Treasures of the National Archives

Discussion in 'Handy Web Sites' started by Huncamunca, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Here you can see a virtual exhibition of documents and artefacts from the National Archives, from the Domesday book to the passenger list for the 'Windrush':

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/museum/default.asp

One of the exhibits is a photograph of a child prisoner in Oxford gaol in 1870. Julia Ann Crumpling had been sent to gaol for stealing a pram in Witney.

Auburn, spison, Ma-dotcom and 5 others like this.
  2. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

Thanks for posting Jane - very interesting. :)

3. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Poor little Julia Ann. I wonder what became of her. Tried to find her, but there are very few Crumplings ( close to Crumpling) and I never found hide nor hair.

Huncamunca likes this.
  4. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

She came from New Yatt near Witney. Somewhere I have some notes on her: but can't find them at the moment. I do remember that she was back home in New Yatt in 1871. I think she turns up as a servant in London in 1881 and later as the wife of an Italian. Looking at FamilySearch I think she is the Julia Giacobine on 1891 census and Julia Giacobini in 1901. There is a death registration for a 68 year old Julia A. Giacobini in the Deptford district in 1931.

I will have to dig out my notes so I don't have to guess. It may take some time though: my filing system leaves something to be desired!

Figgs, spison and Half Hour like this.