War Crimes?

Discussion in 'WWI (1914 - 1918)' started by Ma-dotcom, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

How often have we heard or read of the many children evacuated to other countries during WW1, & the terrible life they were subjected to?
    How is it that those persons given the role of care takers were not charged with war crimes or at least crimes against children?

I have just read & am left in tatters,"A Home in the Country by Sheelagh Mawe".
    Whether it be a true account or not it was so believable & repugnant, yet beautifully written, I had trouble opening the book again each time I'd had to leave it. Added to which the book I borrowed had the same picture- only more of - as is on the FMP website.
    One little girl always appealed to me, but now I may have probs going to FMP again.

Sometimes I have wondered if it ever may have happened that Parents sent their children off- for safety- & disappeared, never to reunite with their children again because that's the way they wanted it.

2. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

It's difficult when a book has this effect. Give it time. I only got halfway through the Hannah Duston book my sister gave me for Christmas. It's a very "hard read." Requires too much focus and setting aside personal feelings. I agree that the toll of war on children is just awful. :(

Sis and Chimp like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I have just remembered the Fairbridge Farm School scheme here in Australia and had a quick look into the events taking place now regarding the abuse these children suffered both in NSW and Western Australia.
    One child, now an ex politician, born in Sussex, is involved in the inquiry. The little bit I read says that he was one of the lucky ones whose Mum didn't sign over guardianship so he was able to get back with his family in Australia at a later date. Others weren't so lucky.

4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues