Want to have a crack at this one?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Findem, Apr 8, 2021 at 3:41 AM.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Put this one up for two reasons, one to make you shudder and glad it's not yours.:)

The second and main reason is to get your opinion of what the entry states, if anyone can read it that is.

I think it's the eighth entry down from the year "1659".

The background
    Looking for the Susan(na) Sparke who married William Handler in 1686 at Panfield.

I found the Wethersfield Susan plus Susan Spark born 15 Dec 1666 and baptised 21 Apr 1680 at Colchester St James, the daughter of William and Thomasin.

I tend to favour the Wethersfield Susan Sparke because William & Susan Handler named their first son John, Susan's father was named John, plus Wethersfield is close to Panfield and Braintree where most of their children were baptised.

I could only find one sibling of Susan's, Alice baptised 23 May 1675 at Wethersfield, I wonder why. :rolleyes: :D

Attached Files:

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Looks to me like Susan daughter of John Sp......

Findem likes this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I can find a Susan Sparks who married Remige Bains in 1679 in Colchester but just wondering if the Susan Spark who married in 1686 might a bit on the older side (for the times) if born in 1659.

Findem likes this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I couldn't read it sorry Derek, eyes unwell today.
    @Archie's Mum, 27 isn't too bad for a marriage perhaps she was unavailable earlier.
    The 1680 Baptism sounds like an adult one- perhaps baptised before marrying. I think this is what I meant may be hallucinating.

Findem likes this.
  5. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

looks like
    Susan daughter of John Spark 16/8 Nov

Findem likes this.
  6. burt

burt Where there's a will there's a way!

Although it may benefit from some enhancing of
    the image, I think it says-
    Susan daughter of John Spark baptised September ye 7th
    Years back at Somerset Record Office, I would have been
    peering at the Original Register (without Glasses) under an
    ultra violet light!

Findem likes this.
  7. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Thanks everyone for having a try, I realised what a pig it would be to decipher when I posted it.

According to Family Search, the gist of the entry is Susannah daughter of John Sparke baptised 10 May 1659.

I could work out most of it but the month as far as I was concerned could be May, July or Sep, I couldn't make out the day of the month at all, that by the way was with the image in 'Documents' on maximum magnification!

Although I bemoan the state of the PR I suppose I should consider myself lucky to have been able to find Susan.

I'm going to have yet another try at finding her father's marriage and more siblings but I don't hold out much hope, might find the marriage, mangled, in another parish. Just remembered I haven't checked my hard copy of the ERO's list of parish register holdings to see if there are Transcripts or Bishop's Transcripts.

I guess Ancestry's transcribers threw in the towel on this entry, haven't been able to bring it up on Ancestry's EPRI.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021 at 4:14 AM
    Sandiep likes this.
  8. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

The only marriage I could find was John Sparke married Mary Phillips 28 Oct 1650 at Stambourne, Essex, both were single and John was of Clare which is just over the Essex border in Suffolk.

I could find no children born or baptised at Stambourne but haven't yet checked to see what's available for Clare yet.

Stambourne is only a few miles from Wethersfield and well within reach of places like Panfield, Braintree and Bocking, so feasible.

I did find another child of John Sparke, a son Thomas, so now I have :-
    Susan Sparke baptised 10 May 1659.
    Alice Sparkes baptised 23 May 1675.
    Thomas Sparke baptised 5 Oct 1677.
    All three baptised at Wethersfield, father John, no mother's name.
    I'm guessing the gaps are due to the state of the Wethersfield PRs assuming there are other pages in the same condition as the page Susan's baptism entry is found.

There are BTs but they start at 1800, there are Transcripts which cover the period where other children could be found but whether they have entries that are missing from the Wethersfield PRs on the EPRI, I suppose depends on when they were transcribed.