Transcription assistance please!

Discussion in 'Church Records' started by MarkJ, May 25, 2015.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

err, um. ..sounds almost right, doesn't it?

Archie's Mum likes this.
  2. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

Ah I forgot Archie's Mum was thinking along those lines as well :).

Archie's Mum likes this.
  3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I don't know how relevant this is but I found a report to St Enoder Parish Council by Cllr. Dick Cole in 2014 in which he says
    Repair of road bridge near Perrose and Retyn
    At the time of writing, the repair work on the road bridge near Perrose and Retyn is nearing completion. It has taken slightly longer than anticipated as the Environment Agency specified that additional works had to be undertaken around the bridge in order to aid the movement of trout and eels. I would like to put on record my thanks to the Cormac team for the relative speed with which this work has been carried out.

I have no idea if this is anywhere near Mark's bridge and I do appreciate that it is far more recent but.......

Ann

4. MarkJ

MarkJ Well-Known Member

Well, my Vestry minutes are from 1847 if that helps!

I know Dick - the councillor mentioned - he has helped me in the past with information on the mining operations in the parish (he was an archaeologist previously)

Still not convinced it is anything to do with fish though.... I will take a trip up to the bridge later and have a closer look - there might be a clue left behind.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    Archie's Mum, Eve and Flook like this.
  5. busyglen

busyglen Well-Known Member

Only just caught up with this thread, and I think it is `swimming sack' not rack. If you look at the `r' further down the page it doesn't look quite the same as the `s'. It seems more like Archie's Mum and Flook have said, and a sack would seem more appropriate. Probably wrong, but I think Mark is getting there. :)

Archie's Mum and Flook like this.
  6. MarkJ

MarkJ Well-Known Member

Just had a look - and no sign of any gate or rack/sack or anything :(

The small slab bridge has another small culvert type thing a little bit further up the road (about 10 feet or so away) which has no water, but looks like it would take excess water away?

A picture of the bridge (the culvert bit can be seen on the far right)
    rosewyn_bridge.jpg

7. Flook

Oh this is fascinating - who'd have thought a sentence in some Vestry minutes would yield up a photo of a stone bridge over a stream. Lovely picture Mark.

I've been putting what I'm pleased to call my grey cells to work but am still stumped!!

Ma-dotcom, busyglen, Eve and 2 others like this.
  8. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

I agree a fascinating item and complemented by a beautiful picture. Thank you Mark.

busyglen and MarkJ like this.
  9. AnnB

Well, I've searched the Cornish papers for any sign of St Enoder's Vestry meetings in 1847, but no luck - so that was a dead end :(

I still think it may be something to do with eels. There was (and still is) such a thing as an eel rack which was used to allow eels to travel up and down streams and rivers. In the 1800's these were made of wood, so it would be very unlikely that there would be any evidence of them now. Eels are quite capable of travelling across short stretches of land, so the fact that there is not much water there wouldn't really matter.

But - and this is where my theory probably crumbles - has there ever been any evidence of eels in you neck of the woods Mark?

Ann

Archie's Mum likes this.
  10. MarkJ

MarkJ Well-Known Member

We certainly get eels in the Newquay area and I know there were some really large ones in a pond on Goss Moor nearby and others in a pool at St Dennis (which are both quite close), so it is possible. but what would they need a rack to pass? I have seen eels happily crossing grassland and roads - and this is marshy grassland so they would be quite delighted with the conditions as they were I think. Haven't seen any here in St Enoder though to be honest - but they would have been here I am sure (they are pretty uncommon everywhere now apparently - when I was a kid, we used to catch them by hand in streams everywhere!)

So, no sign of a gate, the old footbridge still stands (but has been replaced by a more modern (but still old enough!) road bridge....
    I went to look at the Quarry bridge too - but that seems to have vanished under the traffic bridge and there is very little to see apart from a few slate chunks.

The Rev Walker, who wrote these minutes has an "interesting" way of writing which can be rather difficult at times. I may try asking the previous OPC, Sue, what her views are - she has had more experience of him than I have!

AnnB likes this.
  11. Flook

I must say I'm more and more impressed by Ann's 'eels' theory. There would have been, presumably, loads of therm at the time and I've come across some tantalising references to 'sacks' being used to catch them. The Swimming rack or sack could have been shorthand for a frame which would have held a cone to catch the eels.

I've found this>

"When the trap is lifted, the owner holds a sack over the ‘downstream’ end, releases the bung, and pours his catch out - as easy as that. It must be one of the most efficient ways of catching fish ever devised, given that a well-made trap could be expected to last two or three seasons if the owner remembered to dunk it in the water occasionally during the summer to stop it drying and splitting".

Who knows? The quote is from this piece which indicates that virtually all traces of anything to do with eel catching have disappeared>

http://www.fishingmuseum.
    org.uk/eel_bucks.html

12. AnnB

Yes, I should have said that the racks would have been used to catch the slippery creatures, I did find a site where there was a suggestion that the eels would use the racks to make their way back down a stream or river if the water level was high - but, naturally, I can't find it again......

Ann

13. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Well, this is getting fascinating, learning how to catch an eel! I must say though that I am not a fan of them dead or alive! They eat little ducklings :(

14. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

They make good eating if you are so inclined - in its' own Jelly with a pie crust and served with mashed taties.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  15. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Not for this little chick thanks!
    Lets get back on track.........fascinating subject Mark. Just wish the Rev Walker had been a little more descriptive but then we would never have had this thread. Would we?