Walter Thomas Carr b 1892

Discussion in 'London' started by annabel, Nov 23, 2019.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

I'm trying to find out the parents of this man and not getting anywhere

He was born in Marylebone MMN Hughes, I can't find an obvious marriage for these names

The only other sighting I have is 1901 census where he a relative age 7 born living at St Mary Stratford, Bow. There is no other Walter Carr born that time so I think it must be him

RG13; Piece: 341; Folio: 90; Page: 34

Emma Barrow, widow, 51 born Bethnal Green, Clothes Hawker
    Patrick, son, 24 born Hackney
    Alice, daughter, 13, Old Ford
    Walter Carr, relative, 7, Old Ford
    Emma L Piedmont, border,
    18, Old Ford

I can't find the Barrow family anywhere else. I think perhaps there are previous marriages involved as there is no birth registration under that name or similar for Patrick that I can find

I know that Walter went to Australia before he got married, I don't want to follow him forward, unless he mentioned who his parents were ;)

2. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

As you are not sure if that is your Walter with the Barrow family, could this be him in 1901 at RG13/215/107/53 - Fire Station, Brooke Road, Hackney, London.

Thomas CARR (head) 38 Fireman born Holborn, London
    Alice (wife) 31 born Malverne, Worcestershire
    Wallis (son) 9 born Marylebone, London
    Maurice (son) 6 born Brompton, London
    Alice (dau) 11 months born Shadwell, London

I cannot find a birth for a Wallis CARR, however Thomas CARR and Alice HUGHES are on the same page on FreeBMD marriage index - Dec Quarter 1890, Upton Registration District (which is in the county of Worcestershire).

3. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

Having looked at the 1901 entry in Bow, I wonder if Emma's surname is actually Burrow.

If so, then there's a family in 1891 which has some points of similarity at 96 White Post Lane, Bow - RG12/318 fo18 p29.

Parents there are Price and Mary A Burrow, and children include Price (14) and Alice (2); could Price have become Patrick? Her maiden name was Mills.

The parents married in 1868; the PR is at Ancestry and shows her name as Mary Ann Elizabeth, which might be a problem. The 1891 entry does have an Emma, but it's a daughter-in-law aged only 21. Hmmm...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  4. arthurk

I think Jellylegs' 1901 find looks better than mine. The same family are at the Old Fire Station in Clapham in 1911, at RG14/2258 sch488.

5 children in total, all still alive; 4 with them in the census - Maurice Frederick, Alice May Hughes, Leslie Arthur and Frank Bernard.

5. Jellylegs

If the family I found is the correct one, then there are Australian Military records for Maurice Frederick CARR on Ancestry. He was killed in action at Gallipoli on 25 April 1914. He signed up on 21 Aug 1914 at Sidney, NSW. Among the papers are letters from his father Thomas CARR, but the one that caught my eye was one from his mother Alice, asking for N.O.K. badge for her sons - the late No. 314 Pte. M. F. Carr, 3rd Bn., and ex-No. 7383 and
    Sgt. W. T. Carr, 6th F.A.B.

Do you know any more about Walter when he was in Australia?

6. Jellylegs

Military records for Walter Thomas CARR are also on Ancestry. When he joined, his "trade or calling" was given as Fire Brigade (same as the occupation of Thomas CARR, found in the census), so could this be something else that ties them together? It give his father Thomas as N.O.K, then later changes to his wife P? Ann Mary. Does this sound like your Walter?

7. annabel

Thank you both. Jellylegs, I've been investigating the Walter/ Wallis family and it looked good. But then your last 2 posts made me doubt it. Walter married Mary Olivia in Australia, and had a daughter in the 1930's :headbang: I'm going to look at the Burrows arthurk found to see where that leads

8. arthurk

Australian BMD certificates tend to give a lot more info than English ones, but the downside is that they can be harder to get hold of, and they can cost a lot.

Big generalisation there, and it varies from one state to another, but if you're sure he went to Oz it might be the best way of finding which family he belonged to.

Meanwhile, what do you have on him already? If you're sure he was born in Marylebone and had mmn Hughes, then Jellylegs' 1901 find looks like the one to go for. I looked around the 1901 Bow family a little bit, and didn't see any sign of Hughes.

9. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

When Maurice enlisted he gave his father’s address as 35 Fernside Road Balham, London. Walter has his father’s address as 63 Gosberton Road, Balham. Walters wife is listed on the attestation papers as Veronica Ann Mary Patricia Carr...long name.

arthurk likes this.
  10. Archie's Mum

Walter Thomas Carr was found dead in the bathroom at his residence Fire Brigade HQ Castlereagh Street Sydney. The gas from the heater was full on. He was suffering from the effects of his war experiences. September 1937
    At the moment NSWBDM are down and I can’t check his parents on the registration

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    arthurk and Jellylegs like this.
  11. Archie's Mum

CARR Walter Thomas. September 9 1937 at Sydney. Dear husband of MAY and loving daddy of Maurice and Margaret. Trove.

12. Jellylegs

Did your Walter die in 1937?

13. Jellylegs

Parents Thomas and Alice (from Australia Death Index).

The coroner's inquest says he died of poisoning by carbon monoxide wilfully (can't read next word) by inhaling a quantity of coal gas.

arthurk and Archie's Mum like this.
  14. Archie's Mum

I wonder if he was known as Wally as a youngster and the enumerator just assumed Wallis.

15. Jellylegs

Found Thomas and Alice at 35 Fernside Road, Balham on the Electoral Registers for 1921.

Looking at a map, Gosberton Road was the next road along fron Fernside Road.

16. Jellylegs

A Walter T CARR married a Veronica FOWLER in 1915, Sydney, NSW. I wonder if this is the wife mentioned in his army records? I think this Walter was discharged from the army on 8 Aug 1919. There is a letter addressed to Mrs. V.A.M.P. CARR in 1919 giving info of when he should be returning home from England.

Walter Thomas CARR didn't marry Mary Olivia BARKER until 1927, so if this is the correct Walter CARR's army records, his first wife could have died or they got divorced. A copy of his marriage certificate to Mary Olivia may prove helpful.

17. Archie's Mum

CARR V CARR In Divorce Sydney Morning Herald 4/7/1925 (absolute in 1926)
    Desertion was the ground on which Walter Thomas Carr sought a divorce from Veronica Carr (formerly Fowler) to whom he was married at Sydney on September 6 1915 according to the rites of the Roman Catholic Church.

arthurk, Jellylegs and Ma-dotcom like this.
  18. annabel

Well aren't you all amazing, thank you. I didn't know when Walter died, I just knew it was in Sydney. So it looks like it is the right person after all. I never would have worked all that out. Poor Mary and the children left behind. Now to follow the family backwards in London

Jellylegs, arthurk, Chimp and 2 others like this.
  19. arthurk

Well done, everyone :)

Jellylegs and Chimp like this.