Uniform Query

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by MollyMay, Apr 30, 2017.

1. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

I thought I had posted this picture before (but cannot find it) and asked for help in identifying the uniform but nothing definite was established.
    Now this morning looking for info on the Bedford Regiment for @Sis I found a picture on the regiment site and I immmediately recognised the jacket as the same as on my unnamed photo. Even the hair style is similar
    Do you think I am correct?
    upload_2017-4-30_14-49-27.png

img005.jpg

Eve, Bay Horse, Shellymac and 4 others like this.
  2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Undoubtedly MollyMay, it could almost be the same man!

Eve, Half Hour, Archie's Mum and 4 others like this.
  3. MollyMay

Thanks Ann, when it was discussed previously there was some debate as to whether my man was in military uniform, even though it was noticed he is wearing spurs.
    Why does it have to be a BH tomorrow:mad:, so I will have to hang fire on emailing the National Army Museum (it is a photo on their website) to see if they can give me an approximate date for the uniform.
    I might be on track to solve a mystery:)

4. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Absolutely MollyMay! Fingers crossed that your mystery will be solved.
    1235321_536564846415137_1109015511_n_zps62ad887d.jpg

5. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Are you certain it isn't the same man?:nailbiting: Or is it just the 'do'?

MollyMay likes this.
  6. MollyMay

That would be too good to be true - but I think my man has my paternal family's ears:D and to be honest that hair looks like a toupee, it certainly is a distinctive hair do:p

Sis, AnnB and Archie's Mum like this.
  7. Archie's Mum

With a nice coat of axle grease.

Half Hour, Sis and MollyMay like this.
  8. MollyMay

An update:- I did mail the National Army Museum back in May and got a reply early in June asking for more info - then nothing.
    Today my OH and I took a ride up to Chelsea and to the museum.
    Their archive people were just so helpful, and in minutes were able to give me a date of between 1886 and 1894 for their photo. Not only that but got out the photo album where the picture came from, and I was able to look through just in case there was any further info in it (sadly not - but it was wonderful to see).
    The archive is wholy dependant on 'gifts', so if anyone has army records from their family and have nowhere, or no-one, to pass them onto, remember the NAM.
    They tell me they are delighted when someone turns up with a box or carrier bag, od donated items. The album I looked at was one such donation:)
    As for the, how shall I put it? distinctive hairstyle, there were plenty of others in this album sporting the same style, so it must have been the height of fashion then.

I have always assumed this is a picture from my paternal granddad's family, but my husband came up with the suggestion that perhaps it is my nemises John West, my nan's father. He who only appears on 2 census and on his m/c and his children's b/c. Food for thought, and some serious rootling around to be done:)

Jellylegs, Sis, GrannyBarb and 9 others like this.
  9. MollyMay

Some help please.

Can you give me some thoughts on the age of the chap in my photo? I know what I would like it to be, but need some independent ideas.

10. Archie's Mum

18-24ish ?

Shellymac and MollyMay like this.
  11. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

I'd say older, thirty-ish... maybe older than that.

MollyMay likes this.
  12. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I think older too, the face has that 'grown into' look. Same chin & eyebrows tho'. Top shot a little older.

MollyMay likes this.
  13. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I'd say 30 - 40, but people always seem to look older than they really were in some of those old photos.

Bay Horse, MollyMay and Ma-dotcom like this.
  14. Archie's Mum

It isn't the same chap is it?

MollyMay likes this.
  15. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Surely these are the same man? About 18-21 in your photo, mid-20's in the other (with a corporal's stripe & medals)?

Jane

MollyMay likes this.
  16. Archie's Mum

I think the chappie in the top photo has thicker thighs :rolleyes: :oops:

MollyMay likes this.
  17. MollyMay

Thank you all for your thoughts, it is just so difficult to try and put an age to a face. Like Ann I thought 30-40 (which fits with whom I think it could be), but young men back then did looker older in photographs (and life I guess).
    As for it being the same man - I have no idea. Those in the NAM picture are all corporals (from writing under the original photograph) meaning they had been in the service for some while perhaps?
    I really am no further forward in putting a name to my man and he had to be someone close to my nan/grandad for them to have had a photo - which was once in frame (you can see where the card has been cut to fit), so he was important to one or both of them and no left to ask:(

18. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Can you find anyone in delvings who may have been 'close' to your Grandies who may fit that photo? with the years suggested?
    Hard isn't it when you think how many g'persons your Grandies would have had.

MollyMay likes this.
  19. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

Browsing through Bridgeford's Barber Instructor & Toilet Manual (as you do!) I came across an image which appears to show exactly the same hair style as your man in the photo. This book is American and was published in 1904 (not 1900 as it says on the web page). The hairstyle is so distinctive that I suspect it was only in fashion for a relatively short time and so this may help in dating your photo. I've found a clearer version of the original image on this site (see the image called 'front of No.14').

http://www.
    kristinholt.com/archives/7498

For what it's worth I think your man is relatively young but it is difficult to say. It's worth noting that he hasn't got a stripe and though they weren't handed out willy-nilly, it slightly militates against him being older. I note that his trousers have 2 heavy stripes whereas the lads in the corporals' photograph are quite different.

Having said all that, you could be looking for a 20-24 year old born around 1880.

Eve, Ma-dotcom, GrannyBarb and 3 others like this.
  20. MollyMay

Wendy, Grandad was born in 1871 and Nan in 1886, grandad died 11 years before I was born and nan when I was just 10. I know so little about them.
    After nan died there was a family rift, so I am not even in contact with the cousins of my generation (most were much older, and I only have contact with 3 of them). Dad did not speak much of his family, he was not a fan of his father, who was a tunneller on the underground railways and drank heavily. Nan had 12 live births and many other pregnancies which ended early, so his home life was not brilliant but he loved his mum deeply. Both were one of 12 children, so that is why the age of the man in my picture is critical to the search.

Bay Horse and Ma-dotcom like this.