What a family.... Not mine

Discussion in 'Criminal Ancestors' started by Chimp, Mar 29, 2015.

1. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Three months unpaid hard labour

Could Larm/Laim be Laun an abbreviation of Launceston?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Chimp likes this.
  2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

My take...
    Station of Gang, Delersine. 15/1/95
    Emerged from Gang 26 March 1846, 1`5 Feb.4t.Lought(prank after a public ...... after hours.....soletary-/cet/
    5 ----- Goreng? Cause of Absent with outleave.Three m..s Augst & hard labr. Unbridge./WO/----18/12/48-
    10 July /49 David Cause-- Miserio'st refusing to work 14 days solitary - a signature.
    5 Aug. /50 Muller- Cause drunk-fined/died? signature 23 Jan 53.../Laim/ cDrunk fined 5/.
    20 Sept 53 Tl/:laun/ drunk fined 5/.
    the remarks first 4 lines are a little beyond me after todays Baptisms.so I'll leave the rest for rested eyes also.

Elsiesgirl and Chimp like this.
  3. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

I can't help I'm afraid, as the new improved Tasmanian Name Index doesn't work on my laptop. The images don't load at all. So that's the end of my own Tasmanian research too. :(:(:(

4. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Thank you all very much for your help. It is appreciated muchly :)

Oh dear Jane, What a shame :(

5. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Station of gang is Deloraine

Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  6. Chimp

Thanks AM :)

7. Margaret Jones

Margaret Jones New Member

8. Margaret Jones

Here is a transcription of Richard's Conduct Record. Richard married Charlotte Hamstone/ Hampson nee COOKSLEY. She was also a convict who came on the Emma Eugenia in 1842 to VDL. If you go to this site: Female Convict Research Centre (FCRC) and go to their database; search for Charlotte COOKSLEY you will find transcriptions of various documents for Charlotte, Richard, his mother Sarah CHANDLER (transported to NSW in 1818 of the Friendship), his cousins Francis & Morgan, his aunt & uncle - Francis & Ann Bowen and other cousins Richard Edward & Sarah Bowen who emigrated to Victoria. You will also find info about Richard's brother Peter. He wasn't whaling at the time of his death in 1830. He had been re sentenced to 7 years transportation in 1827 and sent to Macquarie Harbour penal settlement, Tasmania. He was part of the crew of a boat sent out to pilot a supply ship through "Hell's Gates", the entrance of Macquarie Harbour when a storm hit and they all drowned. The convicts built ships & whaling boats at Macquarie Harbour (see TROVE, digitised Australian newspapers (National Library of Australia) for the full story.)

Conduct Record of Richard CHANDLER per “Sir Robert Peel”, 1844

Tasmania Archives & Heritage Office (TAHO): Convict Conduct Record CON33/1/63, Richard CHANDLER per “Sir Robert Peel” 1844

Number: 14975 Name: Richard Chandler Tried: Presteign QS [Quarter Sessions], Radnor; 4th July 1844

Sentence: 10 years Embarked: 5 September 1844 Arrived: 26 December 1844

Religion: Protestant Education: Can Read & Write a little

Transportation details:

Transported for stealing wool Gaol Report First conviction single Stated this offence Stealing wool 53 lbs [pounds] at Radnorshire “Single” Surgeon’s Report Good.

Trade: Tailor Height: 5.5½ Complexion: Fresh Head: Oval Hair: Dark brown Age: 36

Whiskers: Brown Visage: broad Forehead: Medium high Eyes: Blue Eyebrows: Brown Nose: Large

Mouth: Large Native Place: Radnorshire

Marks: Stout made scar on side of right hand; scar on right wrist

Period of Labour: fifteen months

Station of Gang: Deloraine 15/1/45

Class: PPH [Probation Pass Holder] 3

Offence & Freedom Details:

Emerged from gang 26 March 1846

15 February /48 Longfd [Longford] Drunk and in a Public House after hours. Seven days solitary /CA/ 5 December 48 Young /AM/ absent witht [without] leave. Three mos [months] imprt [imprisonment] & hard labour. Tunbridge. /WG/ Appd [Approved] 8/12/48. 10 July 49 Davis /AM/ Miscondt [Misconduct] in refusing to work. 14 days solitary. /PM/

11/6/50 T.L. [Ticket of Leave]

5 August 50. Miller. Laun. [Launceston] :/ Drunk & fined 5/- /WG/

23 January 53. TL. Laun. / Drunk & fined 5/- /JE/

20 September 53. TL. Laun. / Drunk & fined 5/- /WG/

23 September 53. TL. Laun. / Drunk & fined 5/-

Cert Free [Certificate of Freedom] 7/7/1854 Launceston

Remarks

3/6/46 J Brown Deloraine; John Brown Deloraine; 5/6/46 <W7>; 19/6/46 PB [Prisoner Barracks] Laun. 1/7/46 G. Parker Norf Plains [Norfolk Plains] 2 mos; 11/10/47 12 mos; 22/2/48 H. Clayton Longd; [Longford] 23/8/48 D. Ln [District of Launceston]; 30th June Davis Ln; 30/10/48 D. Ln. & to Jn Young Ln. 5/12/48 P. B. LN. 15/3/49 D. Ln. & to Jn. L. Ison Ln. 16/4/49 D. Ln. & to James Davis Ln. 10/7/49 G Ln [Gaol Launceston] 28/8/49 D. Ln. & to Jn. L. Ison Ln. 4/10/49 D. Ln. & to Alex. Miller, Ln. 19th D. Ln. & to Thomas Miller, Ln. 19.2.50 Applied in 4 mos for a T.L.

