Trying to find Gt Grandfathers father

Discussion in 'Illegitimacy' started by Sis, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

My Great Grandfather Frederick William Rixson was born in Dartford, Kent workhouse in 1872. I have the workhouse records, his birth certificate, he was christened twice 1872 & 1879, I have copies of these entries, and none of these give his father's name. His mother married in 1876, in Dartford, a man I presume was not William's father otherwise she would have taken William with her, but I found her in the 1881 census with hubby and another son. I found William in the 1881 census living with his maternal grandparents, John and Elizabeth Rixson but was shown as their son, in the 1891 census he was still with them but shown as their grandson. William's marriage entry gives John Rixson as his father. I have tried to look at the Kent Quarter Sessions records at FamilySearch but it just comes up as 'image not available'. Does anyone know where else can I look that may possibly mention his father? I understand that may be I wont be able to find out, but I would like to exhaust all avenues.

Thanks
    Anne

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I have just had a look at this and it says that the image would be viewable at a Family History Centre. Do you have one within striking distance of where you are?

Also, perhaps an email to the Kent Archives would be a way of looking further. :)

3. Sis

Thanks Jan, I didn't notice that. I do have a Family History Centre not too far away, but a lack of spare time keeps me from there. I'll give Kent Archives a go.
    Anne:)

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Also, remember that at the time of marriage, Father's names sometimes were made up :oops: What was his mother's surname on his birth cert. ? Did you find his baptism(s) on CityArk?

Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  5. Sis

Thanks Sue. His father's name at his marriage is that of his maternal grandfather, who he possibly considered his father. I got my copies of the christenings from CityArk and his mother's surname is Rixson on his birth certificate and in the workhouse records.
    Anne:)

Ma-dotcom and Half Hour like this.
  6. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Makes sense...
    My gr.gran used her Uncle's name for a father when she married :oops:
    Doesn't help tracing any, does it?
    Too bad you weren't a lucky one and had extra notations in the margins like some on CityArk.. ( None of mine :( )

7. MargaretMarch

MargaretMarch Member

Might be worth seeing if you can get any information from the workhouse records as there was a system of trying to identify and charge the putative father of illegitimate children for the costs involved - sort of like Bastardy Orders which were done by parishes.

Bay Horse, Daft Bat and Ma-dotcom like this.
  8. Sis

Thanks Margaret, will look in to that. Didn't know they did that. :)