Troubles with Barretts

Discussion in 'Somerset' started by mugwortismy cat, Aug 8, 2018.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

... and it all starts with Hansfords ...

Emily Priscilla Hansford born 1867 in Alton,Hampshire to William Hansford and Emma Weakley Keates

1871 in Catherington, Hampshire
    1881 in Corscombe, Dorset
    7 Dec 1885 in Whitchurch Canonicorum as plain Emily she married George Barrett, though children's baptisms and marriages have him as William George. (And children's baptisms have her as Emily Jane). I have only a transcript of the marriage so don't know his occupation, children's marriages say gamekeeper

1891 in Axminster, Devon with her widowed father (her pob given as Petworth, Sussex for some reason), with children Mabel (4), Beatrice M (10 months), Albert S (10 months). No sign of William George

1901 in Crewkerne, Somerset head of household, son Sydney (10), daughter Rosie (8), plus her sister and her two children. No husband in sight, maybe Rosie is his, i don't know.

1911 in Crewkerne (pob given as Bridport, Dorset) with 18 yr old Rose, plus Grandson William (1), who i think is Rose's and actually George William.

So question 1: where is husband, Emily still dutifully saying she is married, but no sign. All i know is he was born c1860, his father named John.

Question 2: Mabel born Bridport, Dorset in 1886 ... In 1901 a boarder in the Dorset Home in Poole (what was this?). In 1911 a servant in Yeovil. Thereafter nothing ...

Question 3: Beatrice May born Beaminster, Dorset 1890, baptism 20 Jun. No sign after 1891, until what i believe is her marriage in Cardiff RD in 1913. Where was she in 1901 and 1911?

There are more but that's all i have the patience to type :confused:

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

From what I can gather, it was an Industrial School and is now called Joliffe House.
    upload_2018-8-9_6-15-40.png

There is more information to be found here:
    Code:
    http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/PooleIS/
    :)

3. Daft Bat

For 1911, have you ruled out the Beatrice May BARRETT who is the servant in the home of Reginald ANGELL and his wife at 44 St Michael's Avenue, Yeovil? It does say that she was born in Crewkerne but that is only about 6 miles from Beaminster and, if the family moved there when she was a baby, she might just assume that was where she was born.

RD309 SD4 ED15 SN16

If Mabel was in a children's home in 1901, perhaps Beatrice was as well....

Ma-dotcom and mugwortismy cat like this.
  4. Daft Bat

Just checked and she is in the same home as her sister Mabel. ;)
    Piece 1979, folio 33. page 24

5. mugwortismy cat

How did i miss that? :oops: thank you :)

[Edit] Would help if she wasnt transcribed as Beatree :D

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Ma-dotcom, Chimp and Daft Bat like this.
  6. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

According to the marriage transcript, George's father was John, a Labourer.

If I have the right chap .......

1871 I think George is with mum (Peninah?) and dad and a couple of brothers at Whitchurch Canonicorum (RG10/2030/81/17). Born in Marshwood and listed as George W.

1881 I think he may be the 19 year old Farm Servant (indoor), born Marshwood. Head of house is a Flora Spencer. Notes in the last column says "Deaf" (RG11/2120/101/3). Living in Marshwood.

1891 - haven't spotted him yet.

1901 - as George Barrett, Head, 38 years old, married, born Whit(e)church. A Farm Labourer Ordinary Worker (RG13/2014/62/7) Living at Whitchurch Cnonicorum.

1911 - Possibly the William George Barrett, Boarder. 50 years old, married 24 years. A Mole Catcher (own account), born Marshwood. Notes in last column says "Deaf and Dumb". Living in Bridport (Chideock?) Head of House is Sidney Ernest Walters.

There is a private baptism in Marshwood on 13 May 1861 of a George William Barrett - parents John and Sabina.

A John Barrett (Widower) and Peninnah Miller married on 1 July 1860 at Whitchurch Canonicorum.

Could this be your George maybe?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    mugwortismy cat and Daft Bat like this.
  7. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

Aha, found William George transcribed on "A" as BARROTT in 1891 - (RG12/1673/104/8). Living in Payhembury? Devon.

Lodger with a Samuel Rutter. William George is 29, married, a Mole Catcher, born Whitechurch, Dorset. Notes in last column say "Deaf".

8. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Her father is entered as a Game Keeper
    upload_2018-8-10_5-30-46.png

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  9. mugwortismy cat

Thank you @Jellylegs, i had seen one of the mole catcher censuses and wondered if that was him, but then lost it. I will have a good look at those :)

10. mugwortismy cat

Thanks @Chimp. It seems Beatrice had a child who died aged 1, at some point got divorced. Her husband remarried in 1920. But I can't trace what happened to her.

Chimp likes this.