Wethersfield, Essex (lookups)

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Adam McGregor, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Adam McGregor

Adam McGregor Active Member

Hello,

I'm looking for James and Sarah Rogers. Married in 1801 in Wethersfield as James Rogers and Sarah Manfield. I don't know when either died or was born, but Sarah is alive in 1841 in Wethersfield, and probably died in 1845 or 1851. I don't know what became of James. I can't access the records on FamilySearch or FreeREG.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Adam

2. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

The 1845 death for Sarah Rogers in the Braintree Registration District has an age at death of 84 so born 1761. So cannot be Sarah who married in 1801.

The 1851 death for Sarah Rogers, in the same registration district, has an age at death of 72 so born 1779. A Sarah Rogers age 72 is in the 1851 census at piece 1785, Folio 331, Page 15 but is shown as unmarried

No burial record for Sarah Rogers from 1844 to 1852 in the Wethersfield parish register

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  3. Adam McGregor

Thanks for looking!

4. Lusmum

Lusmum Well-Known Member

Don't know where you found the marriage in 1801, fmp doesn't have it. Not in the whole of Britain. I did find a Sarah Rogers on the 1841 census age given as 60 birth date 1781. I also found a Sarah Mansfield bap. 4 May 1781 father Thomas also Sarah Mansfield bap. 26 Mar. 1780 father William. First one was in Stanford Rivers Essex and second one in Great Chesterfield Essex...

5. Adam McGregor

It was on FamilySearch but I can't see it there now. Maybe it's not genuine?

6. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

At St Mary Magdaline church, Wethersfield, Essex their banns were published on 4, 11 & 18 October 1801.
    Then:
    James Rogers bachelor and Sarah Manfield Spinster were married by banns this twenty fifth day of October 1801 in the presence of Peter Rogers ? Ansell. Can't read the forename of the Ansell witness someone else may be able to.

6.JPG

7. Sis

1851 census in the Braintree Union workhouse there's a Sarah Rogers, born Great Dunmow, Essex c.1779.
    HOUSEHOLD SCHEDULE NUMBER: 1
    PIECE: 1785
    FOLIO: 331
    PAGE NUMBER: 15

8. Sis

OK, sorry forget this one. Had another look and they've transcribed the wrong birth year. Should be c.1791.

9. Adam McGregor

Thanks for all of this Sis!

Sis likes this.
  10. Sis

I have PM'd you.:)