Walter Brand Stallan

Discussion in 'Cambridgeshire' started by Figgs, Sep 6, 2013.

1. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

There is also an entry for Wesley R. Stallan (dob 6.8.1898) son of Sarah Mary Stallan http://www.
    collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?id_nbr=247193

Ann

Figgs likes this.
  2. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

From the Ontario marriages collection on Ancestry:

Walter Brand Stallan, mechanic, bachelor, 25, Presbyterian, of Toronto (born Toronto) and
    Minnie Jean Sandy, lady, spinster, 26, Presbyterian, of Toronto (born Lucknow)
    were married at Toronto on 27 December 1920 [doesn't say exactly where, as far as I can make out; the minister was Presbyterian]
    Witnesses: Wesley Stallan and Kate Mackay (both of Toronto)

Bridegroom's parents: Walter B. Stallan and Sarah Richardson
    Bride's parents: George Sandy and Jean Dickson

AnnB and Figgs like this.
  3. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

From automated genealogy - 1911 census canada, Montreal St Laurent ward
    Walter Stallan 45, Sarah Stallan 41, plus Ernest 21, Dorothy 19, Walter 15, Neuviel 14, Wesley 9, Kitchener 7, Harry 5 and Florence 2.

How do these names compare with the family you already know?

Figgs likes this.
  4. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Yes, that is one of the 5 brothers and I will have a look at the collection. Thank you so much, Ann. It so happens that I only ever met 3 of these siblings but one is still alive.

The reason for Ron's lack of knowledge on the Stallans is simple. After he was born (last Stallan child is his mother Lillian, not Florence)....she, husband Austin and Ron moved to Jamaica in the West Indies. His father, Austin, is of Spanish and English ancestry from roughly 1800. So Ron never really knew his Canadian side all that well. He of course, knows those that he grew up with in the West Indies much better. One aunt used to visit and she is the one he lived with for a short time in Toronto.

He came back to Toronto at age 20 and we married 7 yrs later. We visited with a couple of them a few times, but I never knew who belonged to who.

AnnB likes this.
  5. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

You are even more amazing!! Yes, this is the right one. Ron never knew his middle name was Brand. He was child #3. He never knew the wife either and I was trying to get him to remember her just this afternoon. He says he never met her. Now I have HER information and her parents as well. A HUGE THANK YOU!!.

As I explained to AnnB, Ron never really knew this side of his family. The 9 kids (one died at 3 mos) were born over a 20 yr span in Montreal and his mother was the youngest and they went to Jamaica when he was a year old. It doesn't help that 2 of these Stallans were rather "estranged". But I am in touch with the son of the oldest one. The other disappeared into thin air.

Thank you so much, my dear......you have filled in a lot of holes in my tree. It doesn't help that I am using the 2012 FTM version and I detest it, compared to the older ones!!!

Have a good weekend......

AnnB likes this.
  6. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

This IS the family, but with some hilarious name errors. 1st child is Ernest Downes btw....Walter is "Walter Brand"....Ron didn't know that. "Neuviel" is Ron's Aunt Muriel and he lived with her when he came up here in the 50's. And lastly, "Florence"?? is really Lillian May, Ron's mother.

What I always found interesting is that the oldest, the middle and the last child were all born on August 6th, 10 years apart for each. 1889, 1899 and 1909. My sister was also born on that day. Weird, eh?

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  7. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

WOW!! Just heard from Wilf Stallan, (the son of Ernest Downes Stallan, oldest child of Walter Brand Stallan) and he is amazing!! He verified all that you guys told me and more. Not bad for someone turning 82!! He has a tree that he will print out and mail to me because he lives in the US. He is the one who did the Stallan tree with the help of family in the UK.

It was up on a webpage but I think he got a bit ticked cuz no one paid much attention to it after all of the research that was done. Wilf was over in England at times, working on it.

Here is what he wrote...which of course means I will be hitting the parish records over at the LDS again, wry grin........but I am sure he quotes his sources.

See what an innocent "where is Walter Brand Stallan from" brought forth??

quote.........
    I have traced us back to Edward Stallin, c 1540, Suffolk. We have Stallin, Stallen, Stallon and Stallan, depending on how the parish clerk thought it should be spelled. I also have "The Staller", Raouel de Gael who was Wm. the Conq.'s right hand man and was given Stalham Manor. I have connected my wife to him but damned if I can connect me.

Does your Forum have anything of the Catholic church records, say for Suffolk and Norfolk? That could really help sort things out.

Do you want Ancestors or Descendants? Let me know and I'll mail it to you, Ancestors was 247 pgs. last time I printed it....
    unquote......

8. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

(+)(^^)(+) Are you dancing? At least you are close to the LDS...big fancy place that it is :)

9. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Country bumpkin!! (lol) The big one is one of two "temples" in Canada. The other is in Alberta I think. We refer to ours as the "wedding cake".

