Ursula Hallums 1814

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by BLH, Sep 13, 2019 at 12:36 PM.

1. BLH

BLH Member

I am trying to establish whether I am dealing with on or two different people

Ursula Hallums B: 8-4-1814 parish of Frindsbury Kent, Parents Richard and Mary (confirmed)

1823 Ursual is placed in the care of the poor house Frindsbury with mother and siblings after father's bankruptcy and death C1823

First trace 1841 census as inmate of Pentonville prison, age 27

1851 census Bethnal Green there is an Ursula Hallums born in Frindsbury of the same age but listed as wife, age 36 only other person of same address a servant Louise Fry.

1851 P.O directory list Ursula Hallums under confectioner

1855 Death Usual Hallums age 44, single women of no Occupation Mile End ~(confirmed) buried in a common grave in borough Tower Hamlets which covers Bethnal Green Mile-End,

Could this be the same person

Bethnal Green and Mile End are within spitting distance, I can find no trace of another Ursula born in Frindsbury, the age range match allowing for discrepancy of registers No trace of a husband Hallums, married to an Ursula that fits the time scale

Did Ursula marry and convert back to her maiden name ? or used the term wife to cover her past in Pentonville, is this one person rather than two individuals.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

From having a look at the records, I would think that this is the same person. It may well be that she was using the term "Mrs", especially if she was running a shop of some description, as it seemed more "respectable" (!) than "Miss" back in the day.

I wonder what she was in Pentonville for....

Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I’ve tried everything I can think of to find some sort of newspaper article, but with no luck :(

Bay Horse, Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  4. BLH

BLH Member

Thank you both, I think Ursula must have lied about her age in Pentonville having another look would make her birth 1816 rather than 1814. She may have ended up in Pentonville as a debtor, coming from the poor house didn't have a good start in life, unlike her siblings that went into the Navy and Army in India. I will enquire if the National Archives holds records for Pentonville, I to would like to know why she ended up there.

Ma-dotcom, Daft Bat and Bay Horse like this.
  5. Daft Bat

Not necessarily as ages of those who were 15 and over were rounded down to the nearest 5 years. Therefore, anyone aged between 25 and 29 when the census was taken would show as being 25. ;)

6. BLH

BLH Member

You learn something new every day, I was not aware of the rounding down, which now makes sense.

Daft Bat likes this.
  7. Daft Bat

This was just the 1841 census. ;)