone else in the parish! LOL

Regards
    Philip

Ma-dotcom and juliespav like this.
  9. Flora

Flora Well-Known Member

I have seen this before when researching; you can see 4 entries to each double page, & the same person is a witness at all of them, and it would be odd if he happened to be related to all 4. Perhaps he was there to confirm the signatures or marks of the people really were theirs, much the same as, say, wills.

Ma-dotcom and juliespav like this.
  10. Clive Higgins

Clive Higgins New Member

Hello Julie
    I have a copy of the CD which I have used to track my Ancestors in Towersey, where I was born, I am related to the Jackmans in Towersey.
    One of the old pictures that you will find of Towersey shows the village green and the stocks that used to be there next to the well. Standing next to the stocks is a woman in black. Her name is Mary Geden nee Jackman 1835 - 1912
    If I can help with unravelling the Towersey village structure just let me know

11. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Welcome in Clive, good to see you & already able to assist with answers to queries. :)

12. juliespav

juliespav Member

Thanks Clive, I bought the CD and I'm working my way through it slowly, I've come to a bit of a halt at the moment - overrun by work commitments, it does eat in to research time!

I haven't come across Mary Geden (Jackman) yet, I'm sure I'll find her eventually.

Which Jackman are you from? There's a bit of sorting out to do at my end yet!
    And welcome to Top Dog, everyone here is so helpful, if you're stuck then put up a post, you'll have suggestions in no time!

Julie

13. Clive Higgins

Clive Higgins New Member

My great grand Uncle William Higgins 1872 - 1952 married Fanny Mary Jackman 1869 - 1948. If you look at the village of Towersey historically you will see that the Jackmans & Higgins intermarried back through the years. They also lived next door to each other in Upper Green.
    Mary Geden nee Jackman 1835 - 1912 was the daughter of William Jackman 1790 - 1865 and Jane Hawkins 1794 - 1854. Although born in Towersey Mary does not appear in the St Catherines records, either non church going part of the family or attended one of the 2 Chapels that existed in Towersey at that time. She died in Brentford where she lived in later life with her son Edward Geden in his grocers shop. I have attached a couple of pictures, they are low resolution as the site will not accept large files. Let me have your email address if you need higher res files. You will find the Jackmans in Towersey a bit of a challenge, far too many WIlliams & Henry's but they can be resolved. Let me know if you need any help with either the Jackmans or Towersey

Attached Files:

14. lsrusso

lsrusso New Member

I am also looking for a Henry Jackman of Towersey. I'm particularly interested in Clive's response because the 19 year old Henry listed in the 1841 census residing in Jane (nee Hawkins) Jackman's household is the most likely to be him.

The Henry Jackman I seek:
    • Was publican & shopkeeper of the White Hart in Towersey during the early 1850s
    • Married Maria Goodchild of Longwick, 11 Oct 1841 in Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England
    • Had children Thomas Theophilus (1850) & Tryphena (1852)
    • Maria & Tryphena both died in 1853
    • Married Hannah Fleet of Stoke Mandeville (daughter of Richard Fleet), 5 Sep 1853 in Thame, Oxfordshire, England
    • Had son Charles Shadrach 29 Aug 1854 in Towersey
    • Emigrated circa 1855-1858 to Dekalb county, Illinois, USA
    • 1900 US census indicates he was born Nov 1820
    Henry had 2 more children in the United States. His youngest, Fannie Jane, was my great-great grandmother. He lived until 1903 and is buried in Ottawa county, Kansas, USA. I have notes that he may have been a Methodist minister.

Any help in including or excluding Henry from the other Towersey Jackmans would be greatly appreciated.

Linda

juliespav likes this.