Weeting, Norfolk: baptism 1740

Discussion in 'Church Records' started by Flook, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

This baptism page can be easily accessed as follows>

http://www.dustydocs.com/link/26/32...1725-1812-burials-1725-1812-familysearch.html > click on (Date Range) 1725-1825 > Click on (Record type) Baptisms, Marriages, Burials > go to image 11

In the baptism line for William Tompson on October 14th there is an equals sign after William followed by a word I can't make sense of. Can anyone help with what the symbol means and what the word is?

2. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

I think it says "= Baker son of Thomas & Mary TOMPSON". Could it be that he was baptised William Baker TOMPSON or that Baker was his mother's maiden name. No clues that I have found in any other baptism around that date as it seems to be one on its own and no other similar entry.

Janet

Flook likes this.
  3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I agree with Janet, that it reads "= Baker", but I can't fathom why the = sign

Flook likes this.
  4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Just to put the cat among the pigeons...

To me, it looked like an abbreviation of the word 'Baptized' - similar to the heading on that page - which made me wonder if the = was saying "baptised as the son of..." meaning that William was not necessarily the son of one or both parents listed.

If you see what I mean.... :confused:

Flook and Archie's Mum like this.
  5. Flook

Oh lovely - I like cats & pigeons:).

Any further suggestions are more than welcome.....

Daft Bat likes this.
  6. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

I'd agree with Janet on this, that it looks like a surname, and I wonder if it might be some kind of alias.

Have you found the couple's marriage, and did they have any other children baptised? If so, are there any clues in those entries?

Flook likes this.
  7. Flook

Not yet Arthur. I have what I think is my Thompson/Tompson line of descent which is centred around Northwold at this time (about 6 miles north of Weeting). I can go back to the 1670s with that but I've only just seen this Weeting entry and it needs to be investigated as it's so close to what I only think is my line. It would be derelict of me not to see if I've made a mistake somewhere!!

Edit: I just stumbled across this entry almost by accident and it just struck me as odd.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    arthurk likes this.
  8. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

Hi Flook
    blew it up but even with my glasses on!! still not sure looks like could be Base son? not much help
    the name Weeting made me look back in early 80's we lived in Northwold!! then I saw you mentioned it further down first time I have ever seen it mentioned, not that we are from there so wouldn't be any help!

Flook likes this.
  9. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I can see what Jan sees there, maybe it was a slip of the pen, as his thoughts were on Baptisms, & the = sign to emphasize as the son of Thomas & Mary.
    I landed on image 3 first in error & the same = marks were used there. When I went back to check the image kept moving about or staying small & I wasn't up to persevering.

Flook and Daft Bat like this.
  10. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

When I first saw it I thought maybe William was not their natural son...as Jan has said earlier...bapz as son of....
    Image 3 does have the same thing i.e = but not after the child's name, instead it's after the date. As he goes down the page the = turns into - then just dots after. Maybe just what he did on that particular day.

Flook, Ma-dotcom and AnnB like this.
  11. Flook

Thank you all very much for your thoughts and ideas. I'm still sitting rather uncertainly on the fence about this. I'll have to look deeper into the register and see if there are any further clues - and, if I've got time, see if I can reconstruct this family (which I really ought to do).

Sandiep - I still haven't been to Northwold even though I have so many forbears from there and the surrounding villages. I could happily spend a couple of days traipsing around the area!