What did a Draper's Artist do exactly?

Discussion in 'Textile Workers' started by mugwortismy cat, Jun 2, 2013.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

A distant cousin worked in a large linen drapers turned department store on Tottenham Court Road in London. His (and several other young men's) occupation is noted as Draper's Artist ... I've tried to convince myself that it says Assistant (or similar) but to no avail ...

thanks

Christel

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Any chance that you could post a snip of the occupation - or post the census reference? That way, we can have a look at it.

The only thing that I have seen that comes close to a "Draper's Artist" is a "Drapery Painter" - someone who was employed to paint the clothes (drapery) onto a painter's subject in a portrait.

3. mugwortismy cat

Would you pour scorn on my head if I admit that I can't remember who it was. It was a member of a family I was looking at a couple of months ago. I thought it was one of the Ayers from Swanton Morley but it appears not -- may be an allied family. I'll dig around a bit more, and hope to get back to you ...

4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

No scorn - it has happened to all of us at some point. :)

5. mugwortismy cat

OK, found him, as I thought a relation of the AYERS, it is John William Metcalf JARRETT in 1891 (listed as John W Jarrett)

I can't work out how to snip a clipping right now; so here's the census ref: RG12/119 121 p31; its St Pancras parish, 106-118 Gower Street, which was the dorm/lodging house for the male staff of the deparment store

Now I am looking at it again maybe it does say Assist rather than Artist. I'd be grateful to know what you think it says; Assist(ant) would certainly make more sense to me!

thanks
    Christel

6. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

It does look like artist but it says 'assist' - FMP transcription agrees - assistant

7. mugwortismy cat

Thank you MollyMay, assistant it is then.

I knew that this department store was one of the first to go in for "scene dressing" and at first I thought that's what the job title (draper's artist) was referring to, but then I figured that this probably wasn't the full-time duty of so many of the employees ...

... draper's assistant is a much more sensible option. How foolish am I!?

Christel

8. mugwortismy cat

btw, the department store was James Shoolbred & Co, apparently once a bg and quite classy establishment, est. in the 1820s and ceased trading 1931. They expanded from linens into furniture in the 1870s

9. Yeates

Yeates Active Member

heh heh...actually, I really like 'mistakes' like these. How much more poetic, 'draper's artist' than draper's assistant.'---Yeates

mugwortismy cat likes this.