Tracing a marriage in India

Discussion in 'Empire & Commonwealth' started by FreddieRabbit, Mar 9, 2015.

1. FreddieRabbit

FreddieRabbit Active Member

My 4 x Gt Grandfather, Richard Forbes was a Lieutenant Col in the Hon East India Company. He was born and died in Calcutta in 1813.

He married a ‘native woman’ who converted to become a Roman Catholic in order to marry him. She was then given the name Rebecca. They went on to have 11 children, six of which survived. On a monument, erected by their children, her death date is given as 1794.

I'm questioning Rebecca’s date of death as 1794, because five of the children, including my 3 x gt grandfather were born after 1794, and yet there is no mention of another wife, and the memorial refers to Rebecca as their mother! Richard's will made in 1813, which is a fabulous document, refers to her and no other wife. His will also refers to them having been married for 34 years, which if she had died in 1794 would have made him 12 years old when they married!

I was hoping to find some sort of marriage record for them to help with the dates. They were married by a Catholic priest, but I have no idea how and if I can find a record of this, as their marriage was not recognised by the Anglican church. I assume they were married in Calcutta. Might there be any records of this anywhere?

2. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

The will is certainly a great document to have tells you a lot
    have you tried researching the East India Records in the British Library?

Joanne, Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

There is also the Families In British India Society, also known as FIBIS, who may be able to help:
    fibis.org/

Joanne, Ma-dotcom and Sandiep like this.
  4. Sandiep

you beat me this time Jan just about to mention them:p

Daft Bat likes this.
  5. Sandiep

one thing I find difficult to take in is the number of trees online for this man and they all seem to have Rebecca born 1765 and marrying in 1775 at the age of 10!! where have they got this from? I realise a lot will have just copied but someone must have started it

arryboy and Daft Bat like this.
  6. FreddieRabbit

Yes that's right Sandiep, no one seems to have queries that the dates are wrong!

arryboy likes this.
  7. FreddieRabbit

I have joined Fibis, but as yet they haven't been able to tell me about the marriage records if there are any.

The dates are very confusing, I'm wondering if they are wrong on the monument, as even Richards age is not in accordance with the baptism record in India for him, unless he was baptised aged 10. Could that have been possible?

I'll have a look at the British Library records as I would like to know a lot more about this time in India.

8. Daft Bat

I wonder if, being Catholic, it was a confirmation rather than a baptism. That would have taken place later.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  9. Sandiep

I can see a baptism in FMP for 8th June 1750 and the monument inscription on trees says he was 55 in 1813 .......which means he was baptised before he was born!!

10. FreddieRabbit

Yes, you are right Sandie, I'm on my kindle at the moment so I don't have all the dates to hand. Very confusing!

11. Carol Browne

Carol Browne New Member

Lieut Col Richard Forbes is my ancestor too. I am descended from his daughter Sophia Louisa Forbes who married William Browne. They settled in Australia.I, too, have Rebecca as his wife and have her death in 1794. I have other children supposedly born to another wife???

GrannyBarb likes this.
  12. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Edward Blunt- List of Inscriptions on Christian Tombs and tablets of Historical interest in the United Provinces of Agra and Oudh...on line [page 27 of 43]
    Christian Tombs and Monuments. BELOW FORT OLD CEMETERY
    690-1794 Sacred to the memory of Richard Forbes late a Lt Col in the Hon'ble East India Company's service on the Bengal Establishment who departed this life on the 17th February aged 55 years. This monument is erected by his children as the last mark of respect and gratitude they can pay to the ashes of an affectionate and beloved parent and sincere friend.
    In memory of Rebecca Forbes, 'wife of Lt Col R Forbes who died 1794' also Edward Forbes, Henry Forbes, Alice Forbes children of the above and Lt Col Forbes.
    [Forbes joined the service in 1776. He became Lt Col in 1801 and was invalided in 1804]
    Does it say that Rebecca died in 1794 or that she was the husband of Lt Col who died in 1794?
    Well I got that wrong...but here is the memorial for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  13. fenz51

fenz51 New Member

Hi, I am from Australia and I am also tracing this family. Sophia Forbes did come with her husband to Australia after he died she remarried a convict.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  14. Archie's Mum

Hi fenz51, welcome.
    I have just read an interesting 5 pages on the Australian Royalty family tree site about William Browne printed by the Illawarra Family History people and put together with help of Carole Browne post #11.
    Sophia lived to the ripe old age of 99 and died at Wollombi. A good read but still no hint as to the marriage of Rebecca and Richard although William Browne it is said is descended from another East India officer and a Muslim princess, Sudrum Nisa Begum. What a wonderful read.:)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Simone and Sis like this.
  15. Simone

Simone New Member

Do you have a link to the story I’m very interested in reading it .....I’m a descendant of William Browne as well...

Attached Files:

GrannyBarb likes this.
  16. Archie's Mum

Hello Simone, fellow Orange resident :D
    I can only vaguely remember so I will have to go searching for it. When I find it I will let you know. Until later.....

17. Archie's Mum

Code:
    https://australianroyalty.net.au/individual.php?pid=I54562&ged=purnellmccord.ged
    Here it is....

18. Archie's Mum

Code:
    https://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwir-oSymJHkAhWDjeYKHS4oB10QFjAAegQIAxAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fro.uow.edu.au%2Fcgi%2Fviewcontent.cgi%3Farticle%3D1826%26context%3Dihsbulletin&usg=AOvVaw2UBrwjT-mm4dB7bdHqery2&httpsredir=1&article=1826&context=ihsbulletin
    Simone, Try this, the whole story.

19. Victoria Haskins

Victoria Haskins New Member

Freddie Rabbit, if you are still on this forum, I would love to know more about the will you mention. I am doing some research on Sophia Forbes one of the daughters of Richard and Rebecca.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  20. Daft Bat

Hello @Victoria Haskins - welcome to the forum. :)

FreddieRabbit has not been on the forum for a while but hopefully, she will receive an email notification of your post. :)

Ma-dotcom likes this.