Walter Edward PERRY

Discussion in 'Mariners & Watermen' started by mugwortismy cat, Sep 7, 2015.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Ditto 8(:-)

Seems I have some reading to do ...

Hmm, me too, Huncamunca when are you holding your workshop in how to search the internet?

Thank you so much :)

Huncamunca likes this.
  2. mugwortismy cat

Well, I have not been entirely idle whilst Huncamunca answered almost all my questions :rolleyes: I had lunch, and I have now looked at the British Army record, yes he was in the reserves, in 1908 the A list, in 1909 the B list, then transferred from the reserves in 1912 at the expiration of his 12 years service

I don't know that he should have left the country before his service expired, but I suppose it doesn't matter too much, he had hardly any time left.

Extra confirmation that the 1901 census is not him, as he was stationed in India at this time.

Interesting he served in the 3rd Dorset Militia at the same time as one of Ellen's brothers, which is possibly how they met. Both were in Kinsale in 1900, and both transferred out; Walter in May when he joined the Dorsetshire Regt., but Ellen's brother in Dec when he joined the Sherwood Foresters and saw service in South Africa and other places.

I have the signatures if anyone wants to do the comparison but I am pretty certain we have our man :D

Army 1900
    upload_2015-9-8_15-51-57.png

Marriage 1909
    upload_2015-9-8_15-52-30.png

Crew lists (1909/1910)
    upload_2015-9-8_15-53-17.png

The crew list one is more flamboyant, I guess he was getting used to signing his name, the Edward is almost exactly the same in all ...

Attached Files:

MollyMay, AnnB, Huncamunca and 2 others like this.
  3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Well, what a wonderful trail of detective work - well done all round. I kept wanting to join in, but the garden had to take priority, it's that time of year.........I did have my thinking cap on whilst tackling the weeds and pruning, just didn't have the time to do anything much about any thoughts.

Sometimes I wish it would rain :rolleyes:

Ann

4. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

yes I think we have our man looks same to me
    only thing we will not know is who left who Ellen or Walter.
    It also looks likely that Vera wasn't Walters wonder if the Kitson in her name has anything to do with it:eek::rolleyes: never satisfied are we:D

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  5. mugwortismy cat

Thank you everyone for all your help in seeing this through :)

If anyone still needs convincing that Walter Edward Perry and Edward Barnes are one and the same, maybe a comparison of the signatures above and the signature from the Canadian marriage will help :)

It's more upright than the others, but essentially seems to be the same hand to me ;)

upload_2015-9-8_23-14-44.png

Sandiep, janetbooth, MollyMay and 2 others like this.
  6. Bill Barnes

Bill Barnes New Member

Mary Angelina Barnes (nee Whitton) was my grandmother. Her husband, was Walter Edward Barnes (I have heard the name Perry). My farther was Edward Whitton Barnes born in Toronto Mar 27 1920. If that helps any,

7. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  8. mugwortismy cat

Hello there C|:-)
    It has been a while since I was looking at this family, it is very nice to know there was a child for Walter Edward and Mary Angelina

I hope all the research from the members here is of interest

Ma-dotcom likes this.