Trying to find Jane Richardson born Leeds, 1820.

Discussion in 'Yorkshire' started by erica, Feb 17, 2014.

1. erica

erica New Member

I am looking for information about Jane Richardson, born about 1820 in Leeds, who married my great x2 grandad, Edwin Crann in 1841 - Woodhouse St Mark. On the marriage registration she names her Father as John Richardson - Innkeeper and the place of residence for both Edwin and Jane was stated as Woodhouse.

I know Edwin lived in Green's Court, Leeds in 1841 with his family before his marriage. His father, James Crann owned a Hairdresser shop on Woodhouse Road in 1839. Edwin was a Hairdresser and Jane was a Straw Bonnet Maker so perhaps they both worked there?
    The only Jane Richardson I can find was the daughter of John Richardson - Shoemaker, who lived in Leeds. On the 1841 census she lived with him on Templar Street. Her brother John Richardson married Edwin's sister Isabella Crann in 1857 - his father's occupation was Shoemaker.

The witnesses at Edwin's marriage were Charles and Ann Arundall who were also shoemakers and lived in Malt Street - just off Templar Street which seems quite a coincidence.
    I hoped these two could be the same Jane Richardson. Is it possible that the wrong occupation was written down at the marriage registration?

I can't find any other birth or death records for a Jane Richardson of that age. There is a John Richardson, Innkeeper at the Rose and Thistle, living with a son but no daughters that I can find.
    Can anyone shed any light on this mystery?

2. mikejee

mikejee Well-Known Member

Pigotts 1834 directory lists a John Richardson at The Thistle, Neville St. thi is nin the centre of Leeds, now running under the station. The pub does not appear in Porters 1872 directory, so must have gone by then.

3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Have you ruled out the Jane Richardson at HO107, piece 1347, folio 2/29, page 20?

Admittedly, this Jane is not living with her family but if she is the daughter of John the Innkeeper, it would explain why she is not on his census return.

Her occupation looks like Dress Mkr

Meanwhile, I shall move this thread over to the Yorkshire forum as 1820 is a little early for BMD certificates. ;)

4. erica

erica New Member

Thanks,
    This is a possibility as she was living in Lees Square in the Quarry Hill area of Leeds where the Crann's originated from.
    However, I can't find any birth records or anything else to link her with the Innkeeper.
    It's very frustrating as this is my gr gr grandmother so I want to be sure of my facts!

5. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Ancestry have a actual Baptismal record for a Jane RICHARDSON baptised 10 July 1820 at St Peter Leeds (born 10 March 1820), parents John & Sarah RICHARDSON - she sounds a likely candidate doesn't she. However her father John is shown as a Shoemaker of Mabgate but she is the only Jane RICHARDSON I can find with a baptism c1820 at Leeds. Her father John is still shown as a Shoemaker in the 1851 census of Leeds living at Hill Street with wife Sarah, sons John & William and granddaughter Agnes. None of which answers your original problem though.

Charles ARUNDEL looks to have married an Ann SHAW on 18 October 1828 at St Peter Leeds so no connection there as far as can see at the moment.

Will keep searching.

Janet

6. erica

erica New Member

Thanks for your help,
    This is the Jane Richardson who's brother John married Edwin's sister Isabella. That is why I thought she must be the person Edwin married as it all ties in apart from the occupation - Innkeeper!
    As the Arundels were shoe makers and lived near the Richardsons as well as being witnesses at Edwin's marriage, I thought that they also fitted in - possibly friends of the Richardson family through their occupation and address?

It is so frustrating as this is the only Jane Richardson I can find that fits the bill - apart from her father's occupation.