Location Information:

7/6/45 <Off> 21/4/46 <????G> off 18.1.50 Supt Ln [Superintendent Launceston] 4.2.50 Rep [Report] 7.6.50 Rep [Report]

TAHO: Convict Conduct Record Image 43; CON33/1/63, Richard CHANDLER per “Sir Robert Peel” 1844

Eve, MollyMay, Chimp and 4 others like this.
  9. Archie's Mum

Thank you Margaret. :)

10. Archie's Mum

I have no idea why I didn't look at this 2 years ago. Probably indisposed with only one wing but Margaret has urged me to look.
    Sarah Chandler is listed with a permission to marry convict Denis Moran aka Morris in 1827. He is listed as 60 years of age arrived on the A.D. Charles. She is 48 years of age and bonded.
    A marriage appears on NSW BDM for Sarah Chandler and Dennis MORROW, St Johns Parramatta 4190/1827V4190 3D.
    On 31/3/182, Sydney Gazette, Sarah is listed with others as on the run from Parramatta Female Factory.

Ma-dotcom, Sis, Chimp and 1 other person like this.
  11. Archie's Mum

I don't know what happened to Sarah because in 1828 Denis Morrow is in Pitt Town as a tailor (according to a tree) and dies in 1839 (can't find his death) but in 1836 he appears as marrying Mary Ann Slogan 10/10/1836 at St James Bathurst Street Pitt Town (incidentally he is on the register the previous entry to the Artful Dodger's, Thomas Nixon (as a witness) :)
    Did Sarah do another runner? Or is she deceased, again I can't find her.
    Denis Moran/Morris/Morrow was convicted at Fermanagh in 1812 for life as an Irish Rebel and arrived on the Archduke Charles.

Sis, Chimp and Elsiesgirl like this.
  12. Margaret Jones

Sarah is also mentioned in the NSW Colonial Secretary papers. (see NSW State Archives & Records (NSWSARA) site). She was sent to Newscastle female factory in 1819 & then to Port Macquarie in 1822. I haven't been able to find her death anywhere. I wondered if she went looking for her family in Victoria. Nephews, Francis junior ended up in Victoria with his brothers Morgan, Edward & Richard & unmarried niece Sarah some time after 1846 around the Hesket. Richard was an alderman on Melbourne Council in the 1880s & 90s. Her brother Francis senior & sister in law Annie were also in Victoria. I've looked in Tasmanian, Victorian & NSW BDMs. I'm going to have a read through the Parish Records at NSWSARA to see if I can find her burial.

Sis, Chimp, Elsiesgirl and 1 other person like this.
  13. Archie's Mum

Thank you Margaret and welcome to TD. It is lovely to have you with us.
    So. If this is the correct Denis and I assume it is, then as he and Sarah married in 1827 and he then married again in 1836 then she must have disappeared fairly quickly after their marriage. She certainly was a worry!

Sis, Chimp and Elsiesgirl like this.
  14. Margaret Jones

She certainly was. I'm really curious about her. There are a lot of articles on the net about her. They are mainly reproductions of the newspaper article (1845) about the Bowen family and her escape from Presteign Gaol. Hopefully I can at least find her death.

Sis, Chimp, Elsiesgirl and 1 other person like this.
  15. Archie's Mum

As for Denis Morrow marrying Mary Ann Slogan, I can find no trace of that surname anywhere. Not that it matters, just curious.:rolleyes:

Sis and Chimp like this.
  16. Elsiesgirl

Elsiesgirl Well-Known Member

All this is fascinating. A great thread. I keep thinking that family must have been desperate to get to Australia (only joking)

Sis and Chimp like this.
  17. Chimp

Wow thank you Margaret. Welcome to Top Dog by the wayC|:-). That puts some more meat on the bones. I tend to do a lot of research for the area where I live, but must admit to having forgotten about this. Thank you for bringing it to the fore once more.

Elsiesgirl and Sis like this.
  18. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

My thought exactly Elsiesgirl!;):D:rolleyes:

Chimp and Elsiesgirl like this.
  19. Margaret Jones

A reasonable number of convicts deliberately set out to commit crimes that would get them transported especially if a relative had already been transported. Recently looked at a mother & daughter Mary & Eliza Bryan who openly stole pewter drinking pots from a pub in London in 1841. They stood outside the pub & waited to be arrested, which they were. Eliza (aged 17) was transported for 7 years to Tasmania. Mum (aged 50) was imprisoned for 3 months. When Mary was released and found that Eliza had already left England, she walked into a shop and openly stole a pair of boots and once again waited outside the shop to be arrested. She told the judge that if he didn't transport her she would continue to ..."go a thieving..." until she was transported. Unfortunately for Mary she was always sentenced to imprisonment and eventually died in 1876 in a workhouse in London. Mary & Eliza lived, like many others, in a part of London that had no sanitation, was highly overcrowded and miserably poor. I guess any escape was an option. They say that transportation to Australia generally added 20 years to the live of convicts.

20. Archie's Mum

By 1841 things were quite good here. Much better at this end of the world. My ancestors got it right.
    I'm helping my 11 granddaughter at the moment with a school project about her heritage. Well! Isn't Grandma having the best time telling her about all our thieving ancestors and how they made a great life for themselves and those that followed. She wasn't too sure about it when we started, that she was related to criminals but she's got it in context now and is showing some pride.

GrannyBarb, CaroleF, Daft Bat and 4 others like this.