Wedding nerves or clerical error

Discussion in 'Church Records' started by Ma-dotcom, Jun 13, 2019.

1. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Forgot to say that he also mentions his daughter in law Elizabeth Allen CLAY, widow, & 3 granddaughters Ann Susannah & Elizabeth Anderson CLAY, so if he had a son Thomas Isaac CLAY could this be his widow & daughters?? No, they are the children of George & Elizabeth Alleyne CLAY all baptised at Rotherhithe.

Janet

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Ma-dotcom likes this.
  2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

@janetbooth , you've excelled again Janet, thankyou. I admit i had no luck finding the marriage licence for George Clay & Sussana Phillips.

I also think somewhere along the line I mixed up children of a 'George Clay'.along with Thomas Isaac, I had baptisms for a Susannah & Sarah at different dates.
    I must leave further searching until my computer is quite sorted out. Too many Georges about also.
    My Thomas Isaac was in fact an Allard child before his Mother Sarah married Liddard. :oops::rolleyes:

Sis likes this.
  3. janetbooth

I'm glad I am not the only one who gets muddled! Just as a reference, Ancestry have the following baptisms at St Mary Rotherhithe:

12 Mar 1769 Sarah daughter of George & Susanna CLAY, aged 23 days
    12 Jan 1772 Susanna daughter of George & Susanna CLAY, aged 24 days
    02 Jun 1775 Ann daughter of George & Susanna CLAY, aged 23 days
    27 Jun 1777 George son of George & Susanna CLAY, aged 25 days
    24 Mar 1782 Martha daughter of George & Susanna CLAY, aged 30 days
    06 Apr 1784 Hannah daughter of George & Susanna CLAY, aged 30 days
    29 Nov 1786 Mary Ann daughter of George & Susanna CLAY, aged 22 days

There is a baptism at St Mary Rotherhithe on 15 May 1774 for an Elizabeth daughter of John & Susanna CLAY. Don't know if this is the daughter Elizabeth Spearman CLAY referred to in George's Will and the incumbent put in the incorrect father's name.

Janet

Sis likes this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Thank you Janet. I have the above apart from Mary Ann b.1786 but I remember writing down '22 days old' for someone. Trouble is I've been saving to external drive, so have two paces to go to search when I write them all up.
    ah found her in early part of notes when I was still looking for George, but 22 days not mentioned here. May have been someone else.
    I think George may have married an Elizabeth but no positive find yet, possibly Elizabeth Allen.
    So much searching here, & to think I really only started out to see if George Clay whose dtr Sarah married my Liddard cousin [1st x 5times removed:)] may have been connected to Charles Clay who married my 3rd Gt.Gt. Aunt Mary ann Male. :rolleyes: It was meant as a break from sorting DNA rellies :D

Chimp and Sis like this.
  5. janetbooth

I know the feeling! I usually start off by trying to tidy up uncles and aunts, recognise a name, go off at a tangent researching said name and spend many happy minutes/hours getting totally sidetracked. However, in my defence, my lot did seem to intermarry an awful lot, which according to my other half does explain quite a few of my characteristics. I wonder what he means???

Janet

6. Ma-dotcom

You have to love him Janet & ask no questions. However there is often more truth in what we scoff at than we'd have believed. ;) Learn from his wisdom & maybe find more hitherto unfound rellies :D

janetbooth likes this.