US Federal Census 2020

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by GrannyBarb, Mar 22, 2020.

1. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

I scanned the blank multi-page questionnaire, and will attempt to paste images here:

Front cover: above the fold is official language, return address and my address, so I only scanned the part below the fold -

upload_2020-3-22_14-11-54.png
    Note the form wants data as of the 1st of April, 2020, but it is due that same date. Actually, like our taxes, we're okay as long as the return envelope is post-marked by the correct date. Also, they really want folks to do this online, which I do not care to do. So this doesn't get too long, I'll post the next page on a new post in this thread.

2. GrannyBarb

Page 2 - Person 1

upload_2020-3-22_14-18-19.png

Notice the only thing asked are Name, binary gender, age, DOB, and ethnicity. Nothing about occupation, education, military status, etc. The proposed citizenship status questions were blocked by the courts.

3. GrannyBarb

Page 3 - Person 2

upload_2020-3-22_14-28-56.png

Persons 2 through 6 are the same, with two extra questions. One is whether this is their usual residence, or do they normally live elsewhere and just happen to be in this household on Census day. The other extra question is to describe their relationship to person 1.

4. GrannyBarb

Page 8 - Persons 7 through 10

Scaled back set of questions, but they can check back for more information, if they want.

I can't tell if the image stuck. Basically only asking Name, gender, age, DOB, and a yes/no if related to person 1. Plus closing comments about legal stuff and a toll free number to call with questions.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  5. GrannyBarb

I have a problem with the focus on ethnicity and country of origin. If my family has been here for over three hundred years, do I really have to name a country of origin? (self-edit political rant)

Ma-dotcom, Sis and MollyMay like this.
  6. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

This is what the united Kingdom may have in 2021.
    The link is Lost Cousins
    Code:
    https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/oct19news.htm#Census2021
    Scroll down and there is a link to what the 2021 census looks like ,all 32 pages of it.
    This is another link.
    http://2021census.com/index.htm

Ma-dotcom and GrannyBarb like this.
  7. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

I can't help wondering what the rationale is for such questions, but in your case, Barb, can you just put American? Either that or list every country that each of your ancestors came from over the past 300 years.

And how do they expect you to fit it all in 16 letters? One of the examples they give in the Native American section has over 50, including spaces. o_O

Is there some government office that you can bombard with intelligent questions relating to an apparently stupid form? Or would that be asking for trouble?

Ma-dotcom, GrannyBarb and Daft Bat like this.
  8. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Oh the power of the genealogist.... :reading:

Ma-dotcom and GrannyBarb like this.
  9. GrannyBarb

The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to do just that. In Hubby's case, we don't know for sure. It's all post-colonial southeastern U.S.

My oldest brother likes to go on and on that he's Irish - based on Dad's Connally bunch that was here before the Revolution. My research says we're more Scots and English. One of those lines reportedly came from Normandy with William the Conqueror. Somehow I don't think they want us to go back that far. I haven't done the DNA thing yet. Mom's mother's mother's mother was said to be part Narragansett. So there ya go. I'm a proud American mutt. :cool: :D

There was a public comment period, which is why the citizenship questions were thrown out, but the ethnicity drill-down seems intrusive. Some of the buckets don't match reality, but it has to do with public funding and election districts - SUPPOSEDLY to prevent discrimination, but I'm not so sure. :sceptical:

On a brighter note, we're getting closer to the release of the 1950 Census, unless "they" decide against it for some reason or other.

Ma-dotcom, MollyMay and arthurk like this.
  10. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

All of which found me looking at a wife of 4th cousin -school years- along with a horrid blanked out entry, later to marry 'Brand' which I now think was chucked in to mess with my mind. I'll toy with it later & the persons at no. 1 +2 on hte previous page.
    All because of an interview with Mr ' ' on WDYTYA .o_O The one same name I have in my file is now gonna haunt me. :ghost: