What became of Mary Ann Linley?

Discussion in 'Yorkshire' started by Adam McGregor, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Adam McGregor

Adam McGregor Active Member

Hello,

Mary was born in Thorp Arch in 1818. She is last seen living with her father Thomas in Thorp Arch for the taking of the 1871 Census. Can anyone please take a look to see what became of her? I did order one possible death certificate (in the Barnsley area if memory serves), but that wasn’t her.

I’d appreciate any help!

Adam

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Well, I have had a good rummage round and can find neither a marriage nor a death for her. :(

I did find Alice (Thomas' Grandaughter on the 1871 census) but that was no help - except that her surname was spelled LINDLEY.

By the way, FMP has the surname in the 1871 census transcribed as LINBY :rolleyes:.
    1871 Census: piece 4296, folio 30, page 22

Her brother John also seems to have disappeared, although he may well be in an asylum as he is recorded as an "imbecile" in 1871. :(

Adam McGregor likes this.
  3. Daft Bat

What happened to the father, Thomas? I cannot see a burial for him in Thorp Arch. Did the whole family move away?

Ah - just found Thomas' death registration in Wetherby RD, September quarter 1873 aged 83.

4. Adam McGregor

Yes, that was the only death that fit for him. It was at the workhouse, and he was buried in Wetherby itself :( recorded as a farm labourer, which fits with all the census records.

Daft Bat likes this.
  5. Daft Bat

Just had a look at the Workhouse website, which has a transcription of the 1881 census. Thomas' son John is in there, but no sign of Mary. :(

Adam McGregor and Bay Horse like this.
  6. Adam McGregor

How peculiar! I’ve searched the travel records on FMP, in case she emigrated. No luck. I’ve just checked, and the death certificate I bought was for the Mary Ann Linley buried in Gawber on the 28th of August 1879.

7. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

I've just looked at the family in 1861 (RG9/3540 fo97 p11), and as well as Alice (shown as aged 1) there are two other children in the household: John (9) and Elizabeth (6). The GRO birth index has no mother's maiden name for any of these three, which makes me suspect that Mary is their mother.

The Thorp Arch PRs are at FMP. I haven't looked at the images, but the index/transcript of the baptisms seems to support this idea. Actually I didn't find Alice there, but there was an Emily in 1845 who might belong.

It might be a good move to find out what happened to all these children, as if Mary was their mother, it's possible she would have gone to live with one of them after Thomas died. (Look for other children too - I don't guarantee to have found them all.)

Ma-dotcom, Daft Bat and Adam McGregor like this.
  8. Adam McGregor

Did you find a birth registration for John? He’s my ancestor, christened in Thorp Arch in 1852, the daughter of Mary Linley. I hadn’t managed to locate his birth certificate. I’d not seen Mary having any other children, but I’ll certainly start looking into that.

9. Adam McGregor

And here’s both Alice and Elizabeth in 1901:
    Code:
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9R3-62D
    So Alice didn’t marry, but Elizabeth married Mr. Jennings. She’s with them on every census from 1881 to 1911. First few children born in Rawden (Rawdon?), and in Horsforth in 1881, where their brother John also lived, and where my ancestor Sarah Hannah Linley was born in 1871. I can also see a George Linley, son of Mary, christened at Thorp Arch in 1842, who’s living with his aunt and uncle on the 1851 Census.

Edit: marriage registration for Elizabeth and Joseph Booth Jennings -
    Code:
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2DG2-LQF

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  10. arthurk

There are two possibles at FreeBMD, both in the Tadcaster district - Mar qtr 1850 and Sep qtr 1851. Neither has a mmn in the GRO index. Based on the age in 1861, I think I'd go for the one in 1851.

They also both appear in Yorkshire BMD, which gives the sub-district they were registered in: the 1850 one was in Aberford, and the 1851 one in Bramham. I'm not certain, but I think that would suggest the 1851 one too.

In all of these the surname is spelled LINLEY, and easily found.

11. Adam McGregor

Thanks, not sure how I could’ve missed them. Perhaps it was because they weren’t in the Wetherby area, and I discounted them. I’ll order them both before long.

12. arthurk

I should have looked at a map before posting earlier. I knew Aberford and Bramham were close to each other, but I now see that Bramham is between Aberford and Thorp Arch, so the John Linley born in Bramham in Sep qtr 1851 seems much more likely.