UK Electoral Registers 2002-2013

Discussion in 'British Electoral Rolls' started by Flook, May 27, 2013.

1. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

Find My Past now has UK electoral registers 2002-2013. It looks as though they are a fairly recent addition. They are filed under "Census, land & survey records".

2. GJH

GJH Active Member

Without wishing to decry the facility presumably they are the Edited Registers so do not include those who opt out. There is a caveat, therefore, in that not finding someone who you expect to find doesn't mean they are not there, just not on the Edited Register.

3. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

I did do some checking when I came across the database yesterday and it does appear that they are the edited registers. I think I may have even have come across at least one error of omission (I don't seem to appear after 2009 although I ought to be there!) but this is still a most useful database.
    I have come across a couple of addresses where they give previous occupants of a household even though the person searched for was not living there at the time. In one instance this confirmed a marriage break-up and the installation of a new partner which could be useful in future years.

On a quick check it looks as though it has the same information about individuals as does>
    .com

It's certainly worth further investigation and it would be good to see the comments of anyone who looks at it more closely.

4. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Hi Flook..

I decided to so some checking as I often wonder where someone lives and I found a few folks I know where they should be and others weren't there. I found a 2nd cousin in Norfolk where I think she lives, my friend in Yorkshire at their old address in Dorset and another 2nd cousin in Poole. I found if I just used 2010 +/- 2 years I didn't have any luck, but using 2008 +/- 5 years I got who I was looking for. Certainly be great for those searching living relatives or recently living relatives! Thank you.

Ma-dotcom and Bay Horse like this.
  5. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Groan.. almost makes me want to enlist again, but I've just rejoined Ancestry so will not submit.

Wendy

Blackmogs likes this.
  6. Dee Dee

Dee Dee Well-Known Member

Hi Wendy,I am sure members will be happy to do look-ups.
    It is a bit expensive to be on both.
    If anybody has access to a LDS FH Centre,both sites,and others,are free to use.
    Dee Dee

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  7. Ma-dotcom

Thanks Dee Dee, I'm sure you're right, but I don't want any getting fingers rapped on my account. If I really do want to follow up on a particular set of rellies, I shall probably buy credits. Rather busy with other stuff just now so it can wait, but so-oo good to know it's there.
    Wendy

8. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

For those who don't know what the 'edited' electoral register is, this is from the Electoral Commission's website>

"The electoral register is the list of everyone who is registered to vote in a local area. You must be on the electoral register to vote at elections, and not being on the register can also affect your credit rating. You are not automatically registered even if you pay council tax.
    There are two versions of the register - the full version and the edited version. Your details will appear on the full version of the register, but you can choose to have your details excluded from the edited version when registering. The full register is used for elections, preventing and detecting crime, and checking applications for credit. The edited register is available for general sale and can be used for commercial activities such as marketing."

Edited electoral registers first became available in 2002.

Ma-dotcom, Blackmogs and Daft Bat like this.
  9. thalauafu

thalauafu R.I.P.

Don't mention it though as I know that FMP get very narky about people doing look-ups for others, because they feel they are being done out of subscriptions. By the way, do you all know that FMP are now offering a monthly subscription, as Ancestry do, so if you only have need for it for a short time, this is a cheaper way to subscribe.

Ma-dotcom, Doug, Eve and 2 others like this.
  10. Ken_R

Ken_R Well-Known Member

A displaced 'Brummie' now in Worcestershire
    By the way. A belated Welcome from me.

What you mention can be overcome by the phrasing of a question as in, "I am having trouble finding....." or "I am trying to trace....."

Whilst it may amount to the same thing, asking for assistance is preferable to requesting "Look up's".;)

Ma-dotcom and thalauafu like this.
  11. thalauafu

thalauafu R.I.P.

Thank you for your Welcome! I am really enjoying this website as everyone is so friendly, and is free from people who seem to take a delight in 'bagging' people when they have a different opinion! It is all positive! Already, with suggestions from members, I have had a little success in my constant quest for 'digging up old bones', although not actually breaking down any brick walls. However, some steps in the right direction which is very encouraging!:)

Yes, you are so right....the correct wording when requesting help is the way to go! Straight out asking for 'Look up's' is not! And for those that have subscriptions to such sites as Ancestry and Find My Past (as I do).....a very good idea not to offer to do look ups!:eek:

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  12. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

ooop's guilty as charged :oops:

13. Ken_R

Ken_R Well-Known Member

A displaced 'Brummie' now in Worcestershire
    In which case. Terry, GET back into your cage.:)

Your 'Sentence' will be determined at a later date.:(

In the interim, we'll toss you a few 'nuts', There being numerous amongst us to choose from.;)

14. thalauafu

thalauafu R.I.P.

Love it! You have put a huge smile on my face! A great way to start the day! :DDiana

15. Ma-dotcom

Incidentally. I bit the bullet or purse strings & did rejoin FMP. Being a stay at home girl of late i had no other vices to spend up big on. oh oh The other one due again in April/May. oh goodie.

thalauafu likes this.