Just to the north of the wedding cake is a small, beige, one storey bldg which is their regular church, FHS and admin. offices. I can go all thru there, but can't put one toe in the temple. Apparently it is totally white.....rugs, walls, etc. Would love to see it but the only time we pagans can is when they redo the rugs. :p

Half Hour and Ma-dotcom like this.
  10. Half Hour

I have never noticed the small, beige building. I just see all the $ signs in the wedding cake when I drive past :) Here I thought they had half of Salt Lake City in that big building:)

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  11. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

familysearch

Groom: Wesley Robert Stallan, Age 24
    Bride: Marjory Isobel Fordyce, Age 19
    Marriage Date 30 Jun 1924, Toronto, York, Ontario, Canada
    G/Father Walter Brand Stallan
    G/Mother Sarah Matilda Richardson
    B/Father George Fordyce
    B/Mother Helen Morrison
    Registration Number 002771
    GS Film number1838046, Digital Folder Number004529081

Figgs and Ma-dotcom like this.
  12. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Many thanks, Chimp.......yes, that is Ron's uncle and I will add that data to my tree. You guys are super!!! :D

13. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

WOW!! You folks have no idea what my simple query on the Stallans produced!!! :eek:

Ron's 82 yr old cousin who lives in the US and had researched his Stallans with a David Stallan from the UK and another rellie in Oz....plus assorted trips over to England to see where they lived. Well, he just sent me 48 pages in tiny 1 mm print of the Stallans back to 1540 and another 7 page ancestor tree from him back to the same olde gentleman in Suffolk!!

Apparently they were from Suffolk, then Norfolk and then Cambridgeshire. He is wondering if our Forum members could ferret out any ideas on life prior to 1540 for them. I will copy over his query.....

quote.....
    David (Stallan) and I stayed in a 500 yr old farmhouse (thatched roof and all) outside of Norwich, got breakfast too. Can you send me what you got from your genealogy group, might find something. Can you get them to check out Suffolk, I know there's more of us there. How good are they digging out pre 1540 data. I know how we got to Cambridge but not to Suffolk. Maybe they can find out.
    unquote......

OK, I think this would be rather impossible but correct me if I am wrong. This obviously would be all Roman Catholic Parish Records. I have only gotten back to the turn of the 1700's with my Cumbrian ancestors, so think he may be out of luck. I don't understand Latin and it seems that was the language of the church prior to 1700 in that area.

Now that I am typing this, I remember him sending me two Wills written in 1500 and 1540 respectively and daughter Elayne and I spent many hours deciphering them. The 1500 one looked like Arabic! I had totally forgotten who sent them to me.

I had a big advantage in that I must have typed out hundreds of Wills way back when and the language was the same as those old ones (other than using a page to beg a higher power to let them into Heaven, grin).

So just wanted to let you know where this journey into the past took me!! Now I have a lot of work ahead of me to input this data. A gedcom wasn't possible b/c he couldn't figure out how to split off just the Stallans.

I am still boggled at the sheer amount of work they did.
    (+)(^^)(+)

14. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Might you be another who forgets to add 'source' to records? ;)

15. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

One thing that could be a useful starting point is this TNA research guide. It gives loads of ideas as to what may be found - and where. :)

Figgs likes this.
  16. Half Hour

8(:-) Happy news, Heather. I'm sure several of us on here would love to "adopt" him :) Is he shy? Invite him to join ;)

Figgs likes this.
  17. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

No...I source everything I put in my FTM & even 'talk to myself' in the Notes re 'what ifs & maybe's". Eventually I solve those suppositions or toss them.

I hadn't even thought about tracing the Stallans because several of them were working on it. I was pretty good at Wills & old handwriting, so gave it a shot. They were really tough nuts to crack!!

18. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Thanks DB...I will have a look and also point Wilf's nose in that direction. Not sure if he is still up to it. On his last trip to the UK he was very ill on the flight and they stabilized him & sent him back to the US immediately...his choice obviously. He was so disappointed & put research on the back burner I think.

19. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Oh dear.....this man was simply Uncle Walter to Ron and he didn't know his middle name was Brand. In Wilf's tree, I have his info. He is child #3 of Walter Brand Stallan Senior.

Thanks......and this tree is horrible to read. As a jewellery maker, I use millimetres and the capital letters in this tree are 2 mm and the rest is just a hair over 1 mm!!!

20. D Grunewald

D Grunewald New Member

Hi! I stumbled upon your posts and got really excited! I am currently trying to research my Stallan roots and noticed you may have some of Wilf Stallan's research. I was wondering if you could share - my 2x great Grandfather was Joseph Stallan, who married Martha Alderton in London and promptly immigrated to the US.

Sis, Ma-dotcom and Figgs like this.