Upper Tyrone Street, North Dock, Dublin

Discussion in 'Dublin' started by Daft Bat, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Glyn Scally

Glyn Scally Active Member

That is true, my husband's family have a few birth certificates with only one name, say Eliza, but the person was known always as Eliza Ann.

Findem and Daft Bat like this.
  2. Martin Coffey

Martin Coffey New Member

Most Catholic children took on a second name when they were Confirmed at around 12 years of age.

3. Lydia

Lydia New Member

Just came across this thread from trying to find information on my great grandad James Hart. My Mam got a copy of his birth certificate, born 1st May 1894 to James Hart and Mary Ann Hart 28 Cole's lane!!

Daft Bat, GrannyBarb and Sis like this.
  4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hello Lydia - welcome! :)

Such a pity that it is not the same James HART as mine! Mind you, if it had been, he would have had a secret life that we knew nothing about! :D:eek:

Lydia likes this.
  5. Lydia

Lydia New Member

Thank you
    I only Joined to speak to you! Got so excited when I seen this thread after a Google search!
    I'm wondering on your search for your grandad James Hart, if you came across any records that would be relevant to me?!
    My Great Grandad also joined the army and it's looking like it's the exact same time as yours too! I tried to have a look for the baptism cert but couldn't find anything. I did however find his medal cards from the British army.
    My auntie found some of his medals that he was awarded and presented them to my Grandad during the week. He was absolutely thrilled, he never really had much information about his parents growing up. His mother died when he was approx 10/11. There is something very special about seeing the name James Hart, my great great grandfather, my great grandfather and my grandad now all have the same name. The way it's been passed down is amazing. I'm a complete newbie on the whole research thing so it would be really great if you could give me some tips or pointers and also let me know if you have found any information on my JH while looking for yours!
    My grandad is still alive, he is coming on 90 now so I'd really love to find some more information for him.
    Any help at all is greatly appreciated
    Thanks for the warm welcome too!

Daft Bat, AnnB and Chimp like this.
  6. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hi Lydia,

My Grandad was somewhat of a mystery man. He married my Gran in 1929 and my Mum was born the following year. This happened in St Albans, Hertfordshire.

He was a skilled carpenter and on his marriage certificate it states that his father was Patrick, a Master Builder. He always said that he was from Rathmines, but I have found no trace. :( His birthday was 6th February but the year could have been anything from 1892 to 1895, depending upon which record you are looking at! :headbang:

I have a record of his service in the Home Guard in WW2 and it says that he was in the Connaught Rangers in WW1, but again I have found no trace.

He died in December 1945.

Meanwhile, have a read of the 'stickies' here. Loads of hints and tips about researching your family's history and, if you get stuck, don't be afraid to ask. :)

Good luck!

Lydia likes this.
  7. Lydia

Lydia New Member

Thank you so so much!! Really appreciate it. So excited now to do some research and give it to my grandad. Hopefully I find out some interesting things I guess I got lucky with the army medal records, I had his army number that imprinted on the back of the medals. It says DVR so he was a driver in the Army. His father was a coach Smith, that's what's on the birth certificate for James 1894. I'd really love to find as much information as I can so please wish me luck!!
    Thanks again

Chimp and Daft Bat like this.